This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WD generator test?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WD generator test?
    Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 4:53pm
What is an easy way to test my original generator? I've noticed that it will not charge anymore with low or hi charge switch position.
Thanks,
KC
I've got anal glaucoma, I just can't see my butt going to work today!
Sponsored Links

stu(ON) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu(ON) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 5:42pm
From an old post:

51117396RE: generator

BrianJasperco.Ia

6/24/2009 3:17:04 AM

Generators can be easily tested on the tractor. With the belt off and all wires disconnected, run a hot wire to the "A" terminal. The gen should spin like a motor. While it is spinning, ground the "F" terminal to the case. It should slow down, but continue to spin.
I have had several generators that had the springs on the brushes either stuck or broken. A quick unstick got them working again

Ted in NE-OH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted in NE-OH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 5:53pm
Don't forget it could be the cutout relay that is the problem. If it is a two terminal cutout, jumper it with the engine running and see if it charges then.
CA, WD, C, 3 Bs, 2 Gs, WC, I-400, 914
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2012 at 9:20pm

Just run a wire from the "F" post on the genny to ground. Use tractor frame or go to the battery ground wire. This should make the genny charge at full output. Bob

KC/WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 7:24am
Ok, y'all probably already know this but just to make sure I'm understanding this. Note, my battery is positive to ground, so easiest test is ground "F" terminal to frame or the ground on the battery, correct? This should peg out my amp metter.
Thanks,
KC
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 1:41pm
Thats correct KC.  Grounding the F/field terminal will make the generator charge to its maximum.  If the cutout is bad it may not allow it to charge and show on the guage, so you should bypass it by using a jumper wire between the termals, but dont do that unless the generator is turning  as it will show a large discharge on the amp guage. Good luck
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2012 at 1:51pm
You might want to check the output at the genny before tearing into it. A bad wire anywhere in the circuit could cause the juice not to get to the amp meter or battery. Just because the gauge doesn't show a charge doesn't mean the genny is not working.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
KC/WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 1:21pm
Generator diagnosis:
No charge at ALL with grounding "F" terminal! Looks like a rebuild is in it's near future, front bearing is sounding pretty rough anyway. This is the second time in four years I've rebuilt this genny. Is that normal???

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 2:40pm
No. a good rebuild should last as long as the original. Where are you checking for a charge? As I mentioned before, you can NOT depend on the meter to tell you what  isn't working.
KC/WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 3:07pm
CTucker, I am using the gauge for charge reference. With the tractor running, jumping the F terminal to battery ground, also jumping out the cutout switch.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by KC/WD KC/WD wrote:

CTucker, I am using the gauge for charge reference. With the tractor running, jumping the F terminal to battery ground, also jumping out the cutout switch.

There could be a broken wire and the gauge won't tell you anything. Check it at the genny or use the motor test (see post above about removing the wires and the belt) to find out if the genny is any good before going any further.

KC/WD View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KC/WD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 3:51pm
I see what you're saying and will do that final test. Thanks!
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 7:12pm
  IS THE GROUNDING SC REW IN THE BAT BOX??????????? COULD BE A BAD GRD.
  ALL OLDER TRACORS ARE THAT WAY    AC-IH-JD  NEED GROUNDED
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 8:11pm
Remove the band and clean the comuntator with sandpaper, no emerycloth, check the brushes and brush springs. A broken spring will cause problems. The motor test is a good test. I also use a spare amp meter with a wire and alligator clip connected to it, with the tractor running, F terminal grounded, cutout disconnected. I connect the alligator to the A terminal on the genny and touch the other amp meter terminal to the neg post of the battery. This bypasses the tractor wring and just tests the genny. Bob
stu(ON) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stu(ON) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2012 at 9:42pm
When you think that you have received all of the help that you can stand, read this old thread for the final word:

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic