This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

heald hauler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: heald hauler
    Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 11:28pm
just got done working on my old heald hauler and thought i would see how many are still out there.  i see a few on you tube but not to many.  this one was bought new by my neighbor back in 81 and i purchased it from his widow about 6 years ago.  it has a 18 hp twin briggs with a variable speed set up kind of resembling a snowmobile .  anyway its my wood hauling farm rig.   thought you might get a kick out of seeing it.   it was 2100 bucks in 81 and you assembled alot of it.
Sponsored Links

HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 12:59am
Don't know if this is related to yours, but this is a J-93 Hauler manufactured by kimball manufacturing in Benton Harbor Michigan.  It is a customers of mine, which I recently did some work on it.  It is a sweet little machine, its got an 18 horse honda v-twin, with a 3 speed transmission with variable drive like a snowmobile.  I actually wish it were mine.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 11:14am
The Heald Hauler,what memories that brings back.I would see the advertisement in the back of Prarie Farmer and Sucessful Farming Magazines.I bugged my father and grandfather for years that we should get one.They both saisd they look cheaply built and cost too much.
How did these machines hold up.Thats the first photo I ever saw of one.I always thought they would be fun to have around and maybe even useful.Look at all the 10,000$ UTV's that are out there now
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 3:30pm
  we have hauled countless cords of firewood from the stack to the basement and when its time to do a chore its usually in the middle of it.   i wouldn't mind not having a briggs under the hood but i have not touched it other than a starter drive.  every thing on the cart is made from off the shelf parts or fabricated from steel.   no suspension so it slows you down on bumpy fields.  its my chief gopher trapping ride.   i have two honda big reds and they have their place but its nicer to carry things with you this is the ride to have.  i got to say i love the jeep front sheet metal on that other photo and yes when you tilt the box up the seat back goes up with it.   i been wanting to make a vinyl top for it. we get alot of rain and it would make it more usable it the seat were dry.   before this i was going to gut an electric golf cart and make a usable rig out of it.  but this came along .  up the road from me on a vineyard there was a three wheeled one.
ToddSin NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ToddSin NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:43pm
Thats pretty cool! Are they 2 or 4 wheel drive?
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 6:59pm
I have an elderly friend who rebuilds starters and generators for me and he has one just like the one in Hagers pic
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 7:03pm
ours is two wheel drive with a gear differential.  has twin disc brakes on the rear axle only.  the steering is kind of hard with two sprockets a small sprocket on the column shaft and a large sprocket with the tie rods attaching to the large sprocket.  the dump is manual. the front axle is a twin i beam design.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 9:20pm
I think a guy could build a fairly good imitation using a lengthened garden tractor chassis. 
I have a Ford 14HP with a 2 speed hydro that might be a perfect candidate.
It's not fast but moves along pretty good in high range and is a real puller in low range.
You sure got me thinking!
HagerAC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HagerAC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2011 at 10:01pm
The one in my picture is 2wd, and has hydraulic drum brakes on all 4 wheels.  It also has electric lift for the box.
30+ A-Cs ranging from a 1928 20-35, to a 1984 8070FWA, Gleaner R52
turfguy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turfguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:28pm
I have a j93 hauler in good condition and i am looking to buy parts.  I need a clutch but cant find one. Is there any dealers ?
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 10:12pm
i just bought some parts thru Power Tec of benton harbor MI  1 800 535 9529  he is very knowledgeable . his parts are somewhat fabricated but they all fit and work ok. parts are pricey. 
Byron WC in SW Wi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Byron WC in SW Wi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 10:17pm
I remember seeing them advertised and thought they were cool too.  I think they had an optional cab and snow plow too.  Brings back memories of a simpler time for me.
Seahemp Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seahemp Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 7:21am
I just recently acquired a three wheeled model from the early 70's (we think it is first generation.  Love it!  Of course someone had to confuse everyone by making it look like a John Deere. LOL
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 10:02am
good to see a few still are out there.  some folks up the road had the three wheeled version ten years ago it was in the fence row and i could never get it bought now its gone. still use my four wheeled one weekly.
camelot35 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camelot35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 6:31pm
Hi, where are you from ? I have a 3 wheeled hauler just like yours....steering wheel and all< its a Heald Mark3 hauler, yours should be a Mark 4 because its 4 wheeled. Post more pictures if you have them...thanks
Channel_Seedsman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Channel_Seedsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:05pm
This is ours, found a 3 wheel version at the local scrap yard, thought about saving it but it was to far gone
SIMPLICITY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIMPLICITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:49pm
SIMPLICITY View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SIMPLICITY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:51pm
MY DAD HAS 3  1) 3 WHEEL WITH BICYCLE HANDLE BAR  2) 3 WHEEL WITH STEERING WHEEL  3) JEEP
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 9:45pm
we used ours this weekend to haul wood.
jslambert76 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jslambert76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:25pm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jslambert76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2014 at 7:32pm
Hey I have the 4-wheel version of the Heald Hauler.  I was having trouble getting the Beast out of Reverse.  I tore out the gear box and and found that the splines on the input shaft that controls forward and reverse had sheared the roll pins causing the spring loaded ball to lock up seizing all movement.  I am curious if anyone knows where I can get new or used parts for not only the input shaft assembly but the lever that moves the sincros for the forward and reverse.

Help if you can
Thanks
Jeff
farmer0_1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmer0_1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2014 at 9:42am
did you try and call power tech of michigan? the phone number is posted above

Edited by farmer0_1 - 07 Nov 2014 at 9:43am
normlf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 2:20pm
I just hauled a Heald Hauler four wheel unit home today...this one has a cab and even the doors ..   Starts, runs decent, drives fine.....needs some TLC....... I'm on a search for part sources and trying to figure out what it would be worth.....both as is.....and if it is fixed properly.   Most fixes are cosmetic and lubrication and that sort of thing.   Body is in great shape with little rust and almost no dents......and what is there is easily repairable.

Does anyone have any ideas; suggestions; recommendations....anything pertaining to this odd machine.
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 6:58pm
We like pictures if you have some.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
normlf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2014 at 9:47pm
I have only one picture at the moment and that's not all that helpful. I will take a batch of pictures to show what it looks like. I worked on it for a while today and am pleased with what I've found....quite good condition...... Going to spend some time tweaking it back to prime condition....

As for the pictures....I'll have to figure out how to include those here.....have not had the time yet...but will do so.

Norm
normlf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:38pm
I have some pictures and with luck I can get them so you can have a look......any idea what it might be worth?

MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:42pm
That's pretty cool, no idea what it's worth but it looks like something I need.
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 6 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
normlf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2014 at 9:54pm
I had to look up Baxter.....I've been to Brainerd on business a couple of time about 10 years ago....nice area....but a bit cold for me...

The Heald Hauler belongs to a friend who just moved from a small horse ranch to a retirement condo.....because of Parkinson's   I hauled it to my shop to check it out, fix a couple of minor issues and then sell it..

I thought I might like to have it, but have to be honest with myself.....I have no real use for it....and don't want to tie up my garage space.

The Heald is in pretty decent condition. Start and runs good...drive works fine. Tires are good.   A crack or two that will be repaired and have cleaned it up some. Thought about fully restoring it, but not sure I want to spend that much time.

Would like some idea what they are selling for......can't find many for sale...apparently not real common.

Norm
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jslambert76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 3:30pm
Norm
I have been doing a little research on these machines, because I recently acquired one and I am looking for a few parts. I have found that the 4 version ranges between $1,500 to $2,500. That's just what I have found and finding that wasn't real easy. If you're are looking for parts call Powertec. The number is 800 535 9529, www.powertecparts.com.

Good luck
Jeff
normlf View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote normlf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 4:02pm
One was recently listed on EBay fro $2500, but I don't know if that sold. That one was in rough shape compared to the one I have which is quite nice.....starts and runs and drives decent. I fixed a lot of little things, but all minor in nature. Just started acting up a bit and I suspect the fuel pump in the carburetor is the culprit....and carb kits are available for $20 on EBay....so will bite the bullet and get that done.   Hard to work on those engine buried in between the frame rails and under the cab.....so I dread the job....but will get it done......    Parts for the 16 hp opposed twin seem to be readily available....but other than the fuel issue, this one seems good.....as is the drive train.

Thanks much for the sharing....will do so with you if I learn something of importance.

Norm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic