This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Penetrating oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Penetrating oil
    Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:57pm
womens finger nail polish remover is basically acetone.... in small plastic bottles.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 7:25am
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:59pm
I had to go to 'metal can' with my acetone and auto tranny fluid.  wouldn't even last a year!   best thing i found for stuck pistons in hydrogen peroxide!  cheap, readily available and it's worked better then anything for me!
AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
CaseyCreek View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaseyCreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Gatz in NE Gatz in NE wrote:

I've used the 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF for quite a while with good results.
If you keep it in a plastic dispenser bottle with a thin spout, the acetone doesn't evaporate out.

Another option is to get an all-metal squirt can with a flexible metal tip.  I have been using them around the farm for years without a problem.  One of them is for holding my 50/50 acetone/ATF mix.

I bought the cans I use at Tractor Supply, but they are probably available at lots of other places.
D17 Series III,D17 Series IV, 185
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 7:17am
Originally posted by WF owner WF owner wrote:

If you put acetone in a plastic bottle, it won't evaporate; it will eat right through the plastic bottle.

Definitely NOT true. We've had a squeeze bottle of pure Acetone in the lab for 10 years now. SOME plastics, probably, Styrofoam DEFINITELY (in seconds), but it surely can be done.
dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:58pm
a few cans of coke' will eat that rust quick. worked when nothing else did.
1947WC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1947WC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:18pm
I will stick with JB 80.
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:14pm
Curt,
the mix has been in a plastic bottle for over 2 years; no problems
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:46pm
If you put acetone in a plastic bottle, it won't evaporate; it will eat right through the plastic bottle.

Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 5:33pm
this came up when doing a search for NUT AND BOLT LOOSENER;
(might be the same product as PRESTO; it may have been bought by TERAND)
I think the price of $130 is for a case of 12 which doesn't sound too bad, but if you order it, make darn sure.

I've used the 50/50 mix of Acetone and ATF for quite a while with good results.
If you keep it in a plastic dispenser bottle with a thin spout, the acetone doesn't evaporate out.

sample;

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Unique-Bargains-Lab-Right-Angle-Tip-Plastic-Liquid-Storage-Squeeze-Bottle-Dispenser-250mL-3-Pcs/881892438

Edited by Gatz in NE - 22 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 12:59pm
We had WD-40 , Yield , Kroil , etc at work . Maint guys all seemed to prefer Kroil . Hard to find around here but I recently did . Think it was about $12 for a 10 oz spray can . Thanks !!
HoughMade View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HoughMade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:47am
For breaking loose an engine stuck because of rust on the cylinder walls and likely the rings, I did something crazy.  I used a substance that removes rust.  Evapo-Rust.

2 months of everyone's grand pappy's home brew for a week or more at a time did nothing.

With the head off and the drain plug pulled, I filled up the 2 rusty cylinders with Evapo-Rust.   The rust was gone and the engine was free 2 days later.
1951 B
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 10:36am
If I remember correctly from the original post on the 50/50 mixture, it would not work with synthetic ATF. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:30am
I got two B engines unstuck with Kroil. And the one engine was stuck pretty tight! Had the heads off of both engines and sprayed a heavy dose in each cylinder around each piston and let it go for a week on the one engine and two weeks for the other engine. Used it through my whole WF about week prior to disassembly. No broken bolts! Couldn't believe it!  Just kept spraying all the bolts when I was by it during the week prior to taking it apart. Kroil seems to work great for me...
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2020 at 7:02am
Personally, I think Kroil is the best, but it is expensive.

Acetone/ATF works ok, but there are two disadvantages. It separates (Acetone settles to the bottom) and the acetone evaporates quite quickly if it is left out in the open. Evaporation isn't a problem inside a cylinder when you use a spark plug or an air fitting.

I use PB Blaster for most stuff, unless it's something that I think is going to be really tough, then I use Kroil. I just bought a case of Kroil (12 cans). It should last me the rest of my life.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 11:27pm
Seems we discussed the best penetrant oil issue before but I don't find it in search. And here is my dilemma, I bought a box of stuff at an auction a few years back and there was an old can of PRESTO - NUT AND BOLT LOOSENER in the mess..,. I have used it  lot and seemed almost like magic to get things loose tho there were some things that ended up getting twisted off but most of the time it was fantastic stuff.  I can not find it in google search or amazon or ebay... did find a one google search from germany but sure did not look like my old can... 19 OZ of the stuff. Here is a pic of my can, does anyone remember this stuff? label is pretty faded and frayed.
back side says something like something... Chemical Company,    ???YWOOD ??  ?1605

Did some search on best penetrant oil and got this...
   At $25.82 for 16.5 OZ. OUCH!
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 8:17pm
I'm sold on the 50/50 Acetone/ATF. Put stuck parts in pan last night, early AM they were free like new. I will try the other formula for testing. 
dave63 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:54pm
Does anybody use Yield? It is very expensive but I have seen it do amazing things.
The universal answer to all questions is yes, how much do you want to spend?
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:45pm
For freeing stuck engines, I mix a 3-way of acetone, diesel/kero, and hydraulic fluid... my ace-in-hole, is a quartet of sparkplugs that the cores have been busted out, and some 1/4" pipe nipples welded to 'em... with quick-disconnects to a 4-way manifold and a pressure regulator... I put anywhere from 4-15psi on all four cylinders, but first I pop the head off, vacuum out any crud, usually take an abrasive-impregnated nylon bristle brush on cordless drill to the cylinders to break any crud free, vacuum it again, clean and lap all the valves, grease the head gasket and put it all back together with the rockers loose (valves all closed)... then I let air pressure 'help' the oil get down through the rings.  It's the best tactic I've found for most 'stuck-from-sitting' situations, especially on sleeveless engines and stuff that's just plain old unobtanium.  When you pull the dipstick and smell acetone, you know it's workin' it's way through.
Leonard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 2:24pm
For breaking loose bolts and the like I use a product by Dodge.  It's the best thing I have found.  i haven't tried it on a stuck engine yet.  But for getting bolts and the like loose this is the product to use.  It is kind of expensive at around 7-8 bucks per can.

Leonard
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:59am
I like Kroil but I also like PB Blaster, seem to be very similar.  As to stuck engines, in the seventies we used Rislone, poured it directly in cylinders and let it set, took a few days but a little patience and the engines would just come loose, it breaks rust and carbon deposit bonds to the piston and cylinder walls.  Have not had the need to use it for some time.

Edited by DMiller - 16 Sep 2011 at 12:00pm
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:54am

I wonder where BG's In Force would fit on that list. I don't like PB or WD40 because they evaporate and leave things a little sticky. BG doesn't do that.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:50am
This was from an OLD post on this site

Oil test posted on another site.

Penetrating Oils Compared

Machinist's Workshop magazine actually tested penetrants for break out torque on rusted nuts. Significant results!

*They arranged a subjective test of all the popular penetrants with the control being the torque required to remove the nut from a "scientifically rusted" environment.*

*Penetrating oil ..... Average load*

None ..................... 516 pounds
WD-40 ............. 238 pounds
PB Blaster ............. 214 pounds
Liquid Wrench .. 127 pounds
Kano Kroil ............ 106 pounds
ATF-Acetone mix....53 pounds

*The ATF-Acetone mix was a "home brew" mix of 50 - 50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone*
*Note the "home brew" was better than any commercial product in this one particular test. A local machinist group mixed up a batch and all now use it with equally good results. Note also that "Liquid Wrench" is about as good as "Kroil" for about 20% of the price.*

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 11:30am
Kroil often beats PB Blaster. And the ATF/acetone mix often beats both, but it also eats spray bottles. The original article on the mix didn't specify which ATF and the picture shows another oil container.

Gerald J.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 10:14am
Or just get a few cans of PB Blaster.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
sparky View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 8:06am
A chemist friend of mine on the American Longrifle forum gave me this recipe that works REALLY well......Equal parts acetone,kerosene,ATF,and turpentine. Good Luck!!
It's the color tractor my grandpa had!
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:52am
50/50acetone ATF. HTH God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
studetom View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studetom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:45am
International lubricants makes a product called Fre-eze.  Really works well.

WC Fields(N_ILL) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WC Fields(N_ILL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:19am
A friend has a stuck engine and I've seen on the forum a recipe for home made penetrating oil. I believe it was made with transmission fluid and acetone, correct me if I'm wrong. Does anybody know the ratio of the two or the recipe so to speak? Thanks!
37 WC   49 WF   53 WD   67 D15
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic