This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ELECTRONIC IGNITION

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELECTRONIC IGNITION
    Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:34am
I have a D-17 that I'm considering putting an electronic ignition in. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them? Do they work well? Do they last? Anyone not like them? Appreciate your input.
Sponsored Links

cwhit View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cwhit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:55am
We have elect. ign. on 2  tractors around here. I wouldn't go back to points- cond. ever again.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 5:57am
We sell and install quite a few of the Pertronix E.I.'s. Quite often when a customer wants his Distributor rebuilt, he or she asks for us to install an E.I. We carry the 6VPG kit, the 12VPG kit, and the 12VNG kit in stock for the Delco Distributors. Also carry some of the other popular kits for IHC etc in stock. Overall, they are a nice upgrade to the older point Ignition systems. Quicker starts, equal amount of current to each spark plug. And quite realiable. Optional high voltage coils are available also which we keep in stock, although they are designed to work with the OEM system components. Just remember tho, if you ever have to charge the Battery in your Tractor, disconnect the Battery. You could easily spike the module and blow it out with a Battery charger or jump starting it. Other than that, as I said, a great upgrade... HTH
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 6:31am
Go to a MSD. Points will wear out rub block befor they burn up. Plugs will last almost indefently. Voltage from charger won't hurt them.   MACK
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:03am
I have had a Pertronix unit in my CA for many years. Liked it well enough I got one for my Oliver 60 too. I also got their matching Flamethrower coil to ensure compatibility. I opened the plug gaps to .045 and both tractors start and run better than they ever did before.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:22am
I put a Pertronix in My 1968 Corvett 15 years ago. and I haven't touched it since. I got tired of fiddeling with the dual points setup evry time I took it out of storage. since putting the pertronix in I haven't touched it. starts better and I no longer have a high speed point float. Idles great and pulls strong all the way past redline. I keep saying I want to put one in my WD45's but the points just keep on working.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:05pm
Steve's comment about being able to blow them up is why I will not buy them.Mighty d**n silly that for less than a buck, they can be made 'bullit proof', but seems no one does.Yes, they do work but having been an Avionics tech, PC repair, Industrial tech,as well as design my own remote energy systems, I have to shake my head as to WHY they 'cheap out' on an otherwise fine product.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Richard View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 4:29pm
I put a unit in my 45 from Genesee Products a number of years ago and haven't touched it since.  Engine runs super smooth from idle to wide open.  Replaced the coil as well.  I've had good luck with it.  I asked the man before I ordered it if they had any returned. He advised if it worked past 4 or 5 hours it would likely work for years.  I have no regrets.  
j.w.freck View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j.w.freck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:26pm
got petronics on all my 45,s.opened the points to ,040,all work great...
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:46pm
Appreciate all the info. I had put new points in the D-17. For some reason the plastic is wearing out against the disributor shaft, and the point gap keeps closing. This was after only a week of running it. I was concerned it would wear down to the rivets and, ground out. So I figured I'd put an EI in it. I wanted to know if guys were happy with them since I've never used one before. Thanks again. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 8:58pm
Grab a hold of the rotor and see if you can rock the main shaft back n' forth. If it moves more than .002-.005" the Distributor needs a rebuild. Shouldn't wear the rub block out in week. You'll need to get it done so you can install the E.I. and not have any problems with the magnetic pickup on the E.I.
Steve@B&B    
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2012 at 9:21pm
Thanks. Who's got them for sale?
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 5:45am

I  don't like the petronix . I do like as Mack said the msd . I also like the chevy Hei distributor converted to fit the allis. 

Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 11:53am
All of our tractors run mags except for one WC and we do run the Pertronix upgrade in that one. It has worked great for over 4 years. Had a bad starter for a while that needed lots of jumps/battery charger boosts until we wised up and replaced it. Never did disconnect or isolate the battery from the ignition circuit when charging, and ignition switch got left on a couple of times long enough the coil was hot enough to blister your hand, but the EI module is still carrying on like the Energizer Bunny! Steve's advice to disconnect battery before charging is wise advice. Kip 
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:13pm
We do Distributor rebuilding, recurving, and restoring. Have an exchange program on them also. Can also install an E.I. in the Distributor for you if you want, if your's needs rebuilding. Drop us a line.  customcircuits@gmail.com
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 8:38pm
+ on the Pertronix- use the right coil, and if that bushing is worn, give it a basic overhaul, clean up the weights and pivots, and it'll be good for another 55 years and-then-some.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic