This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Run @ 540 PTO RPM or faster when cutting?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Steve Bright View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Bright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Run @ 540 PTO RPM or faster when cutting?
    Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:58am
Don't know who is right or wrong but I never run anything on the PTO faster than the 540 or 1000 mark on the tach, But what do I know
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 11:35am
Apparently AuntWayne's Dad had removed the governor?
Well.....without a governor, he certainly wouldn't want to run with a wide open throttle!!
Every now and again this subject comes up and like the Capt., I have to laugh at some of the comments. It appears that many on here do not understand the operation of a tractor governor?
TexasAllis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:15am
I think the conclusion is run your equipment at the manufacturers suggested speeds and loads.  Companies pay engineers a lot of money and spend millions in R&D to get maximum performance out of equipment.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 5:55am
I had a great time reading all these posts. I will be smiling all day long! Loved it. Been there, done that. Super reading material!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 7:33am
This is Stan's original post:

Originally posted by Stan IL&TN Stan IL&TN wrote:

Just wondering if you run faster engine RPM than the indicated 540 PTO speed when bush hogging or do you run her faster?  I ask because I was told to run her wide open for the best looking cut and it's easier on the engine not to lug it.  Just wondering what others do?

All comments regarding combines, silage blowers, lawn mowers, recutters, bailers... they're all irrelevant to Stan's posting.  His was about a 540rpm PTO-driven rotary mower.  As was posted earlier, comparing engine speeds of for-purpose engine-driven machinery (combines, lawn-mowers, etc) is irrelevant to the 540rpm implement.  The answer to the question of WHY is found in history, and engineering design and economics.

References to 'wide open' are improper terminology.  Throttles and injection pumps have 'wide open' positions of 'full fueling'.  These are GOVERNED engines, which by nature, are intended not only to limit engine speed, but hold it constant at a given speed.  Governors modulate throttle position to maintain governed speed.  A goverened engine will run at the desired speed with practically no throttle, when there is no load.  As load is applied, engine speed will drop off slightly, and the governor will BEGIN to increase throttle opening (technically referred by governor and engine-management engineers as 'sag')... the engine will only see 'full throttle' from a governor when the load is substantial enough to require all that the engine is capable of providing.  Once full throttle is reached, any additional load applied will slow the motor down BELOW the goverened speed, which is usually referred to by engineers as 'overload fall-off'.

Running an engines of for-purpose machines is irrelevant, because the machine is designed only for that purpose, and the engine governance, and all driven loads, are appropriately ratioed to their optimal speeds by drive mechanisms therin.  Engineers determine proper speed of all those pieces, assemble the drivetrain ratios, and then calculate the proper final drive ratio by comparing the prime mover's fuel and power curves, calculate performance lifespan and durability, and then apply the appropriate drive ratio, and set (now program) the engine speed governor accordingly.

540rpm PTO output systems on tractors have been well-standardized since the late 1950's.  Prior to that time, manufacturers made implements intended to be driven by their OWN tractors.  They Generally worked within the realm of ASAE standards of the mid '30's, wherin the common 540RPM PTO shaft operated at 540rpm +/- 10rpm, in a clockwise direction (when viewed at the output of the driving machine).  Through the late '50's, the expiration of Harry Ferguson's 3-point patents (there were many) gave the ASAE the ability to publish a 'standard' of hitching geometry, and they 'categorized' hitching sizes to tractor size.  At the same time, they published the PTO standards.

Once that occured, agricultural manufacturers both on the tractor end, and in the implement business, went to manufacturing implements to allow compatibility with other manufacturers.

Prior to the 60's, belt-driven implements were very common.  Belt-driven implements fell in their own neighborhood based on belt speed (in feet-per-minute), and the operator had to calculate a reasonable speed based on knowledge of the prior drive machine (oftentimes a steamer).  It isn't unusual, particularly after the late '30's for full-goverened speed to be bumped up... manufacturers did this as part of the 'horsepower wars' to improve package performance.  When doing so, the 540rpm PTO's final gearing either had to be altered (to accomodate the resulting higher speed), or the engine had to be slowed-down, and the PTO output tested (think Nebraska Tests) at less than full-goverened speed.  Manufacturers knew this would be a loss of performance-point (if the engine didn't create higher torque without the governed speed increase), however, it was a small price to pay vs. cost of tooling for lower PTO gear ratio.  Manufacturers also had to contend with belt hp performance, but towards the middle '60's. the importance of belt HP to the agricultural market fell off- most belt-driven implements were designed around lower-power tractors, hence, high belt-hp wasn't an incredible selling point.  That being the case, manufacturers didn't invest the engineering or production resources to alter belt-drive ratios, instead, they just left it as-was, and entrusted the operator to use due caution.  As time went on, and power demands increased, and PTO implements got big and mean, full-governed-speeds increased, manufacturers finally started revisiting rearend designs, PTO drive concepts (Cockshutt's live-PTO!), and PTO drive ratios to optimize PTO output power, especially on the Category II and III machines.  Agricultural engineers were constantly working to provide the highest PTO output numbers at the lowest fuel consumption and longest lifespan, it was not possible to make a drive ratio that yielded the desired output combination.  After the '60's, ROAD SPEED was also a consideration, and tractors were made with gearing and maximum governed speed to provide faster transit times between fields.

Amidst all this, was the implement manufacturer, who used the ASAE and ASME standards guidelines for selecting coupling equipment and calculating load applicability.  Once the design was done, proper implement manufacturers documented their products so that the operator would follow guidelines on operation.  Allis-Chalmers, for example, never made ANY implement, that didn't get passed to end user, without also being handed a book.

This is why, when you look at a tachometer, that SOME have the 540rpm 'window' in the same vicinity as full governed speed... while others, it's not.

How a person goes about using their equipment, is totally up to them, and totally determines how the driving force, and driven implement survive, and all the casual and catastrophic results that may occur.  The performance suggestions and safety mandates of the engineers of the machine-in-use should be abided by if you desire to get best performance, lifespan, and safety from the combination.  There is nothing wrong with telling another guy what YOU do, however, it is neither a wise nor honorable practice to do so without indicating that you're operating outside of the manufacturer's suggested realm, and it is an extreme disservice and liability to recomend to another a practice which occurs outside the envelope of the original design guidelines.  It is one thing to have equipment damage or injury due to one's own actions, it is totally another to suffer damage, injury, or death as a result of ill advise.  The damage to equipment and people can frequently be repaired, but the dead cannot be brought back to life.  The loss of friendship is irreplaceable. 

I have nobody to blame for my injuries except myself, and I plan on keeping it that way.  I would rather be the one injured, than to advise someone into peril.
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 1:14am
JD combines and maybe others don't really have a throttle.  It is more like a switch, they are either idle or wide open.  There is no in between.
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:05pm
Lets all put a fork in this topic!!
DanD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:20pm
I find it amazing the controversy this post has caused.  I couldn't imagine doing some jobs like blowing silage. chopping, or grinding feed at anything but wide open throttle.  On the other hand other jobs like running a square baler or pulling a corn planter call for a slower engine speed.  I'll post some links to videos.  You'll see my father baling hay with a 630 John Deere with a pto rpm near 540, but that same tractor in a mounted corn picker running full throttle (this isn't much different in those old two cylinder Deeres).  Then there's a vide of him grinding feed with a 1963 Series III D17 at wide open throttle with over 10,000 hours on it grinding corn with a Gehl feed mill that's been used twice a week since February of 1968.  Apparently no great harm is being done.  Then there's video of him combining with a Gleaner E, of course at wide open throttle which is goverened I think at a little less RPM than a D17 tractor.  Finally there's video of him plowing with a 185...usually around 2200 RPM, not at the full wide open 2500 RPM.  Of course I'm sure everyone realizes that wide open throttle on a tractor means the high idle goverened top speed.  It's not like having your car in park and putting the gas pedal clear to the floor.
[TUBE]VVWS9gdaY3A[/TUBE]
[TUBE]E-hCT0yVaRc[/TUBE]
[TUBE]TtFeeF6XM9o[/TUBE]
[TUBE]4u1s7ZD5ZS0[/TUBE]
[TUBE]xQqC_Vcmx9c[/TUBE]
Tell me what I'm doing wrong?!

Edited by DanD - 13 Jul 2011 at 7:27pm
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 4:22pm
Just so everyone understands how lame this argument of PTO speed is I took my hand held tack that came with a 72  all crop combine my uncle bought years ago and checked some pto speeds in relation to the tach on 2 tractors. I only have 2 540 tractors one is on the mower so I took the 720 JD diesel at the 540 PTO mark on the tach which is roughly 3/4 throttle the pto speed is 600 and full throttle the pto speed is 620. On the second tractor a 210 with the famous  high hp 426 that doesnt last, yet this one has run 200 hp and we have never had a problem with it( but I digress)  at the 1000 rpm mark on the tach the pto speed is 1100 which is roughly 3/4 throttle again, and at wide open the speed was just under 1200 about 1175. So this argument about running PTO speed, or not, who is taking care of there tractor and who isnt, what your dad taught you, and I dont mean any disrespect to your parents at all, in fact my Grandpa was a slow runner and his fits about a wide open tractor, which lead to other problems I wont get into here are advise given based on nothing . The pto speeds arent even correct on the tach its over running on both tractors immediatly, and wide open didnt change the speeds hardly at all, less than 10%. You guys must think that wide open on your pto is like doubling the speed. I have another 9 tractors here I can test if you like the rest are all 1000 except the 8050 which I can swith but my guess is the out come is going to be the same.If someone has a tractor they want to know the speed tell me if there is one here or close by I can test I will. Heres another point what did they do when they chopped corn, baled or did other pto work with a WD45 there is no tach, so what were your parents grandparents etc baseing an over run on?
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by BStone BStone wrote:

Originally posted by D17JIM D17JIM wrote:

I keep seeing all of the discussion and remember 2 things Dad would kick my [IMG]uploads/1/censored.bmp"> for (not the only 2 by the way) Running pto equipment over pto speed and not running full throttle on heavy tillage loads.  It worked for him on every tractor from a square back WC to the 8070 and many in between.
This is the shortest and best advice I've heard.Been doing that for 35 years and haven't any problems.

My dad would have done the same thing to me.  He wanted the field done and didn't want the tractor lugging.  That's also how the experimental tractors on field test were run.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by Lonn Lonn wrote:

I agree with you victory except on the combine issue. You have to run them wide open and load them down to rated speed in order to get full efficiency and not leave crop in the field. On a gasoline engined combine the governor can't hold a constant speed very well unless you open it up. 

This topic for some reason has hit some nerves and I can't figure out why.

X2 plus the walkers and sieves are designed to work best at full rated engine speed.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:20am
I agree with you victory except on the combine issue. You have to run them wide open and load them down to rated speed in order to get full efficiency and not leave crop in the field. On a gasoline engined combine the governor can't hold a constant speed very well unless you open it up. 

This topic for some reason has hit some nerves and I can't figure out why.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Ryan Renko View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ryan Renko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:54am
Amen Victoryallis!!!
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:44am
As much of a allis person as I am the ignornce of some of the posters on here is about ruining the appeal of this site for me not to mention how far from allis equipment some of the topics are is crazy.   Match the rpm's to the task.  Full throttle on a silo blower would be a must but that is more of a excption than the rule.  My 6080 has 9000 plus hours on it without a overhaul those didn't come from me rodding on it.   Why didn't the higher horse power 426's last?  To many rpm's that's why.  I learned from my grandfather who used his C daily from the day it was new till he stepped aside in the mid 90's how to take care of equipment.  He also has a D-17 with 11,000 plus hours on it.  Something must have been done right there. He made a living with those tractors not just tractor shows a living. I also doubt most combines run full tilt 90% of the time unless you have a cart running with them try more like 70% of the time and that is like the silo blower stuation where you need the rpm's.  Go ahead run full tilt it just makes for more organ donors in the salvage yard. 
So long
victoryallis
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
Well to answer the original question, I run my 175D with the brushhog at the 540 rpm mark on the tach, throttle up as needed in the tough stuff, throttle back going down hills. I have done this for the last 7 years and probably could run the tractor without a tach as I can "feel" the correct range just by the sound and vibration. I've tried running faster, but I think it actually makes the cut worse and my fuel consumption just goes up. In rough conditions (rocks, rough ground) I throttle way back and the quality of cut doesn't change...and I stay more relaxed and in control.  Running wide open is just stressful to me.

Like others have said, there is a reason the manual states "540" rpm. It was designed for that speed!  As for running full throttle, under load, speed is your friend...bearings can take a bigger load at a faster speed....as long as they don't overheat! I have no problem running non-pto jobs wide open as long as I am under load and need the power.
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
ranger42 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 8:46am
BStone...that's about as clear as it can get...I think the original question got changed a litte from PTO work to tillage work and your statment covers both!
BStone View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:57am
Originally posted by D17JIM D17JIM wrote:

I keep seeing all of the discussion and remember 2 things Dad would kick my [IMG]uploads/1/censored.bmp"> for (not the only 2 by the way) Running pto equipment over pto speed and not running full throttle on heavy tillage loads.  It worked for him on every tractor from a square back WC to the 8070 and many in between.
This is the shortest and best advice I've heard.Been doing that for 35 years and haven't any problems.
KGood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KGood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:29am
We put tachs on our wd's so as to run right on the money for pto. My NH haybine just got a $1000 wobblebox and that is the weak point on my machine plus it's not fun to change. I'am not putting more stress on it by running it faster than that I'll drop a gear first. And on our 45year old Massy baler says all over in the book to not run more than 540. Balers running faster have more momentum to do more damage. Now a bush hog or silage blower etc. would be a different story. I wouldn't be worried bumping them up a little. Thats just our practice.
D17JIM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D17JIM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 6:59am
I keep seeing all of the discussion and remember 2 things Dad would kick my for (not the only 2 by the way) Running pto equipment over pto speed and not running full throttle on heavy tillage loads.  It worked for him on every tractor from a square back WC to the 8070 and many in between.
Matt (NEIA) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt (NEIA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 1:00am
I try to run my tractors at 2/3 throttle, lawn mowers always at full throttle but that comparing apples to oranges as stated above.  When run at 2/3 throttle you always have that spare throttle to play with but latley i'm guility of buying oversized equipment in the name of getting more done faster or so i think!   lol
1955 WD-45 with factory PS
michaelwis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote michaelwis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:18pm
Always run all my blower  tractors wide open , cause i hate unplugging pipes from an 80 foot silo .. 
WD WD45 DIESEL D 14 D-15 SERIES 2 190XT TERRA TIGER ac allcrop 60   GLEANER F 6060 7040.and attachments for all Proud to be an active farmer
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:12pm
WOW !!!!!!!
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:57pm
In the case of your Loco with a cylinder not producing as much as the others, one dead or low cyl is reducing the maximum output from the engine, the operator then leans on the throttle more for a longer time. Fuel useage is up/economy is down. There again, pushing more fuel into it, more heat developed. Same load, engine not producing full power, RPM's down, more heat, taxing the cooling system....
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:33pm

Dave, I'm going to disagree with you on the reduced speed overheating scenario on the XT. Like KCG is saying, opened the throttle and no more heating.

1. Fan speed and air flow across the radiator.
2. Coolant flow through the engine and radiator.
3. On a Roosa Master pump, when you load the engine down, there is a point that the metering valve is no longer limiting engine torque via the torque screw. The design of the rotor allows for torque backup. When the rotor slows, the charging ports are in register for a longer period of time so the leaf spring that limits the maximum travel of the plungers is what limits maximum fuel. This gives more fuel than what is controlled by the metering valve.
4. Timing. The injection timing advances with RPM's. Late timing makes any engine labor and run hot.
5. Turbo boost. Maximum boost requires exhaust flow from engine speed. Black smoke is not just unburned fuel out the exhaust, it's also heat. With more engine speed comes more air flow through the engine's combustion chamber.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:42am
Originally posted by ranger42 ranger42 wrote:

Great explanation Dave!....I appreciate the explanation from an enginerring perspective and common sense. From my experience I agree with you on every front. Also, I think we all can agree that there are instances where engines are "de-tuned" for longevity. One I know that has been discussed on this site in the past is the 426 in the N-6 combine. Where RPM's were dropped most often by private owners or AC mechanics who have them in for service and they had much more luck for durabilty stand point.

I don't know what the OEM rpm setting for the N-6 was, but the 426 wasn't happy at the 2550 rpm setting of the 7080.  The engine was much happier at the 2400 rpm setting of the 8070.
Mark

GTH-L Simplicity

ranger42 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ranger42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:16am
Great explanation Dave!....I appreciate the explanation from an enginerring perspective and common sense. From my experience I agree with you on every front. Also, I think we all can agree that there are instances where engines are "de-tuned" for longevity. One I know that has been discussed on this site in the past is the 426 in the N-6 combine. Where RPM's were dropped most often by private owners or AC mechanics who have them in for service and they had much more luck for durabilty stand point.
Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:14am
Dave, you dont have to worry abot me taking it personally, am always willing to learn something new, but I do know the XT has or had no problems in that sitation, other than it was not making full hp on a continuous bassis. If you ever ran a recutter its a heavy pto load like a dyno but it lasts for hours on end, rather than intermitant, like a hard spot in the field etc, so once the load starts its there for as long as you were grinding, which back than we would start it at 7 am shut down for lunch and start back up till about 4  so other than a small breather as the next wagon pulled in it was pretty much full load . The only difference between the 2 setups was one was full throttle and playing with the recutter, and 3/4 throttle and laboring on it. Now the out line you have decribed may have had something to do with it, but we have had no heating problems with that tractor in any situation other than a recutter at lowered rpms. Again not to beat a dead horse here, but I am not saying that every situation requires full rpms, but in a heavy load, the engine and implements were designed for full speed and you are not doing any damage to either by running it there. Nor is the engine or implements being damaged by a slower setting, a little common sence will go along way in this, every condition requires a different approach, but on the recutter full rpm was required . Its much like a semi tractor taking a hill if your pulling the hill in too high a gear the engine begins to labor the heat starts to rise, shift down a gear, bring the rpms up lower the load and the temp goes right back down. By some of your guys comments about full throttle settings hurting engines or being abusive is just so out in left field, if that was so there would be a million dead semis blown up on the side of any grade, becasue every trucker I know is going to have there foot in it for full power to take a hill. My last point here on this matter is again, if damage or abuse was occurring in full RPM the manufacture would not let the throttle go that far. Peace everyone.
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:50am
Let's all take a chill pill! Good Grief!!!!!

Edited by JayIN - 12 Jul 2011 at 6:51am
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 6:12am
Wow, this topic has taken off. On my 7050 I only pull a 4x18 plow so I usually only run about 1,900 rpm. It has never overheated or poured black smoke or whatnot. I could use the XT but the 7050 is much more comfortable and I like having all that available power. I also have run the XT at less than full rpm pulling a 9 shank Krause chisel plow without problems but the tractor will lug in the tough spots so I normally run at 2,200 rpm. My Dad rarely ever runs a tractor at full throttle unless whatever he's hooked to requires it and he made it through a lifetime of farming without blowing an engine. I tend to run a little faster than Dad and so far after about 30 years of field work never have had any problems either. I think everyone here knows their equipment pretty well so that they know what they can do and can't. Some run fast and some run a little slower.

A combine should always be run at full throttle and not allowed to get below a certain rpm or you'll put grain on the ground but I think most people that farm know that.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:18am
Originally posted by Kcgrain Kcgrain wrote:

> it was over heating because the engine not being at full throttle was  not running at the HP needed to run the recutter, so the engine, laboring was generating more heat than the system was designed to cool.

KC, please don't take it as insult, but I'm saying that from principle of thermodynamics and power-unit operation, this conclusion is a fallacy.  The situation you describe happens in diesel stationaries and railroad locomotives occasionally (I taught troubleshooting on it for many years, and addressed this directly).  There IS something wrong, and by increasing speed, you're simply masking the problem.  My great-uncle's '68ish XT plows, bales, mows, and throws silage, and we've NEVER had overheating problems under ANY circumstance. 

Regardless, having cooling concerns does not justify overspeeding a PTO driven implement.  Allis never designed it's equipment in such a way that it couldn't be used within ASME compatibility.  That would be akin to a car manufacturer designing a car so that it couldn't be operated below posted speed limits, or a variable-speed drill to be operated at any other speed than full-grip.

There are many things that cause diesels to suffer light-load overheating.  Frequently an injector issue on just one or two cylinders, exhaust valves that aren't seating soon/solid enough, an improperly operating wastegate, or a control rack that isn't equally metering fuel.  The most humiliating, is an injector return pathway that is plugged.  IN any event, the result is the same.  Fastest way to narrow down that problem nowdays, is to start and run up the engine to about half-speed, and then take a walk down each bank (locomotive here) with a video thermography camera and look for one cylinder that is operating COLDER than the rest.  Then, find out why.  Once they're all running at same temp at half-speed, you'll find it's much happier through the entire band, and has much better manners and more spunk.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic