This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Brush cutter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Brush cutter
    Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:29pm
What is a good brand of brush cutter that is reasonably priced? Looking to buy a 72'' with at least a 60 HP gearbox. Will mostly be used for cutting tall thick grass, cornstalks and very light brush. Is the chain guard option across the front a necessity? I've been looking at Bush Hog (nice but higher priced), Kodiak and King Kutter. Any other brands?
 Thanks in advance.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Sponsored Links

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:36pm
Woods , Priced a 7 footer last fall. Was reasonable.They claimed it was good for most cutting,They do have a heavy duty version which was much more but do not know if it is needed for what you described
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Boogerowen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogerowen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:38pm
Bush hog is hard to beat, for the price ......I have one that has been used HARD for over 40 years, and is still working good........
79fordblake View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 79fordblake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:53pm
My family has had good luck with the old Lilliston cutters. You may be wanting to buy something new though.
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 5:57pm
Bought a brand new heavy duty Woods .. 8 footer 2 years ago ..... cut 3 inch thick brush , amongst other things like waterways , and Crp..Strongly recommend it ... 
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
190xt View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 190xt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 6:42pm
I bought a new bush hog about 6 years ago for my 190 xt 84 inch it was a little more money but it has held up really well i do not have the chains front or rear but i only use it for mowing trails
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:17pm
They all have standard duty and heavy duty, I bought a 84 in Land Pride heavy duty 2 years ago, I like it, 5oo less than a Bush Hog, 125HP gear box, should stand up to my 185, I would recommend the front chain guard,
stray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:14pm
If cost wasn't a issue I would by a Sidewinder, their heavy duty unit don't have a gear box at all. It uses a tire to drive the stump jumper. I have a old 84" one that my father inlaw gave me a couple years ago. I've mowed almost anything I want you might get a little blue smoke off the tire and that is it. But they are expensive and very heavy, it will make the front of my Belarus front wheel assist with loader feel a little light on the front in road gear. My second choice would be a Bushhog or Rhino but not one of their light duty ones.

My father has a 72" Landpride "Light Duty" that he uses with his 3000 Ford and he hates it. He only mows what they can't bale in his 20 acre paster and the tail wheel is alread damaged repaired and beefed up. I also don't have a front chain gaurd and it will cover your feet with grass, I keep telling him he is going to hit something hard with it and its going to stick into him. So get the chain gaurd and make sure there is a cable thuogh the bottom links tying them together.

Edited by stray - 22 Jan 2012 at 9:17pm
1969 190XT series 3
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:36pm
I put a lot of hours on Landpride's light duty series and never had a problem pushing the hp of my 175D through it. For the money I think they are about the best.  I bought my last one about 3 years ago an it looks like new yet....of course I have only used it a couple of times since I picked up an 8 ft John Deere MX8......I bought a new Bushhog 3008 this fall and I like the way it cuts, but it is built pretty crude compared to the JD. Paint was flaking off of it already when I picked it up.....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 9:40pm
I've got the medium duty Bush Hog, I think it's a 286 model with the chains in front.  The 6 footer is a good match for my 170.  Bought it 6 years ago and no problems thus far.  It cuts good.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 7:29am
Bought this little jewel from the local JD dealer three years ago.  Eight foot made by Ag-Meier in Texas.  Pulls great behind the D-17 and if you drop it down right on the skid plates it mows like a finish mower.
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 3:59pm
I looked at a Kodiak today, they seem like pretty decent units. This one was medium duty with 90 HP gearbox 72''.  Still looking.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 5:05pm
An older John Deere is had to beat.  I have a 709 7 footer that I picked up 2 years ago for $750.00.  No rust.  Rated at a 4" cut!!  I bought a JD 1008 10' tow behind last year that the front center section was rusted out of because of leaving grass on it for $600.00.  It worked fine, but Ii am in the process of replacing the rusted section right now.  Tough mowers that do a good job cheap.

Edited by Rawleigh - 24 Jan 2012 at 5:05pm
ky wonder View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ky wonder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 6:08pm
i have a pair of old 6 footer trail types,

one is a woods that most of the metal is gone on  where it was parked in the weather without clearing the residue, it looks like hell, but cuts like a dream, it has a double acting cylinder, and a shear pin protection, and i picked it up last summer at auction for $150.00

the second is also a trail type, a old hd bushhog brand again it aint pretty but it does a great job cutting, i got it at the same sell but it looked better and had a new cylinder and hoses, as well as a slip clutch in the drive line so i ended up paying $300, for it

i picked up a couple of three point mowers at the same sell one was a howse 6 footer and the other was a old woods, i paid 65 for the house and 75 for the woods and sold them both within a week for $250 each

keep your eyes open at farm auctions, and consignment sales and you will be able to find a good older unit cheap
i like old tractors of all colors
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic