This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Does this sound fishy?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does this sound fishy?
    Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:35am
This was a response I got from Craigslist where I advertised my chisel plow and the same exact response for both my feed mill and disk.

Hi

Am Bardy by name i saw your posting on craiglist  am really interested in buying

it....Please kindly get back to me if you still have the item set for sale.....

Thanks

Bardy.C
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Sponsored Links

David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:38am
The broken English would make me leery.
David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
Skyhighballoon(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skyhighballoon(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 8:56am
Lonn - we posted some household items on Craiglist about a month ago and got some similar responses.  If they didn't include a local phone number or didn't ask very specific questions about the item, just ignore them.  Replying to them only gives them your real e-mail to send you spam.  Mike
1981 Gleaner F2 Corn Plus w 13' flex
1968 Gleaner EIII w 10' & 330
1969 180 gas
1965 D17 S-IV gas
1963 D17 S-III gas
1956 WD45 gas NF PS
1956 All-Crop 66 Big Bin
303 wire baler, 716H, 712H mowers
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Skyhighballoon(MO) Skyhighballoon(MO) wrote:

Lonn - we posted some household items on Craiglist about a month ago and got some similar responses.  If they didn't include a local phone number or didn't ask very specific questions about the item, just ignore them.  Replying to them only gives them your real e-mail to send you spam.  Mike

X2

And with that email, they may try and hack your computer.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:18am
The common thread in all the spammers queries is "is the item still available", or something close to that. Whenever I ask a question on a Craigslist ad I never ask if it's still available, I ask something specific to the item.
orangereborn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangereborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 10:34am
I had this happen the other day. I called my phone carrier about a billing problem and the
person answered. Stated the purpose of my call and He said I had reached the promotion dept. I asked to be transferred and He said he could do that but had a promotion of $6.95 shipping and handling for a $500 Wal-mart discount card. All he needed was a credit card number and then he would transfer me to his supervisor who would complete and verify, issue the verification number.  The supervisor would transfer me to customer service.
I kept asking why Verizon was in the promotion business and was not getting a straight
answer. I played him for a while and finally stated no and He was still talking when I hung up. Decided to call again and find out why customer service calls were going thru promotions. So looked for another # to use and found that I had dialed one digit off and did not even have Verizon. I'll bet that by the time I had reached "the supervisor," I would have a real mess to deal with. He was good and wonder how many he got........Dale

Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 11:33am
Definitely a spammer trolling for addresses.  I've just stopped using the email option at all in my Craigslist posts.  If they want the item bad enough, they should be willing to make a phone call.  I suppose some folks aren't comfortable giving out their numbers on a public site, but I've just gotten fed up with all the spammers.
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by JohnCinMd JohnCinMd wrote:

The common thread in all the spammers queries is "is the item still available", or something close to that. Whenever I ask a question on a Craigslist ad I never ask if it's still available, I ask something specific to the item.

Darn, and here I thought that "is the item still available" was a legit question.....
no wonder people arent responding.

Edited by Gatz in NE - 11 Apr 2012 at 12:52pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 1:46pm
OK, I sent a response right away before I even posted on here to get advice from you guys. In my response to him all I asked was where he was located and if he would like to see the chisel plow. I never responded to the other email from him about my feed mill or disk. Here's what I got back........ BTW this pretty much says enough that he's a scammer.

Sounds Good,

I am ready to purchase it asap.I anticipate that I'll have a Certified Check issued out to you from my bank.I'm in no rush with you till fund's are cleared in your bank which takes only a day. You do not have to bother yourself about the shipping.  I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up at your door,when you must have gotten your cash at hand. Kindly e-mail me back with your physical address
such as :

Name,
Address (NOT P.o.box)
City, State, Zip-code,
Phone Number.

I will be sending the payment via Overnight FedEx Express Mail Delivery  .You can delete the advert asap

Thanks
Bardy Cole.

Edited by Lonn - 11 Apr 2012 at 1:54pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 2:32pm
Ding, ding, ding! Yep, just another d$mn idiot from Nigeria!
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

OK, I sent a response right away before I even posted on here to get advice from you guys. In my response to him all I asked was where he was located and if he would like to see the chisel plow. I never responded to the other email from him about my feed mill or disk. Here's what I got back........ BTW this pretty much says enough that he's a scammer.

Sounds Good,

I am ready to purchase it asap.I anticipate that I'll have a Certified Check issued out to you from my bank.I'm in no rush with you till fund's are cleared in your bank which takes only a day. You do not have to bother yourself about the shipping.  I'll instruct a Shipping Co Agent to come for pick up at your door,when you must have gotten your cash at hand. Kindly e-mail me back with your physical address
such as :

Name,
Address (NOT P.o.box)
City, State, Zip-code,
Phone Number.

I will be sending the payment via Overnight FedEx Express Mail Delivery  .You can delete the advert asap

Thanks
Bardy Cole.

WOW.  I got the exact same reply about a year ago when I was selling a loader except the person skipped the "is the item still available" and went right to the above statement. 
1944 Allis C
1960 Allis D-17 LP
Char View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Char Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 1:05pm
I have an ad on Craigslist selling my Jeep and got the exact same email word for word from this Bardy Cole. I never responded because it just sounds too fishy. Now I am glad I trusted my instincts!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 2:48pm
Easiest was is have Mr Cole send a USPS postal money order for the exact amount by USPS certified mail, return receipt required,  and say once it has cleared the Postal Service and he has the receipt back to contact you.
  Seems if no one else will do anything on the fraud the USPS still takes using the mail service for fraud as a NO NO 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Randy(Mo) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Randy(Mo) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm
I had one that said they would put money in my paypal account, what is the good or bad about that. Can they get to my account if the money says it is there????
LoggerLee View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoggerLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 5:36pm
If they get complex at all about payment I just tell them I suspect they are scum and tell them if not then they can come look at it in person, if they need the thing I'm selling they can come get it.

I'll ship stuff but I'd sit on it a long while to make sure everything is cool before I sent it.
Mostly I buy, not sell.

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 6:03am
I replied in email, which he already has my email address, to either give me a phone call or give me a number to call him. I got the exact same reply he gave me in his last reply. Moving on.
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic