This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BIG AL TRUCK ENGINE

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BIG AL TRUCK ENGINE
    Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 11:37pm

BIG AL truck engine video from the aths show in south bend at the end of may.this is the motor i was restoring earlier this year.the video was filmed for "American trucker"series on speed channel.you will have go to American trucker-speed web site and click on "watch video".it should be the one that pops up,titled "Rob goes vintage" 3:31 minutes long.i am sorry that i dont have a direct link.

Sponsored Links

KD in SE Ks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KD in SE Ks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:48am
Nice work big al. I didn't know Allis put engines in big trucks too. Great history.
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 4:54pm

you could order a 301,426,516 engines for truck app.they were also painted purple.

jhid View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 6:27pm
its at the 2 minute mark
red and green are nice for christmas, but orange is all year round
http://www.canadianantiquetractor.com/tractorforum/
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 7:06pm
Get you closer.  http://www.speedtv.com/programs/american-trucker/watch-video/

Neat Vid.  Thanks for sharing!
DarrylinWA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarrylinWA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:33pm
I have the same motor for sale that has 1074 hrs. on it that was in a big generator. PM me if you like. Located in west central Iowa. Thanks Darryl
B 10 Custom. Serial # 1001 D21, First D21 built 69 #4498 and Last D 21 Built #4609. 1946 MM UTU. And 2000, 2005 Pete's. AC custom Hauling.
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:55pm
the base motors are basically the same as the truck engine(21000-25000,6138)but,you need a sae#1 bell housing,truck type flywhl,front or rear sump oil pan,low mount exhaust manifold,air comp.mount,fuel pump calibration-gov.some industrial engines have the same parts as the truck app.the hardest part to come up with would be the truck fylwheel to accept the 15 1/2" clutch. also the oil coolers are diff. on the ones equiped with a torq converter.
John (C-IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John (C-IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 3:50pm
I drove a W900 KW back in 1979 that had that engine in it. The thing would flat haul, it didn't go very fast, but it would pull any load anywhere.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:15am

Heya AC truck engine owners, can the 25000 engine be aftercooled? Also what horsepower ratings with truck injection pump and govenor?

B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 7:12am
Nice article in the latest OAN was very interesting, at the time this engine came out I was working for a construction outfit that had a KW with a 335 cummins they thot was really hot-- wouldn't let me drive it cuz I was jus a kid.When they needed an exta lowboy driver I drove a IH with a 549 gas, It got 2-3 MPG.  
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 5:04pm
hey mactractor the bigal truck engine was intercooled(water to air). in about 86 cat started using air to air on theyre 425hp engine that had a cooler mounted in front of the radiator.this later design improved air density by lowering the boost temp.the top rating for the 25000 was 450hp.i talked to a gentalman,his friend had a big al he ran for experimental,he would bring the truck to the harvy engine plant every time it needed serviced.they would turn the pump up each time to see how the engine performed,they eventally turned it to 750hp.at the next service they put it back to 450hp,and told him he was on his own.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 2:56am
Thanks Big Al. I`m guessing they would haul every bit as good as thirty four aught six yellow engines and then some. As well as all the parts you mentioned to convert to truck spec, I would also need aftercooler or intercooler, and turbocharger for truck spec would be different from any tractor, scraper, or industrial spec, would it?
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 12:02am
hey mac,the turbos are not really a big issue.ideally,the newer ones such as a borg-warner s400 (detroit diesel series 60/500hp)would perform alot better than those old air research turbos.also,cats 3406s did not appear until around 76?,and those were pc engines.the cats that the big als competed with were the 1693ta's,and those were pre-combustion engines also.cat did not start to going to direct injection til about 83.when i took the big al to the truck show a guy approached me and told me he used to run back n forth to the west coast. he had a 1693ta(425hp) cat .he said '"i would not even try to run with the big al's,they would walk away from me in the mountains"he was just tickled to see one in person.
Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 12:48am
   Your engine was the one on the trailer ? Is the White Freightliner yours too ?
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2011 at 3:57pm

Rfdeere-mine is on the trailer,the one in the truck is owned by Ron knarr,he is a ac collector in ohio.

Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:07pm
Big Al, I too have been asking around different yards if they have ever seen any trucks with the AC engine. All have said no. I have to ask if there is anything in a VIN # that would tell if the truck came with an AC engine? Also how is the compresser powered? I am not sure just what I am looking at, but isn't that the compressor over top of the starter? I can't tell in the American Trucker clip just how it was driven.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:06am
gidday all.
Way backin the mid 70s cats 1693TA was a fairly formidible hunk of iron.
At 893 cubes it had 425hp and 1275lb of torque, and had very few peers. If 'Big Al' could knock it back to 2nd place in a hill climb it must have had some serious puha under its rocker cover. I,d be interested to know what its rated output specs were ?
I never saw a TA model but alot of 380hp 1693T models were used to repower Cat DW20 motor scrapers here in NZ; and they could certainly go like a cut cat !
1693 was a good engine  but its twin overhead cams made for some serious expense in the case of a truck engine in a over rev situation going downhill !
Keep the thread going boys, this is some good reading.
Cheers Merv
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 10:49pm
THE  KENWORTHS & PETES HAVE BUILD SHEETS ON RECORD AT THE DEALER JUST GIVE THE VIN#.THE DODGE BIG HORN HAD A LETTER  CODE THAT WOULD DESIGNATE ENGINE MODEL.I DONT KNOW WHAT FRIEGHTLINER DOES.THE COMPRESSER MOUNTS ABOVE THE WATER PUMP,AND IS BELT DRIVEN.(HD6MERV) THE SPECS ARE SIMILAR TO THE 1693TA.I THINK THE DIFFERENCE IN THE POWER IS THAT ALLIS MANUFACTURED THER CAMS WITH VERY LITTLE VALVE OVERLAP,WHICH WOULD EQUATE TO ALOT MORE CYLINDER PRESSOR-ALOT MORE BANG!DURING THE ROAD TESTING THE ENGINEERS AT HARVEY TURNED THE MOTOR TO 550-650-750HP IN A OWNER OPERATORS TRUCK BETWEEN SERVICE INTERVALS.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2012 at 11:16am

Guys I work for KW so if you get me a KW vin I can see what I can do on a line sheet. I am interested in this as well

Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 4:32am
Big Al

Maybe some photos for those of us who get the "Can't be viewed in your location" flag?
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2012 at 8:37pm
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 5:03am
Redline,

They don't like our country!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2012 at 10:37pm
Big Al

Re photos - things happen.  Take your time.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic