This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis C Steering Loose as a Goose

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milldog 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis C Steering Loose as a Goose
    Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 12:22am
I am an 20's and 30's old car guy and do not know a thing about tractors.  I can answer most anything you need to know about Willys Overland, Willys Knight or Whippet cars, but all of a sudden I have a model C Allis (narrow wheel front end) that has REALLY loose steering.

Both the steering sector under the gas tank and also the gear set up in the front, are involved.

This tractor belong to my church and I volunteered to work on it to take care of the problem.  The tractor is functional in all respects............just loose.

Can anyone direct me to affordable parts.  I understand from a couple locals, that these parts are really spendy.

Any help is appreciated.

Milldog 50
Sponsored Links

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 8:22am
You can look for tighter parts or you can tear it apart and try adjusting them. Either way you will have to remove the gas tank , tool box, steering sector, hood grill and radiator. If you pick up a good repair manual for a C it will tell you how to adjust both ends. You may find out they are too far gone to adjust up also.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:13am
I wouldn't say the parts are expensive at. Heck the whole tractor isn't worth all that much. Plus used parts are pretty easy to find.
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 11:40am
  youneed t o check the pin inside  is replaceable  1-800-254-3116  you will never get all the play out can  help
Milldog 50 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milldog 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 2:21pm
Thanks all.  I am a millwright by trade.  Due to lack of work I have had the whole summer off and got caught up on the honey do list.  I'm starting back 9/19/11 and will be working 12's and 7 days per week for 6 to 8 weeks straight.  Won't be any time for anything until this power plant maintenance job is finished.  I will be getting back to my '28  Willys Knight restoration and also this Allis steering when this power plant turbine is finished being rebuilt.

I am looking forward to the '28 WK.............not so much the Allis C.  Gotta be done tho.  Thanks again

Milldog 50
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 6:06pm
Below is a link to Gemmer repair for a C.

You can find some Ross repair pictures at this link below.

Might or not help.
Milldog 50 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milldog 50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:47pm
Thanks Dick for the links to the photos.  It appears, I believe, that this box is a Gemmer.  Looks pretty straight forward.  Again, I appreciate this info.  Gives me something to think about until I actually get to fixing the steering.

Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:23pm
Don't overlook the condition of the long link arm from the rear box to the front box... I think it's sometimes called a drag-link.  The ball and socket joints on mine were so worn that it allowed a huge amount of play in each direction when turning the wheel.  I replaced it, including both ends, with the one off my parts tractor.  It made a huge difference, and I never once touched either steering box. 
'41 C w/Woods L503 mower, #3 mower, 2-way plows for C
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 10:58pm
MY DAD BOUGHT A 1929 WHIPPET BRAND NEW & TALKED ABOUT UNTIL HE DIED AT 95. HE WAS AN ALLIS MAN ALSO. HE BOUGHT A 36 WC BRAND NEW & TALKED ABOUT IT CONSTANTLY ALSO.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic