This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

8070 with 426 Engine problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmpool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8070 with 426 Engine problems
    Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:18am
This is my first time using this site, but I have enjoyed all of the info being shared.   I recently purchased an 8070 FWA, and now it appears the head is cracked as there is coolant coming out around the #3 injector.  Any insight on the diagnosis, or possible cause? THe engine was supposed to have been completely gone through last fall.  Thanks!!
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:47am
Bad or weak casting......things like that happen sometimes...life goes on anyway.
Eric[IL] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric[IL] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:08pm
My 7060's 426 has a 5" weld near the top of the block, just under the head gasket area on the right side near the back of the engine.  Who ever welded it did a good job cause its been that way for years and never leaks.  Gibson City, IL AGCO dealer has (or had) a reconditioned 8070 fwa with a cummins 8.3 swapped in place of the 426.  I viewed it about 3 weeks ago.  The fit was excellent.  Perhaps that could be a solution if you can't get your 426s head replaced or fixed.  
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 12:19pm
There isn't a sleeve or cup around the injector with coolant around it on that engine? I thought I read where someone else had coolant leaks around the injector and it was a sleeve leaking.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
ac45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 1:31pm
Head swap is not a real big deal.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:01pm
There are copper sleeves under the injectors on the 301 but I can't say on the 426.If the injectors are tight you should have the head checked. Scott
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 3:05pm
Welcome to the site.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Hurst View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 4:17pm

99% sure the 426 has just copper washers, not sleeves.  I had a 301 that began acting like a blown head gasket and it turned out to be a bad injector sleeve letting in coolant.  I remember someone saying that the 301 and 200 were the only ag engines allis used the sleeves on.

Hurst

1979 Allis Chalmers 7000
5800 Hours
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 8:05pm
correct. no copper sleeves for injectors on any 426. 2900 mark II engines got the new design cylinder head for improved coolant circulation, which included the injector tubes as well. A good 426 head should not be too hard to find. Heck, there's probably three laying around here. Too far away to do you any good! Ed.
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic