This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

917 hydro garden tractor

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 917 hydro garden tractor
    Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 11:33am
seen a 917 hydro I could trade for but have never been around a allis hydro. are they decent and dependable machines hydro wise? Used to had a 912 S which I kick myself for selling now. Any comments appreciated.
Sponsored Links

realolman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote realolman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 11:47am
I don't know about a 917, but I have a 716 that is almost 40 years old.  I am a bit superstitious,  so I hesitate to say this, but after all that time, I would call the hydro system in my tractor  B U L L E T P R O O F.

So now having said that ...the next time I try to mow, it'll be broke
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:05pm
I'd be more worried about the 2cyl. Kohler than the hydro. The later ones had oil filters wich is better but my Dad has had couple problems with motor like some seal that when it goes bad blows oil out everywhere,carb issues and you need a shutoff valve on gas line so it don't fill the crankcase with gas while it's parked. Myself being used to a sinlge cyl. sure was impressed with smoothness of two cyl. when opened up mowing.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:24pm
Ditto what Kgood said. The Kohler is the same on the 917 that I cut a neighbor lady's grass with. Had to put a gasline shutoff on it, oil leaks out of the shaft seal, etc. Other then that, the tractor is great.
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 1:45pm
He said it had been re-powered with a 18 kohler but didn't know much about the deck for he never used it. Any one have a value figure for a re-builder? PS i owned a 712S not a 912S
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 2:13pm
Hydos are pretty good, I've never had any problem with them, just some engine problems. My 917 is a cutting machine, but as its been said earlier might have a problem with blowing oil everywhere.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 3:39pm
If the 917H has the same hydro in it as my 716H, then I would go for it! My 716H is setup for pushin' snow, and man, does that thing push snow! The Hydro in that application works super. As I get into the heavier snow, I push the Hydro lever forward a little more and it moves that deep snow right outta' the way! Needless to say, I'm a happy camper with my 716H.......
skip(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:24pm
if it's been repowered w/ the 18hp kohler command, i'd say you're set. probably has a 48" deck, if it's in useable condition and everything works on the mower, then you can quit thinking about it and just get it. just remember to show us some pics.
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:29pm
Like others have said, they are bullet proof.  We have a 712, 716, and a green branded 917.  All are hydros and have no problems.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:38pm
I bought a 917 a couple of years ago for $900. It has been good to me and have not had any problems with the hydro or engine.

HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:49am
I should say that with proper maintenence, the Kohler motor should not have problems. I think on the one I use that belongs to the neighbor, the crankcase breather was never changed, so that's the reason for the oil blowouts. Even with a motor that leaks a bit of oil, if the rest of the 917 was good I'd grab it.
skipwelte View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skipwelte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 9:53am
the early 17 Kohlers suffered from a drip oiling to the rods, on a slope the rods didnt get oiled enough.  On the level they were OK.   The later ones with an eng oil filter had the full pressure lube and were excellant.   Ive got a couple of the KT17s with the full pressure system, they dont hold much oil, so change it offten.    What was said about leaking oil and gas it true. 
junkman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 10:59am
I have a red Cub that has the older 17hp kohler on it and it runs great without any oil loss, but this is what I thought about trading for the Allis. But it is quite a drive to look at it. More into allis than cub.
JohnCinMd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCinMd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 11:09am
If you get it, post some pics. I've got the neighbor's 917 in my driveway, the governor is acting up.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 11:38am
I have a 917H.  Not sure what year it is, about 1985, I bought it when it was a year old.
The reason the crank seal blows is because it has a negative pressure crank case and there is a poppet valve under the air cleaner that breaks and allows the crank case to become pressurized. Not very hard to fix.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 2:30pm
A 917 in good condition is about the best garden tractor there is.  Mine is 25 years old and was used by my sons in their commercial lawn mowing business.  It's on it's 2nd engine (breather hose got loose and dusted the original engine), but the hydro is still running fine.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
BOB A LU View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BOB A LU Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 12:54pm
HI
I AM LOOKING FOR A MOWING DECK FOR AN A/C 917H
THANKS BOB
240 372 6799
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 8:26pm
Bob I have a 3514, or is that 3415, Simplicity, it has a shuttle transmission in it. the 1 cylinder Briggs engine runs well. And good tires, it has a mower deck much like my 917h. I've been trying to sell it but no wants to give much, and it's tires will fit my 917, so why should sell for less than the tires are worth.  So I will part it out, mower deck and engine, plus anything else but the tires.
Just make an offer that I can not refuse.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Dean/MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dean/MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 8:55pm
Posting this for mwzakens

HD16,917H,185,7050,8030FWA,8050FWA
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2013 at 11:14pm
Thanks dean. That's my 912 hydro it's all original. My gramp had sold it new to a guy up the st and maybe 8 years ago I bought it back. So I think your good to buy it if its in good condition.
jones281olivia View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jones281olivia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 11:53am
I have a 917, 48" mower deck, in good running shape. I am in the process of rebuilding the mower deck. Engine has bin rebuilt and has new back tires.
I would consider selling.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic