[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Junk/Salvage Yards

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Junk/Salvage Yards
    Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 1:45pm
Hi all! Just registered for the forum here, although I've been a follower for awhile now. Just thought I'd start by asking what/where your guys' favorite junk/salvage yards are for old tractors, trucks, and implements. Thought it might be kinda fun to see what pops up. I know I would appreciate some insight on what's out there. Thanks- Sam
AC WD; Case- VAC, 830, 1070, 2290; MM m670; Ford 961; Agco RT155; 1954 Ford F100
Sponsored Links

Sam R View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:18pm
The reason I ask is because the one I knew of with gobs of old tractors, near Battle Creek IA, informed me they no longer allow customers to walk through there yard because of insurance reasons, which is understandable. Beings most of us here are admirers of this old stuff, was hoping to hear of other locations with some hidden treasures.
- Sam
AC WD; Case- VAC, 830, 1070, 2290; MM m670; Ford 961; Agco RT155; 1954 Ford F100
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 6:33pm
Sounds like nobody wants anyone else going to their salvage yards and getting parts that they'll never get.  Funny thing is on here is people almost always don't mention auctions and want to keep it secret so they might get a deal when in fact if their looking for a deal they probably won't end up with what they wanted in the first place.  Not only that neither will someone on the forum.  I'll get off my soap box.  

I don't know of any salvage yards around me.  I've heard there was one around here but can't recall where or who owns it but I think the guy gets on here from time to time.  There was a good one near Bluffton Ohio that I've been to when I lived near there that had a lot of Gleaner parts.  When I was a kid my grandpa and I went to a salvage/junk yard and bought a rim for my WC.  I wire brushed it and it had a couple of holes but looked good after I painted it and we put a tire on it.  Within a week or so we went to a dealer and they had a NOS WC rim there for $5 or $10 more than I paid for it at the salvage dealer so I'm leery of them from the get go now.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:36pm
I find that I have better luck with Back yards than I do with Salvage yards. even better luck if the gentleman that owned it has passed awa and his widow wants it gone. Most of the time the owner won't sell anything, even if it's been rusting into the ground for years. He plans on fixing it "oneday". Kinda like me.LOL!
My experience with salvage yards is they want a bit too much for something that's already worn out. Guess they aren't in business to make friends though....
I didn't do it! It was a short, fat, tall, skinny guy that looked like me!
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:26pm
  Hello  Sam  WELCOME   What type of parts are youu looking for???   We have restored several "boxes of tractor" over time with parts and pieces over the internet
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:30pm
isn't there a farm salvage yard in orange city?
Bigrigger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigrigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:36pm
Wellert's here near Wooster, Ohio has a lot of old parts. I checked into getting an E model Gleaner engine to put in my D-17 from him. He said at that time he had some. Even complete combines. I think he's even put together some pulling tractors as well.
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 8:40pm
We've had good luck with Cooks in Clinton, MO.  They've usually got what we're looking for and half the price of new.  they have auctions every month.  Bought a lot of stuff there over the years.
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 9:32pm
Bryon, Spallinger Combine parts is still there and going strong. Anderson tractor parts is just down the road from them.
stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 5:54pm
I've only used Cooks tractor in Clinton, MO it's about an hour drive from here. But I don't think they let you walk around in there either.  
1969 190XT series 3
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
Petes tractor salavage is on the internet. they even have thier own runway.  No local yards around here. Most farms have there own junk yard out in the tree rows.

Edited by Dakota Dave - 24 Jan 2012 at 8:34pm
m16ty View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m16ty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:34pm
There used to be a bunch of big salvage yards scattered across the country. With high scrap prices a lot of the stuff has ended up on a slow boat to China. Also, a lot of the remaining salvage yards have scrapped all the older stuff and only keep late model stuff on hand.
mtanut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 4:18am
There is one about 45 miles from me and honestly I have never been to it. Mostly back yards, but on my A2 and 185 Sandy Lake imp has a bunch of combines out back, and they dismantle tractors too.

Edited by mtanut - 25 Jan 2012 at 4:24am
I have a 185 Allis, 6060 Allis, SMTA ferg 35, ferg 20 (paps first tractor, Allis B (wife's)John Deere 240 skid loader and a bunch of the usual farm stuff.
David Maddux View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Maddux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 5:53am
There are a lot of good vendors that frequent this site that have decent yards. If I name one I would have to name them all. Let them chime in. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic