[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D17 front tires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D17 front tires
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:56pm
My SI D17 WF needs new front tires badly.  So I am looking at some tri rib or 4 rib replacements.  It has 5.50x16 on it now, but as I have a loader I was thinking going bigger - how big can I go on these rims?

I like the looks of the tri rib, but I don't have power steering so am a bit worried about steering effort and finger bruising.  Maybe the quad rib "roadable" would be a better way to go.  I use this tractor for brush hogging, disking, plowing, post holes, - rough ground stuff as well as flat field.  Not on the road much, just to the neighbors once and awhile.  Anyone have experience with both?

cheers,

Creek
Sponsored Links

Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:08pm
I run "high flotation" or "Multi rib" tires on my loader tractors, at least the D Series ones.  A lot of tire dealers get the two confused, and frankly, I am not even sure exactly what the difference is.  If you look at the tire manufactures websites, the tread looks the same, and the ply is as well.  The nice thing about the flotation tires is they do steer easier, and they are less likely to rut up the ground as much if it is slightly soft.
Still on the farm:
WC C WD WD45 WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP D19D D19LP 190XT-D 190XT-LP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7045 3-7060 N7
In the weeds: 3-U UC 2-G B C 7-WC RC WD-LP WF D-17D D21 210
Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:13pm
I run 7.50-16 tires on the stock rims and have about 1/2" of clearance by the spindle, I also have 6.50-16 tires on another and they have about 1" of clearance by the spindle. I would think your 5.50-16 tires would be too small for a D17 with a loader on it.
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:17pm
Creek: Here is what I have on a 17 Series IV - Firestone 6.50 - 16 6 ply Champion guide Grip 3 Rib.   No loader on it.  

For engineering calculations, if you have a one yard bucket figure full bucket = 3,000 +/- full load.  

I have a 615 with one yard bucket.  On the front are  B. F. Goodrich 10 ply tires.  The wider the rim and tire the better distribution of dead load of the material in the bucket.  
Issue on the 17 is that the bigger the tire the closer it gets to the spindle. The rims on the 615 are offset out away from the spindle to carry the bigger loader tire without infringing on the spindle...HTH's

Good luck.... Orangeman
Creek Jenkins View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Creek Jenkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:24pm
Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.  I never thought about clearance to the spindle.  I try not to lift too much with the old girl, 700 or 800 lbs, the loader is not in the best of shape.  Even then the front tires pretty much squat flat, so you are right Matt.  They are in rough shape, cord showing, no tread but they still don't leak.  Must have good tubes. 
Sounds like the flotation or multirib tires are the way to go.  I might try the 7.50s to help keep the front end from sinking when I am digging in the compost pile.
Cheers,
Creek
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 5:24pm
I should have given you what I have on my 17.  I run an 11L-15, it is mounted on a non stock rim, I didn't measure the offset, but I have about 1" of spindle clearance.  I just don't like the idea of not spreading out the weight over the ground.  

Actually it's kind of funny a front tire slightly wider on a D19 ran over my leg when I was younger, dad was backing away from the tub grinder with the 2000# bale still in the bucket, and somehow I was in the wrong place at the wrong time, and he ran right across between the knee and the ankle.   Fortunately there was a small amount of hay on the ground, and I laid down real quick, and other than a really weird feeling of my leg being asleep for a few minutes, I walked it off.  I am guessing here, but about 1/3 of the weight of the tractor, half the bale weight, and about a 1/3 of the loader weight went over my leg, that's how good these tires are about spreading the weight out.
Still on the farm:
WC C WD WD45 WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP D19D D19LP 190XT-D 190XT-LP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7045 3-7060 N7
In the weeds: 3-U UC 2-G B C 7-WC RC WD-LP WF D-17D D21 210
Lester View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lester Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 7:00pm
5.50 are pizza cutters. Standard size on D-17  is 6.00. I run 7.50 or bigger on my  D=17 and when I had the laoder on I had 10.00x16s on.
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:46pm
When I had a loader on my series IV D17 (with 6 bolt hubs) I bought a pair of 11:00x16 3 ribs off the back of a Gleaner. I don't know what model, they were already off the machine. They had the right offset and they were great for the loader but kind of hard on tie rod ends.
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:18pm
Dave: When you got the tires of the Gleaner were you able to take the rims with them too and put them directly on the 17?
Dave in il View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in il Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by orangeman orangeman wrote:

Dave: When you got the tires of the Gleaner were you able to take the rims with them too and put them directly on the 17?

The tires were mounted on the Gleaner combine rims, my tractor has six hole hubs so they bolted right on. The only modification was painting the rims cream to match my tractor. LOL! The large tires made steering with a full bucket much easier but the tie rod ends wore out a lot faster. 

Edited by Dave in il - 01 May 2012 at 5:55pm
AGCO My Allis Gleaner Company
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic