This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1957 B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1957 B
    Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:25pm
 Does anyone here own a '57 B?  Dad and I recently bought one with the late 3-piece cultivator and I'd like to compare notes.  I see lots of upgrades that came from the CA, and even some things that only came on the latest CA's.  This tractor has the bypass thermostat housing, no shutters or hole in the grill, the late CA style clutch pedal and torque tube, the pull type starter switch, oblong washers at the front of the brake covers, 1-3/8" PTO shaft, etc, etc... There can't be too many left.  Mr Swinford's Bible shows that only a few hundred were built in 1957.  

Edited by BrettPhillips - 10 Apr 2012 at 12:28pm
Sponsored Links

morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 12:37pm
My '52 B also has the pull-type starter rod, holes in the torque tube, 1-3/8" PTO shaft so they were making them like that for a little while... Not sure about the rest but I'll look when I'm home next.
Charlie175 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie175 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 1:06pm
I didn't see that one over there!
Charlie

'48 B, '51 CA, '56 WD45 '61 D17, '63 D12, '65 D10 , '68 One-Ninety XTD
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 3:30pm

Morton:

I think the break for the features you mentioned was some time around 1951 or 52, so yours would likely not have the bypass thermostat system.  You probably don't have the last style clutch pedal either (a good thing if you're looking for a new return spring!).

Charlie:

Dad hadn't gotten the itch when you were here last!  He said something about buying a Cub for the garden and I couldn't stand for it.  When this B came along, I pointed out that we could share implements and it was all down hill from there.  The fact that it was from the last year of production was icing on the cake.

AC Tundra View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:44pm
127361 yup only 100 newer than mine.
What do you mean another tractor, honey? That tractor has been here for years.
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 5:56pm
A friend had a 1957 model stolen many years ago. That one came from the factory with the PTO deleted but had all the other CA carryover features. Not sure on the bypass or not. Had 10-24 tires instead of 9-24. And adjustable wide front and dished rears.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 8:58pm
AC Tundra:  Yours is newer than ours! I'm surprised to see that your tractor doesn't seem to have the Snap Coupler features or the "joystick style" dual hydraulic system. Is there a possibility that you could post a picture showing how the clutch pedal return spring hooks up?  This is one area that is confusing to me, since only the late B and late CA use this style spring and clutch pedal.  It looks like one end hooks over the pedal pivot pin, and the other end hooks to a cotter pin on the push rod (like the older B, C, and CA).  Is this correct?  
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:02pm
If I remember correctly, someone posted info that the joystick system actually comes with the plows or cultivators.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:31pm
Yes, the dual hydraulic system was an option, as was the Snap Coupler kit.  It seems like a lot of the later tractors had these features though, so I guess I was surprised that a very late B seems to have neither one...
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2012 at 9:37pm
your clutch spring should connect through the hole in the end of the pivot shaft and the other end to the cotter pin. My parts books show the same spring, 226310, for both the later Ca and the later B. Bob
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2012 at 6:35am
Thanks Bob!  That helps to clear it up.
AC Tundra View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Tundra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 9:56pm
sorry it took so long
What do you mean another tractor, honey? That tractor has been here for years.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:13pm
Sweet!  Thanks a bunch for the picture.  I have some detail pics of Dad's '57 that I will post some time soon.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2012 at 9:52pm
Brett, I checked several tractor clutch petals.
The early B had a hole in the petal, between the pivot and the rod, for the spring.
1 of my CA's has the spring attached to the cotter pin that is in the pivot shaft and the other end in the clutch rod but the pin goes from side to side , not up and down. the other one has a different spring and 1 end goes right through the hole in the pivot shaft.
Bob
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:16am

Brett

A 57 B is a great find. You and your dad should have lots of father and son good times with this great tractor.    I knew they were different than the average B but didn't know just how different.                                      Ken in Texas

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic