This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steam engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: steam engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 8:02am
who here has a steam engine or has drove and operated one. what kinds?
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Sponsored Links

Charles (KY) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:16am

Have an Advance

acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:17am
what size
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:20am
22 hp Traction engine
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:21am
My granddad had a Case 65hp, heard many stories of it on a saw mill.   Now I have aspirations of building one but can't get away from tractors....what's a person to do?

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 9:49am
I'm a liscensed op... and I operate EVERY ONE I CAN!!!.

Here's one that a buddy has... and has been working on it for a while...
http://www.todengine.org/Default.aspx?pageId=631283

He's got some others, as well as a locomotive, and some other neat stuff.

Kcgrain View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kcgrain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:46am
I have a 750 hp Allis Chalmers Reynolds Corliss engine with generator, but have not a clue how to run it
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 12:01pm
well i go to a local show were i operate a 80hp case w/duals, 2 of 3 canadian reeves left in existance, and have operated a keck-gonnerman steam engine that was resently sold on smokstak.com.. the huy that runs this show owns all of the steam engines their. he owns 1 of 2 reeves highwheelers that doesnt run. and a autman taylor tractor. i have messing with steam traction engines for only 3 years and im 14 now!....
David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 12:01pm
Our annual reunion has a bunch of steam. Click the link below for more info.
David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 12:53pm
this summer im planning on going to  mount pleasent iowa for the big steam show
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 1:04pm
That is one thing that I've never seen in person. I have always loved the old steam locomotives and a steam tractor is basically a steam locomotive on tractor wheels. None of the shows around here that I've been to have had a steam tractor. By all of the photos and videos I've seen of them they look pretty awesome.
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 3:33pm

Am looking for someone to paint this one.  Not looking so much as a restoration but just to keep in from rusting away.  Last time it was fired up was 1985 although I did put in new flues and ran it a couple of days taking the family for rides.  It is still free as of a couple of years ago.  Any info on someone to do this would be appreciated.

Rfdeere View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rfdeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by Kcgrain Kcgrain wrote:

I have a 750 hp Allis Chalmers Reynolds Corliss engine with generator, but have not a clue how to run it

Do you have it set up ? Where did it come from ?
Randy Freshour,Member Indiana AC Partners,
http://www.rumelyallis.com
rob(ont) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rob(ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:02pm
Have operated a 20 Waterloo (a sweet running engine) and a 25 George White. Now own, (or should I say it owns me) the White. It is currently awaiting a new boiler.
WhiskeySup View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhiskeySup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 5:31pm
 Always lots of steam at the Lanesvill In. Heritage Festival. This year it is Sept. 9-11. Lots of vintage tractors, stationary engines, demonstrations and horse drawn plowing competitions. I get a big charge out of those huge steam tractors.
Billoh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:34pm
I have 2 Bakers ,her is one of them.
Billoh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Billoh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 6:46pm
That picture was taken at the Malabar farm show ,which they don't have any more.I have a boiler license & state inspected engine.They gave me 180 lb, which is what it came from the factory with.
kffischer View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kffischer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Billoh Billoh wrote:

I have 2 Bakers ,her is one of them.

uniflow!  interesting exhaust note under load.

karl f
almost enough hours for MN hobby boiler license
David Gibson (OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Gibson (OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:28pm
Last year at our show (Darke County Steam Threshers) we had the first Baker and the last Baker, a Baker steam roller and a Baker tractor.
David Gibson
http://www.darkecountysteam.com
1956 WD45
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 11:43pm
ya'll wanna see sumthin steamin and boilin....it's my ole lady....oooops....i mean my sometimes loving wife....when i gits home late!
Okiejohn View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Okiejohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 12:20am
Next weekend is the tractor show at Pawnee, OK, haven't made it in several years now, but there used to be LOTS of steam there. It started out as an all-steam show, then went to antique tractors and everything else being welcome, too. They have, or at least they used to have, one of those big A-C steam engines, and a Corliss generator that used to furnish power for a smelter in the area, up until in the 1960's.
Be sure you are right, then go ahead.--Davy Crockett
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:25am
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:27am
i dont own these but i operate them. i like the 80hp case
Kevin(Alabama) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kevin(Alabama) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:53am
I have a steam engine made by Schofield Iron works in Macon, Ga. It powered a local cotton gin. I was told it was the equal to a 100 hp electric motor.
"I would die a thousand deaths before I would betray a friend."...Sam Davis, Nov. 27, 1863.....DEO VINDICE
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:02am
If you want to see lots of steam engines working, attend the Western Minnesota Steam Threshers Reunion some time.  Besides lots of "ordinary" steam engines, they have real steam powered shovels, derricks, saw mills etc.  There's also a steam powered locomotive circling the grounds.

http://www.rollag.com/index.php
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:40am
There are at least two steam locomotives at WMSTR at Rollag. One standard gauge, and one 15" gauge. There were at least 100 steam tractors at Mt. Pleasant last time I was there, all in steam. More not fired up. The daily tractor parade took three hours running three a breast, over 1000 numbers.

Many a smaller Iowa show has a few steam tractors and one or a few shows happen practically each summer weekend. That's also true of Indiana, Missouri, Illinois, Nebraska, Minnesota, and likely Wisconsin.

Rollag does cover more acres than Mt. Pleasant, but I didn't think had as many tractors.

Gerald J.
JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:51am
ya'll need to ride down our way for Steam!

from last years 4th of July Parade - http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d84/Joecdeere/2010%204th%20of%20July%20Parade/?albumview=slideshow

Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Don M SEIA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:04pm
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 6:32pm
The closest thing to a steam engine I have run is not one big enough to ride on. Its a Stuart Turner 5A model engine about 16 inches tall that runs nice and smooth on compressed air. What I read about them is they are about 1.5 hp at 100 psi and will power a small boat. It has the forward and reverse feature.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:40pm
There is a Reeves with near new boiler for sale near Hopkinsville, KY. Widow owns it and it is for sale. I think around 100 HP or so. Im sure some dealers in the area wilkl know how to contact owner. I was at a sale there a few years ago. Hilpiper conducted auction.HTH Tracy Martin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic