This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers problems ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers problems ?
    Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 2:00pm
   I have been reading a post on another color forum and they are tearing into the jumping out of gear of various models, the rearends in the 190/ 190xt, 7000 series short engine life and hard to get out of park, problems with throwing rods, and L2 engine problems. Are these problems as prevelant as they make them seem ?

And to be fair they did discuss the problems with there favorite color here: http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=67627
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
Sponsored Links

DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 2:20pm
Everyone brand has had thier own problems over the years , ta's, powershifts, cab doors on backward, shifter on the left, engine or rearend problem in a certain model. Just one color picking on another.
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 2:48pm
In all honesty, the 7000 series had a terrible reputation where I was.  I think the 8000s could have fixed that but they weren't around long enough.
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2011 at 7:46pm
   most problems are operator error in my bookwe have 2 d-14 w/loader have loaed many loads since1960 with no tranny problemsstill  usinf ir for a loader to help lift
   d-17d  new march1961   i bougkt it new   sold at auction in1967 bought it from estate that bought it 2nd owner  still working fine  hope to be going to some plow days with the the 4-16 plow we used in 61 like the good old days  when we go plwing the grrenn goes to another fieldas they are always in the road  my 2 cents
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 9:26am
This is mostly rumour control stories, there mothers hairdressers best friends husbands brothers great uncle had a problem. AC was as tough a built tractor as there ever was, and the proof is look around the roughest farms in the country had them and they are still there being abused, The JD and IH guys had a different mentality than the guy that bought an Allis. WHen is the last time you seen a AC original sitting in the shed all waxed up and clean, but you dont have to drive far to find a JD all pretty. The biggest flaw in an Allis Chalmers was the guys they took them to have them repaired, they didnt know what they were doing, and much of these so called problems can be traced back to that. There use to be a rash of 7020 engine failures in this area years ago, but than you find out the 7020s were making 158hp, the engine was not made to run 158hp day in and day out, if the guy wanted that kind of power buy a 7045 or 7060. I had AC for years made the mistake of swithing almost everyting to JD when AC closed, we had more cost associated with the JD & Case tractors, and JD combines than we ever had with AC, so when I finally woke up we went back to AC.
Smokey Joe View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 10:35am
I can relate to this also,I worked for John Deere for 5 years The John deere's quad range is very friendly easy shifting transmission but when you weight one down or have a loader on them there top shaft in the transmission is very weak and EXPENSIVE. By working there you saw that most green people were about image and looking good in the field they want there tires to match there interior perfect and all there emblems perfect. I know for a fact they are a different breed with different mentality "If its not green it won't pull with mine"" attitude.
I have a 1976 7040 AC that i pulled on the dyno supposed to be 135-140HP when i worked at deere it drew some attention from the green people watching it on the dyno it pulled 182HP with the tamper proof wire still on pump I was very impressed, but then i got the response dyno probaly needs calibrating but earlier that day a 4440 pulled 175HP and nothing was wrong with the dyno then have had good and bad experiences with other brand folks.
210,220,7010 AC,7020 AC,7040 AC,7045 Pedal Tractor, 8050& 8070 and Parts and Pieces of Many More!!!
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 10:50am
That quad range tranny was user friendly, till it was broke, again, and again, and again, been there done that. Have friends that had JD tranny problems constantly but there was never a complaint, this same guy could have an Allis Chalmers get a flat tire and the whole world knew what a huge POS that tractor was. Allis Chalmers biggest flaw was educating there customer, and marketing there product. John Deere builds a mediocre equipment at best, but because of there marketing ,people percieve them as being much better. In reality, and I am 100% serious here a JD is like the chevy/ford of the tractor world and Allis Chalmers was more like the Mercedes Benz/BMW of the world.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 11:51am
People can laugh, talk, and stare at me and my family on the farm and at tractor pulls only supporting orange but at the end of the day our old orange wore out junk is paid for and does not cost much for upkeep, you don't need special tools to work on them they were not over engineered I like them the best and I just wonder where they would have been today had they hung in there.

Long Live the Orange Families.
210,220,7010 AC,7020 AC,7040 AC,7045 Pedal Tractor, 8050& 8070 and Parts and Pieces of Many More!!!
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 12:19pm
So you think having a paid for AC is better than making huge payments to impress yor neighbors????How unAmerican farmer of you. LOL
You must be like me the elevator never asked the age or brand of tractor before they wrote out my check!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokey Joe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 12:30pm
Yeah I've never heard the cows complain- Though we do have 90% John Deere hay equipment have no quarells with their hay equip.
Orange Blood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orange Blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 1:06pm
Pretty much looks like only one @#$@## over there, saying he worked for an AC shop, sounds like he makes up half of his "FACTS" probably because he doesn't like to be put down.  Did you notice almost all of his facts were EVERY 7000, All of the 190, Every L2, had the same exact problem.

Yes AC had some of these issues, but the tranny issue is absolutely a user error issue, if you don't grind it, it don't break, how many broken gear stories have you heard, nearly none, all of the pop out of gear from worn teeth.  I have never heard of all of the 301s throwing their rods, what's up with that.  And all the L2s with broken main caps, I highly dought it.

Sounds like a small man that doesen't have anything good to say about his own brand.

Edited by Orange Blood - 16 Oct 2011 at 1:07pm
Still in use:
HD7 WC C CA WD 2-WD45 WD45LP WD45D D14 3-D17 D17LP 2-D19D D19LP 190XTD 190XTLP 720 D21 220 7020 7030 7040 7045 3-7060
Projects: 3-U UC 2-G 2-B 2-C CA 7-WC RC WDLP WF D14 D21 210 7045 N7
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:51am
Orange? You have not noticed everyone with a computer and internet access is now an expert ?
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:25am
EXPERT
Definition: 1. Ex is a has been  xpert is a drip under pressure.
               2.  Someone who is more than 20 miles from home who thinks they know what  they are doing.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:41am
Its all very clear now
mdtractormechanic View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdtractormechanic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 9:59am
Here's a little something that will help attest to the quality of at least one AC tractor.

I bought my first AC model C a few months ago to restore. Originally purchased back in 1950 new, it was used on a working farm up to 5 years ago by the owner. This tractor is totally original, except for tires. I was told it had never been in the shop and only routine maintenance was preformed. Given the overall condition of the tractor, (which looks to have been worked pretty hard) I was surprised by how well it ran. It still has a lot of life left in it.
Joe's 1939 Model WC, 1940 Model RC, 1944 & 1950 Model C's, B-125 PU
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 11:04am
A friend of mine had a 4w220 that he phoned me about, saying it was a pile of junk. I drove out to see what the problem was. Sure enough, rod through the block...so we look at what he is pulling. a 35 foot chisel plow air seeder in heavy clay! He says he is going to get a 4386. I sais good luck. He was pulling about 6 foot too much. i said to him you need 250 pto horse maybe a 4w305, an 8650, a versatile 895, something like that. i sais to him, dude the fact that the thing pulled it over 2000acres a year for 6 years shows you the quality...He ended up with a 305 and loves it. He got a engine out of an n6 and put it in the 220, uses it for pulling a heavy harrow, grain cart etc. So much for the "Allis is a pile of junk" business, Trev.
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 11:55am
Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

EXPERT
               2.  Someone who is more than 20 miles from home who thinks they know what  they are doing.

3. Someoe who has a briefcase.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 12:32pm
I have reading  topics   .I used a d/14 21/2 hrs  this morning , 54 yrs old . Seems  that a/c would get a good engine  and it proofed they would start pushing it . Like the 125 in a B at 1100 rpm  ended up in CA  at 1650.   block  in D/14 same  i think  as D/10,D12 ,D/14 ,D/15  had a 138,149,158 cu in  15 run 2000 rpm .You don,t have to be to  smart to know which engine would last longer,plus operators want to pep up and add weights and so on  !
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Rogers Rogers wrote:

Originally posted by Clay Clay wrote:

EXPERT

3. Someone who has a briefcase.

...and what is the difference between someone that wears barn boots and someone that wears wingtips?

With the barn boots the bull is on the outside.

Edited by GBACBFan - 18 Oct 2011 at 4:41pm
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
TREVMAN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TREVMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:33pm
International was famous for running their engines super fast, rated 2500. I wouldnt have one, but seemed to last. Trev.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic