[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roof Palomino Lawn Mower

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roof Palomino Lawn Mower
    Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 2:38pm
Anybody know much about these?  I bought one a few years ago and began searching the internet for info.  Unfortunately, not much seems to be known, and the accuracy of some info that's out there is suspect.  Roof made two versions of these - an early one and a later one with a hi/low hydrostat.  Mine is an early one (pics attached, serial number 224, along with its stablemate, WC SN#317), and I saw a late one yesterday at the Penfield show.  I noted the following differences with the late one:
  1. Rear wheel well skirts/fender extensions
  2. Louvered tin work over hydrostat (presumably for better cooling, mine has no louvers)
  3. Hi/Lo hydrostat lever next to main hydrostat lever
  4. Muffler mounted between frame and front bumper (mine has muffler behind rear axle and tailpipe out the back)
  5. Electric deck clutch (mine is manual)
  6. Serial number foil tag on dash (mine is on bottom right corner of hood)

I use mine to get around at auctions, and put the wider JD rims and tires on the back to help in the mud.

I'm toying with the idea of putting together a Roof Registry website for the Palominos, model 60's (same engine, hydrostat and mower deck as the Palomino's, but no Jeep sheet metal) and possibly other Roof equipment.  I got some original Roof literature from the former owner of my Palomino that might be helpful to others, including a factory list of what's different between the Palomino's and model 60's. But, I don't have enough info to justify all the work for a website. Hopefully somebody knows more than I do - if so, please contact me.

Roof Palomino (SN 224), Chetech Pug UTV, Three Green Tractors and one Red Tractor.
Sponsored Links

BennyLumpkin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BennyLumpkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:01pm
I dont remember the details but a guy I know has something very similiar in JD green called a Jeepster I believe it was.....
Central PA Allis Express
1939 B #16184
1945 WC #135755
1951 WD #68085
1953 WD45 #150217
1957 WD45D #230744D
1954 John Deere 40T
Gravely L8
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 3:16am
that thing is cool benny!! i use an ez-go workhorse at sales...sure saves alot of trips and walking/standing! plus i kin haul my cooler in back!! is yours a 4x4?
70Standard View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by BennyLumpkin BennyLumpkin wrote:

I dont remember the details but a guy I know has something very similiar in JD green called a Jeepster I believe it was.....

The Jeepster was one of several small rigs sold in the 60s and 70s.  I know even less about them than the Palominos...
Roof Palomino (SN 224), Chetech Pug UTV, Three Green Tractors and one Red Tractor.
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 7:50pm
  we sold them in the 70,s  all the ROOF UNITS was good  had to stay away from wifes rose bushes  would kick them out the side  with no problems  most had 1" shafts then
  not many that size today   was a good rental unit  no problems
TOM S.N/ILL View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TOM S.N/ILL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 8:34pm
A friend of mine has #206. His is painted like a military jeep,still has the mower deck and it mows great. He uses it to get around at military shows esp.a veterans show in Kokomo,In. where its always a favorite ride.
                        Tom

Edited by TOM S.N/ILL - 11 Jul 2011 at 8:43pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 10:39pm
OK, who's the proud owner of that 34 WC and what serial number is it?
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

OK, who's the proud owner of that 34 WC and what serial number is it?

That's my WC, serial number 317.  Dad found it in the mid-1990s in central Missouri near where he lived.  Dad and Grandpa had known the fellow for a long time.  He lived a pretty good ways off the paved road, where the fencerows and old barns still hold some treasures.  I'm not sure if Dad remembered seeing the tractor in his barn, or if it came up in conversation.  Regardless, we brought it home minus its carburetor basically as you see it.  Neither of us appreciated its early serial number at the time, or how it differed from the later WCs. 

A year ago I had it looked into to see if it had any major faults, and found that the front cylinder wrist pin had worn a deep groove in the sleeve.  Tony Carbaugh (sells parts on this website) came through with a NOS sleeve, and it's all back together and has a rebuilt Zenith 7078 carb waiting to be installed.  One of these days I'll get the nerve to install the carb and give her a pull and see what happens.  One front rim is beyond repair (rim is rusted, spokes are good), so that remains the big head scratcher left to deal with, assuming it will run.  I've spoken to a couple of places that re-rim the old wheels, and they wouldn't guarantee anything since it's a narrow 17" wheel.

Edited by 70Standard - 12 Jul 2011 at 6:36pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by 70Standard 70Standard wrote:

One of these days I'll get the nerve to install the carb and give her a pull and see what happens.  One front rim is beyond repair (rim is rusted, spokes are good), so that remains the big head scratcher left to deal with, assuming it will run.  I've spoken to a couple of places that re-rim the old wheels, and they wouldn't guarantee anything since it's a narrow 17" wheel.
My 35 had 16 inch rims welded on some time in the past. They were beyond repair so I re-rimmed it myself. I couldn't find a narrow enough rim so I set one up on the welding lathe at work and parted it off, then cut an inch out of the middle and welded it back together. It looks as good or better than it did 40 years ago when the first set of 16's were put on it.
 You might look real hard and find another 17 inch original, cross your fingers first though.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx,1938 B2xx, 1950 WD, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by CTuckerNWIL CTuckerNWIL wrote:

[QUOTE=70Standard]  
My 35 had 16 inch rims welded on some time in the past. They were beyond repair so I re-rimmed it myself. I couldn't find a narrow enough rim so I set one up on the welding lathe at work and parted it off, then cut an inch out of the middle and welded it back together. It looks as good or better than it did 40 years ago when the first set of 16's were put on it.
 You might look real hard and find another 17 inch original, cross your fingers first though.

I wish I had your skills and shop!  Unfortunately, I didn't inherit any of Dad's mechanical skills.  I was told that Coker Tire is the only place that sells 17" rims, but am not sure if they would work to re-rim a 17" spoke wheel.  Would have to have a fairly deep drop center.  One of the re-rimming outfits said that's where they would start.  So, at $70 for the rim plus $150 for the re-rimming, I'd be into things for quite a bit of money.  But, probably not as much as what a good original would cost.
EasyZ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
I have one Ser.num. 206  my email is m42duster@gmail.com
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2011 at 5:40pm
Nice!  What inspired the military paint job?  Looks good.
EasyZ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 8:24am
TY it is going up for sell. In the Miltary Mag.  Aug
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:33pm
dang! there's room fer a cooler in the back!! i want one!
Osage_Orange View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Osage_Orange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2011 at 10:45pm
One of those would be really cool to drive in parades. Display flags, throw candy to kids, etc.
Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but always time to go back and fix it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2011 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Osage_Orange Osage_Orange wrote:

One of those would be really cool to drive in parades. Display flags, throw candy to kids, etc.

My wife says the same thing.  With my luck, the old Palomino would get stagefright and leave me stranded in the middle of the parade route!
rs000079968 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rs000079968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 7:43pm

i bought a roof 60 about a month ago that i got running well but i am missing the clutch to engage the deck.  It has a dual pulley on the drive shaft so the deck is always on or always off.  What I am wondering is what do I need to Get it working properly.  If someone has pictures of the clutch assembly and how it works I would greatly appreciate it.  I believe it is a later year because it has a high/low transmission.  Thanks, R_J_Schumacher@yahoo.com

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:46pm

If the 60s are like the Palominos, the early ones had a manually engaged clutch (like mine in the photos posted above) and the later ones had an electric clutch.  Does yours have a rotating lever on the dash with a round black ball on the end, or an electric toggle switch on the dash?

There was a fellow on eBay a week or so ago that was selling parts from a model 60 - you might find one on there.
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:17pm
Being a JEEP freak, I like that and LOVE it!!!   Where can I get one??
'40 WC puller, '44 C, '53 WD 45, '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Rich-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 2:37pm
A mini 38...like the one assigned to me in the 50's with the green machine.
EasyZ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 6:51pm
This one is for Sell. 10,000.00  make  Make me offer
EasyZ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EasyZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 6:53pm
10,000.00 make me offer
rs000079968 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rs000079968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 9:43pm
Mine has a lever on the dash.  Someone replaced the clutch with a straight pulley. I'm in the process of finding Either a mechanical or electric clutch that will fit it. Thanks.
pullingih View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pullingih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 9:59pm
Just recently purchased a Roof......and something else was delivered.  Does anyone have any insight as to what this may be?
pullingih View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pullingih Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 10:01pm
Part 2:
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70Standard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 7:33am

What you've got there is the majority of a Roof model 60 mower.  It has the same engine and hydrostat as a similar vintage Palomino, but doesn't have the Jeep-inspired sheet metal.  Did you get a mower deck with it?  If you do a Google image search for "Roof 60" (include the quotes) you will see a few pictures.

ludwig View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2012 at 3:25pm
Do you still have the roof Palomino?  I also think we need a club and registry.  I am in OH and have two of them.  Also know of one in Norton OH. 
Thomanssmall View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomanssmall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:20am
I got a roof that is fixed up like a jeep in the tv show mash.  it has windshild, spare tire and fuel can  for sale. 
ludwig View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ludwig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 1:26pm
sure would like to see pics of the Palo.  What are you asking for  it and where are you located?  daltec@frontier.com
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:03pm
  we sold ROOF MOWERS IN THE LATE 60,S   sold all info to a fella in goshen ind.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic