This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Starter
    Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 8:51am
Does an Allis B starter fit on a CA?
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
Sponsored Links

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 10:30am
What year ,B
MilesGray (CO/KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 11:12am
1938 - 40. I have about 10 extra starters that I got in my deal and I have a chance at a CA for my Christmas present... I have no problem buying one for the CA, but since I have a bunch, it would be nice if I didn't need to.  Most of them are Delco starters, and they all work.
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

5 1938 B's, 1940 B, 1944 WF C, 1948 NF C, Gleaner A, White Top Rotobaler, 1957 IH Golden Jubilee... I'm either a collector, or crazy!
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 1:31pm
The parts book shows that at tractor # B 113779 and up the starters are the same on B's and CA's. I think the only difference is that they turn the starter body 180 degrees to put the switch on top which is why CA's and newer B's have a factory dent in the bottom of the gas tank, room for the switch lever. Other than that all B/C/CA starters are the same. That's my theory.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:10am
Well, after getting pictures of it; it is a C not a CA so, it looks like I will be buying a 'New' C for Christmas along with a white top Rotobaler with the original owner's manual and I will be the third owner... Go Orange!!!
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:08am

Any starter form B,C, or CA will work on any of these tractors. The late model Bs & CAs use a different toggle on the starter switch to work by pulling the starter rod instead of pushing it. Kip

HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:15am
Put a solenoid on the tractor with a key switch and they will all work.
You can get rid of the lever unless you are taking it to show and tell.
Someone at show and tell will gladly point out to you that you don't have an original tractor.
They like doing that for some reason I never understood.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:20am
You may have to put a stud on them for the hot wire but that's and easy job.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:55pm
Will one of Miles starters work on an RC?  If so, Miles, whatdaya want for a starter?
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 8:57pm
The CA's f4rom 1955 and later use a differant starter. the drive gear is  alot smaller.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MilesGray (CO/KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 1:19am
JohnCO... Clean out your pm box.
Miles Gray (CO/KS)

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 6:30am
Miles the late starters have the switch on top and the early B's have them on the bottom. The starters have a dowel pin that keeps you from rotating the head 180 deg. I drilled a new hole for mine and made it work  for my late model B.  It should work fine for a C.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2011 at 9:32pm
Will do.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic