[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car battery warranties are worthless. COSTCO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car battery warranties are worthless. COSTCO
    Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:33am
I bought a truck with Kirkland Signature batteries in them sold ONLY at Costco at their starting to go bad after 51 months, (I've owned the truck for just over 3 years).    I live about 90 miles from Costco so I called to see if I could get my 50% off warranty, (as stated on the battery), and they said I can't unless I can find the original owner.  That is RIDICULOUS.  Car batteries have their date stamped on them when purchased and the warranty information all there.  They said warranties are nontransferable.  I could see requiring a membership to get the exchanged battery but requiring me to find the original owner?

Now, I could see if it was a branded battery, like Interstate, that I could have gotten anywhere but this is a Costco brand sold only at Costco. 

The guy said they don't scratch numbers off batteries which is crazy.  Even if you go by manufacturer date it's under warranty.

So, anyway, I'm extremely disappointed with Costco.  I was looking forward to getting a membership and maybe a TV now I'm just ticked.

I just tried posting this on Costco website giving them another chance to respond and after filling out all the form it said it's unavailable.  LOL

Needless to say I doubt I'd ever shop at Costco.

Sponsored Links

Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:50am
Boy, That wrecked your day.
They have their rules and that's that.

I found a Wal-Mart battery in a barn I was cleaning out.
Owner said take it.
It wouldn't take a charge so just for the heck of it I took it back to Wal-Mart.
It still had all the stickers on it so they new if it still was under warranty.
It was.
They said they would have to test it to make sure it was bad.
It was.
I said I didn't have the receipt and they said no problem.
You will just have to take it to customer service.
I did.
Walked out with a brand new battery.

I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:10am
Didn't wreck my day as it saved me driving three hours round trip and spending more money than I should so it's a blessing in disguise.  Their policy is SO ridiculous I just couldn't believe it.

I've tried to exchange one other car battery in my life and they wouldn't warranty that because the post was melted off.  So, car battery warranties re useless.

I'm not a Wal-Mart fan but your experience with them is the way it should be.  I bought a wireless keyboard from Amazon and when I got it it was bad.  They sent me a new one and I sent the bad one back in the box they sent and they paid shipping and that's the way that should work too.  I've bought several things from Newegg and if you don't have any issues with a product your fine but their return policy is useless.  I've gotten bad hard drives, (two in a row), from them and you have to pay shipping to send it back.  You'd think they wouldn't send out junk.  Also, they don't any negative feedback on their comments page about Newegg only the product.  Anyway, I buy very little from them now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 11:49am
Amazon is a really good place to shop with no hassles on returns.
The only thing is make sure what you are buying is coming from Amazon and not one of there private vendors.
It will say:
In Stock.
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.
I Love Meatballs and Dumplings on Toast with Gravy and Rosemary and ??? {Open For Suggestions}
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:03pm
Yeah.  Newegg has their "marketplace" and even Sears has something where other vendors can sell.  I almost always get it from Amazon to take advantage of the free shipping unless I can't get it from them.  I think the Allis book I bought on Amazon came directly from a museum in Milwaukee.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:09pm
Not that it matters much but at Auto-Zone they do not get to crazy about the stuff they warranty.
When you buy a stater or something you give them your phone number.
When you bring it back just give them your phone number and they can bring up the purchase info.
If you sell the car with warranty stuff on it from Auto-Zone just give the buyer your phone number.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:27pm
I have bought my batteries for years from Fleet Farm as their policy on return is great. Batteries they sell, if you get one that goes bad just bring it back, they scribe the date in them for sales date, and warranty is from that date.
  No reciept, no questions, just fill out the sheet and get new battery.
Had a name brand battery I bought from one large automotive battery supply house. Good price on it , took it back for a dead cell about 2 years later , their warranty was based on full retail price, so they said i bought it on sale, used that price against retail price , my cost on new battery would be with warranty $5 more than I paid for the battery in the first place .. So like I paid $60 and with warranty cost would be $65 to get new one. OUT THE DOOR and never come back was my answer. Bought a new one at F F for $48.
Fear was pounding at the Door
Faith Opened the Door Wide
ONLY TO FIND NOTHING THERE
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 12:47pm
Our battery went dead in our 2 year old Ford Edge on a holiday weekend. I bought a replacement from Fleet Farm to have a usable vehicle. When I went to Ford, they couldn't reimburse me for the Fleet battery, but said it was definitely under warranty and offered me a new battery to use as I saw fit. I was good with that, and now have a new Ford battery in my Toyota pick up.
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:35am
Originally posted by Jeff  Z.  NY Jeff Z. NY wrote:

Not that it matters much but at Auto-Zone they do not get to crazy about the stuff they warranty.
When you buy a stater or something you give them your phone number.
When you bring it back just give them your phone number and they can bring up the purchase info.
If you sell the car with warranty stuff on it from Auto-Zone just give the buyer your phone number.

I had the wife pick up a battery for me at Autozone. I took it back the next day cause it wasn't the CCA's I asked for. The guy started digging at the plastic cap on the positive post trying to show me it had been taken off. It hadn't. Then he called up the most senior guy there and he did the same thing. They finally managed to tear the cap half way off and proceeded to tell me they couldn't take it back or exchange it because the Manager has to do that. I was working at the time and it seemed the Manager was never on duty when I was off work. I told em I would let everybody I knew, know about their return policy and I would never shop there again. They just shrug their shoulders and walk off to the next customer.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 6:59am
Returning and warranties are too different things.
I would be cautious on taking back a battery also.
i would have talked to the manager.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:23am
I made a call because it's 90 minutes away.  I spoke to one person and couldn't believe the response so I talked to their manager at Costco also and they said they wouldn't take it.  I wasn't trying to return it I just wanted 50% off my new battery like I believe the warranty stated.  I did some research on Costco and I've heard lots of good things but man there's lots of bad on them on the internet.  They apparently treat there employees better than Wal-Mart so I was hoping to support them but not now.

You can take something back and Menards and they have a setup there where you can search for your receipt and print it out.  If it's been more than like 18 months or you can't find the receipt they'll give you money back for it at their sale price which is how I usually buy stuff anyway.  Menards has it's quirks but their return system and freebies are nice.  I found an old 4" PVC elbow I had in the garage that I had for probably 3-4 years.  I thought I'd take it back and it never went on sale and I got my money back, maybe even more than I paid for it who knows.  That's my extreme case.

Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 7:37am
I went to a battery store one time and asked what the difference was between their 60 month and their 72 month battery?  He said $10.  I said give me the 60 month one.  LOL
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 8:53am
Probably a longer warranty.
That sales person doesn't sound to bright on the products he's selling.
Rich(CentWI) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich(CentWI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 11:56am
I had 2 old battery's laying around for years. They were quite large. I took them to the junk yard and got $50.00 for them as junk. That sure surprised me.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:24pm
Tractor Supply Co doesn't stand behind their batteries either! had one go bad after 2 weeks, it was their top cost battery!
GlenninPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlenninPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 2:10pm
I don't know. I just buy Interstate. Had a battery go bad in my car a bit ago. Left with a new battery and no charge for it. (BTW Jeff the battery itself was charged...)
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment.
From listening comes wisdom and from speaking comes repentance.
Wise men learn more from fools than fools from the wise.
RMD View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 9:34am
Advance Auto honors their warranties.  I had one of their "gold" (3 year full replacement warranty) go bad after 2.5 years and took it back to Advance Auto.  They gave me a new battery, no problems.
Gordy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 11:42am
Have bought battery's at local NAPA store past 20 years never a problem with warranty take old one back get a new one. Big price increase on new battery's past couple years had to buy a new one for our 07 Impala other day $94.00    
DaveCinIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveCinIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2012 at 11:17pm
AutoZone will honor anything they sell, even if you got it some where else. I had a starter that went bad. I thought I bought it at Autozone. Took it in they scanned the barcode on it and said it is one they sell. They looked on the computer and I had never purchased one there. They replaced it anyway.
TomSEOH View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomSEOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2012 at 7:05am
Autozone has never asked too much , they just replace it and go on ....
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 1:07am
o'reillys auto stores have the best warranties on batteries i've found!
hamman01 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamman01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2012 at 7:16am
You might make a call or email to Johnson Controls who actually manufacture the battery for Cosco. Johnson Controls usually doesn't like negative comments and try to make right any problems. JM2CW.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic