This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

steam engines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 8:51pm

Tracy wasn't the Reeves the 2 cylinder that sold for around $150,000?

Sponsored Links

acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:17pm
when exactly did it sell and who bought it?
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Charles (KY) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 9:36pm
I think that sale was at least 2 or 3 years ago.  The owner had died and his widow was selling most of the engines, threshers and plows.  He had several traction engines and stationary engines.  I don't remember who bought it but I remember he wasn't from here.  A lot of the people at the sale were from out of town.  The big engine had just been inspected and was still being put back together.  I went to buy a plow for our engine.  Couldn't touch the price though.  Beautiful engine though.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:08pm
Pretty sure it is a Reeves. As of last Saturday it was still there.It was not sold at the auction sale 3 or 4 years ago. The engine is valued at 225 thousand  or better. Probably one of the best in this country. There was a 12 or 15 bottom plow at the sale he pulled with that engine. Previous owner farmed with these engines. Died in his sleep. HTH Tracy Martin

Edited by Tracy Martin TN - 01 May 2011 at 10:11pm
morton(pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morton(pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 10:25pm
I've been trying to get into Rough and Tumbles steam school for the past couple of years. It fills up quick!!! Haven't got a chance yet but I'd love to run a Peerless, Baker, or Geiser (spelling?) some day. 
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2011 at 11:19pm
I have operated a few at our local show, but only for a few minutes here and there.  Im not licensed and have a lot to learn to do so.  I always try to get time to steer one once in a while.  Have asisted on two Advance Rumelys, a 23-90 Baker Uni-Flo, and a Port Huron.  Would love to have more time with them but there never seems to be a shortage of licensed operators at the show, so I assist in other work there.

Steam engines are my first love in tractors, but dont have the $$$ to own one.

Heres a few videos ive done.

[TUBE]ztEewU7eADo[/TUBE]

[TUBE]oicpqo3Gd9Y[/TUBE]

I have a few videos from our local show that I need to upload.

Jim

Edited by JimIA - 01 May 2011 at 11:20pm
Don M SEIA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 10:18am
Good pictures and video.  Old Threshers will feature AC in 2012 , any year that year, would like see alot of impelments and stuff.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 12:29pm
Last I knew Mt. Pleasant had a steam school too. Always thought it might be interesting to go just to learn. Proper steam engine operation is a dying art.
I have two toy engines. One is a Mamod that you have to actually have a fire under it's boiler. The other one is a very old toy that has an electric heater in it's boiler. Seems like it's a Jensen brand.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:03pm
They had their steam school last weekend. They are talking about adding more capacity, because it fills up fast.  I also have an electric Jensen.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 3:19pm
call 319-385-8937 for the 2012 school.  If you go the Events tab on the Old Threshers web site.http://www.oldthreshers.org there is a listing of steam school to go to.  Do you come to Old Threshers ?  Don

Edited by Don M SEIA - 03 May 2011 at 3:22pm
acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:02pm
i will be going to old threshers next year i cant make it this year. it would be nice to take a tractor next year for the a-c feature. what kind of steam engines are they featuring.

At some local show there is some steam not alot though, in jacksonville illinois there is a show there and there is a undermount avery, huber ?size?, advance, a homemade road locomotive, and some others but i like the avery.

at jerseyville they have 2 canaidian reeves, 80hp case, (the ones i posted pictures of earlier) reeves high wheeler, used to have a keck-gonnerman, and a small scale advance.
wd with a freeman model 90 trip loader, wd45, 38 unstylled wc, b 10 garden tractor and 2-14 ac trip plow. grandpa has a 56 wd45. wd. allis chalmers snap coupler blade and 3 bottom snap coupler plow
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 8:34pm
Late in the summer season the Maryland Steam Historical Society has a Steam Show at Arcadia, MD.  The Almish came from Lancaster County to run the engines.  There were steam powered saw mills and other applications.  I went to it around 1958 and remember seeing a huge array of steam power.  All running very well.
I understand that this show still is in operation.  In fact, Fred attended it last year.
They have a Web Site.  Look it up at Google under Arcadia Steam. 
They have a show Sept 15 - 18.
Enjoy!
Good Luck!
Bill Long

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

I'm a liscensed op... and I operate EVERY ONE I CAN!!!.

Here's one that a buddy has... and has been working on it for a while...
http://www.todengine.org/Default.aspx?pageId=631283

He's got some others, as well as a locomotive, and some other neat stuff.

WOW!! That there is some heavy metal Dave. That would be sompin to see for sure.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2011 at 9:59pm
And how big a boiler does it take to make it turn that flywheel at speed?
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
MARK W (NY) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MARK W (NY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:10pm
http://youtu.be/Ecww1AmE3Ow   This is a link to the allis coreliss engine at the pageant of Steam in Canandagiua NY . This used to power,  I believe Macinac island in MI.if i remember correctly. They got it running in 2004 for the gathering of the orange. 
Dennis IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:19pm
I don't want to get too far off subject here but Did anybody happen to see on modern marvles or could have been History channel last night the show STEAM! they went to Jay Leno's place and showed his steam cars as well as his stationary steam engines including a corliss! NO JOKE! he has one A BIG ONE!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 9:51pm
If this works it is a utube of the AC 750hp Steam water pump, called Marshall ,because it used pump water for the city of Marshalltown, Iowa.http://youtu.be/u41sah-rRO8
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:10pm
Most shows that have big Corliss engines don't put a load on them and don't run them at rated speed so they don't take so much boiler. At least at Mt. Pleasant,IA,  Rollag,MN, and Waukee, IA that's the case. And running slow with no load they can set the valves for a short burst of steam each stroke and get full expansion.

Gerald J.
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2011 at 11:22pm
I go to Mt.Pleasant every couple of years.Great show,demonstrations,museums,Trains,Tractors,Steam Engines,Little bit of everything.Great place to spend a day.Glad to hear A/C will be featured tractor for 2012. Finally be able to see a D-17 there.Always had a 57 cut off for some reason.Plenty of orange there usually though.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 1:37pm
Are any of you on facebook, I put some steam engine  pictures on it.  Don Mathews Danville, IA
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Don M SEIA Don M SEIA wrote:

Are any of you on facebook, I put some steam engine  pictures on it.  Don Mathews Danville, IA
Don, is your Jensen reversible? Mine is and the piston has what I think is called a crosshead. The cylinder is a double acting type. I usually make Mt Pleasant one whole day. Two years ago we did pull the camper down there. My wife doesn't share the same enthusiasm for tractors and engines as I dom though.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2011 at 11:38pm

I live 15 miles from it.  I'm there everyday, and pullout and putback days.  Same for my wife.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don M SEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2011 at 11:04pm
Brian , I'm pretty sure mine is reversible, it's been a while since I've had it steamed up.   I remember take it to school to demonstrate. 
If you or anybody gets to Old Threshers , give me a call 319-572-0914,  I help with the steam and tractor threshing at 10 &3  each day, west of the tractor area.
roughstock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roughstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 8:28am
This is the biggest steam traction engine I have ever seen. It's an Avery shown at the Buckley Old Engine show in Buckley, MI.

acwdwcman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acwdwcman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 9:00am
the biggest ive ever seen was a 110 hp case at a show in  pickneville illinois
JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:50pm
Heres mine

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TBLoDL2Nj1Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[TUBE]http://youtu.be/TBLoDL2Nj1Y[/TUBE]

Edited by JR Maley - 10 May 2011 at 12:54pm
Brad Kelley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:05pm
Here is my 1903 J.I. Case traction engine.  It is the smallest size traction engine produced by Case and weighs about 10,000 lbs dry.  It was advertised by Case as a "9 HP" tractor, however at that time they literally rated their tractors as doing the work of X many horses.  The engine proper actually develops about 30 brake HP at 250 RPM and at full boiler pressure (125 PSI) and after about 1910 the factories started rating the tractors by brake HP or by drawbar HP.  We are allowed to run at a max of 100 PSI due to Virginia law and the design of our boiler (riveted lap seam barrel), but the condition of the boiler is good enough to safely operate at the original 125 PSI.

[TUBE]_79HXdNL0B8[/TUBE]

[TUBE]n4YxNrHclGY[/TUBE]

I also have an 18-50 HP return flue Huber that is awaiting restoration.  It weighs about 20,000 lbs dry.  I had to buy a D19D to be able to move that engine around my yard because my D14 just didn't have the weight.

I've run a Huber at the Berryville, VA show that is exacly like mine:

I've run a number of other traction engines at shows including:
25 HP Advance Rumely
10 HP Gaar-Scott
40-120 HP Geiser Peerless
36-120 HP Rumely
28 HP Sawyer-Massey
110 HP Best
50 HP Case
18 HP Avery
40-120 HP Avery

Edited by Brad Kelley - 11 May 2011 at 1:14pm
Brad Kelley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Kelley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 1:09pm
For those interested in the huge Corliss engines; the Field Day of the Past show in Richmond, VA powers their sawmill with their Corliss engine.  I have a short video of the valve motion on that engine, but unfortunately it doesn't show the whole setup.  You can hear the saw in the log and see the engine's governor open up the valves to admit more steam.  They power the engine with a large trailer mounted industrial package boiler.

[TUBE]c9PkzaqVYdI[/TUBE]
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Dennis IL Dennis IL wrote:

I don't want to get too far off subject here but Did anybody happen to see on modern marvles or could have been History channel last night the show STEAM! they went to Jay Leno's place and showed his steam cars as well as his stationary steam engines including a corliss! NO JOKE! he has one A BIG ONE!

Jay is always joking about having a BIG ONE but I didn't realize it was a steam engine!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 7:02pm
There's a Corliss engine inside at the Sakamia Co Washington Historical Society Museum at Stevenson Washington.

I saw it a couple days ago. They run it with an electric motor on occasion, but they do have a boiler next to it.

Gerald J.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic