This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Brakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Harley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Brakes
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:27pm
Just finished the right wheel brake relining.  Sure is a lot easier after the experience of the left brake.
Interesting failure mode...The debris from the brake lining plugged the drain hole and let oil collect and flood the brake shoes.

Sponsored Links

norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:58pm
  14&15 are the same---17 is different   will not interchange
Harley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
Just finished left brake relining.  It was a bit of work due to my inexperience.  I think the right wheel will be much easier.
Two things made it more difficult than it shouldhave.  I didnt remove the step completely because I didnt want to take down the hydraulic line. The two studs on the bottom of the final drive were always in the way.  Solution some masking tape to hold the studs up out of the way.
The first time with the final drive back in place, the brake was not functional because the dog inside the brake assembly had slipped out of place, so start over.
secondly, I needed to disconnect the linkage completely to totally retract the brake shoes.
The learning curve was steep and my patience short, but I got it done.
The cherry picker was indispensible for moving the tire and handling the final drive.
My d15 serial number is 1783.  Must be a series 1.
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Series 1 brakes are a fiber lining like a D14. Series 2 brakes are ceramic and cannot be relined, expensive from agco...like 200/shoe

can always buy series 1 lining and drill rivet holes in your shoes

yep Don that is what I did on my 15 II
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 11:00am
Series 1 brakes are a fiber lining like a D14. Series 2 brakes are ceramic and cannot be relined, expensive from agco...like 200/shoe

can always buy series 1 lining and drill rivet holes in your shoes
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:42pm
Not a terrible job but the parts are heavy.  My previous owner had replaced several studs with bolts so I found out you had to have a pan handy to catch the oil, too late.
My pads were oil soaked, so you are lucky if the seal was good.  
Brakes work fine now.  I did have to replace return spring on the rod.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
Harley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 6:31pm
didnt see much oil. Brake lining seemed tobe dry

Scott(SC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scott(SC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 5:32pm
Did you have any oil on the brakes? If there's any leakage, the seal is right there easy to change.
Harley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 4:19pm
Thanks for the advise on getting the final drive off.  Pulled it off this afternoon with the cherry picker; no problem.
so now what is next?  Looks like two bolts and one nut will take the holding plate off and the shoes should slip right out.
Is that right or am I going to have trouble getting the shoes off.
Drum looks good.  Shoe was broken which is what was causing the brake to grab and lock the wheel.

wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 3:04pm
Put brakes on D 14. Took  wheel off  and fender and step jacked up final drive housing put saw horse under axle housing and pulled it out . Did,t have lift  but was a lot younger and stronger . PS I did have it blocked good.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 2:41pm
If the D15 is like the D17, there are a couple pins that can be "fun" to remove. On the D17 you have to pull the pins and remove the brake shoes before the final drives can be removed.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:54pm
Goodto hear your going to fix them, it's hard to believe some people use these old tractors without any brakes. I did a brake job on a WD45 that the guy used for haying and had done so for years with no braking force at all. After he got it home (driving it ) he called me to say he should have fixed them years befor!!
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:36pm
Do as Dr. Allis says and you will be fine.  Just make sure you have open room around the wheel when you roll it out of the way.   Once it starts to tip over, no man is gonna straighten it back up, so make sure you have a clear path just in case so you can get out of the way and let the wheel fall over if it does.   I have done them outside in the past and close to my work van which has a big cube box on the back.   Then I just roll the wheel over to the side of the truck and lean it up until I am done.   You may even be able to center your cherry picker on either side of the rear wheel and use a strap around the top and once it is free, jack it up some and roll it away on the picker, and then set it up against a wall and let it back down.   Also make sure you got the tractor blocked good as taking a loaded tire off of one side takes alot of the weight off of the back, and then you're gonna take the final drive off on one side as well, so the rearend's weight will really be offcenter.   Good luck and if you have any more questions, you're in the right place for answers. 
1955 WD45 diesel 203322 was my dad's tractor, 1966 D15 23530, 1961 HD3 Crawler 1918, 1966 D17 IV 83495, 1937 WC 41255, 1962 D19 6221
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:22pm
Is it a sderies 1 or 2?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 1:03pm
Jack up one side at a time and remove the eight rear wheel bolts from the axle center. You make have to get behind the wheel and pry it free with a long pry bar, so leave one bolt loosely installed until you break the wheel center free. Carefully tip the top of the rear wheel out a bit and roll the wheel back and forth to clear the final drive and roll it out of the way and lean it up against something and do not let it fall over on it's side. Yes, it's heavy, but it is not that difficult to roll away clear by yourself and a helper as long as you don't tip it too far.  Remove the fender and get it out of the way. Remove the axle/final drive with your cherry picker. You'll have to sling this in a way that lets it hang squarely as the final drive isn't on center top to bottom on a D14/D15.
Harley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2012 at 12:07pm
OK, cant put it off any longer.  My D15 brakes are dangerous.  Left brake grabs and locks and the right brake has no effect. Tried adjusting right pedal up to same hight as left but still no brakes.

Where do I start. Dont have an overhead lift to remove liquid filled tire but do have an engine hoist, that tri pod hydraulic thing that can lift 2000lbs.

Can  I do this with my simple tools?

Got to have this 1960 model for next hay season.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic