This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buda, IL

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buda, IL
    Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 10:15am
On my travels to Kory Wagon in Manlius, IL yesterday, I stopped in Buda, IL and took a look around to see if anything was left from the original Buda Mfg company 1881-1891 era that Allis-Chalmers later purchased in 1953.  I met a nice fellow there.  He now works for the Buda, IL Van-Packer chimney exhaust company which is now situated on the same site as was the old Buda mfg company.  Neither one of us was sure if their present day office building was the same used back when, but the railroad spur was still there and still being used to transport items to and from Van-Packer.
If you have a copy of "The Allis-Chalmers Story", author C.H.Wendel, on page 55, it shows an aerial picture artwork of the old Buda mfg site.  If that picture is accurate, the 3 railroad tracks are still like it shows along with the street just east of the factory.
I was over joyed to be walking around where George Chalendar organized his company back in 1881 to build railway carts.  His later endeavors at Harvey, IL plant where he moved to in 1891 eventually lead to the great allis diesel engines we now enjoy.  Anyone else on this site ever visit Buda or know more about it?   
Sponsored Links

MikeyIL View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeyIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:03am
Living within 30 miles of Buda, I've travelled through Buda but was never aware of this history.  I'll have to slow down next time through there and be a little more observant.  Thanks for sharing this small bit of history!
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:52am
Mikey,  There is not much in that small town.  It is easy to see why most people would not stop and look around.  Route 40 runs north-south through the western part of the town.  From route 40, there is a main street towards the east that takes you across the railroad tracks.  There is only maybe 2-3 downtown buildings in the old business district.  Im thinking Buda mfg moved to Harvey,IL because of the abundant opportunities of being next to Chicago.  Plus, at the Harvey, IL site, it had 3 major rail lines that intersected their real estate.  

I was astonished to find out from the guy that visited with me at Van-Packer that their business was either 3rd or 4th largest in the world for exhaust - chimney mfg.  Here is a weblink to their site.  If you click on the news button it shows pics of what they build in that sleepy little town of Buda, IL.
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2012 at 1:27pm
every time I go through Buda I wonder if anything is left of the old Buda factory. I live 20 miles from there. Thanks for sharing. 
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic