This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 purchase
    Posted: 17 Dec 2010 at 8:54am
I'm looking at a HD5 for sale for scrap price and need some help in determining if this is worth purchasing or not. This is what I know, it is not running and was bought at a auction this way. He simply bought it to scrap it. There is no obvious problems with the 2-71 engine and it appears to have been sitting inside for sometime. The undercarriage to my untrained eye is about 70% life left if not more. Nothing is missing and the machine has been repainted, has hitch and loader. I didn't see any wear on the hitch and the loader appears in good shape, the bushings all appear good along with most of the hydraulic lines. I did find oil in the radiator , probably less then a 1/4 cup in total. All of the gauges are there and the wiring looks in good shape. Good seat, muffler has flap, a few dents but overall the sheet metal and grill are in good shape. I also noticed when I checked the fuel tank is it smelled like old stale gas, brown in color. Unless I'm missing something these only take diesel?  All in all for a machine of its age it appears to be in very good condition

Knowing this, what is the rough price a machine like this would be worth? And if it turned out the machine is not worth fixing what could I except for selling parts from this machine.

Thanks
Eric
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 2:03pm
You have 12,000 lb of iron there so figure that on price, the machine sold for $12,000 when new . I have bought them for $800 to $3,000  depending on when or what year. Mine i would not sell for less than $6,500 now . parts are out there to fix most everything but track is hard to find now.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 18 Dec 2010 at 2:05pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2010 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by engx11 engx11 wrote:

I'm looking at a HD5 for sale for scrap price and need some help in determining if this is worth purchasing or not. This is what I know, it is not running and was bought at a auction this way. He simply bought it to scrap it. There is no obvious problems with the 2-71 engine and it appears to have been sitting inside for sometime. The undercarriage to my untrained eye is about 70% life left if not more. Nothing is missing and the machine has been repainted, has hitch and loader. I didn't see any wear on the hitch and the loader appears in good shape, the bushings all appear good along with most of the hydraulic lines. I did find oil in the radiator , probably less then a 1/4 cup in total. All of the gauges are there and the wiring looks in good shape. Good seat, muffler has flap, a few dents but overall the sheet metal and grill are in good shape. I also noticed when I checked the fuel tank is it smelled like old stale gas, brown in color. Unless I'm missing something these only take diesel?  All in all for a machine of its age it appears to be in very good condition

Knowing this, what is the rough price a machine like this would be worth? And if it turned out the machine is not worth fixing what could I except for selling parts from this machine.

If there is no appearent problems with the motor, why is it not running? A broken final drive is often the reason some of these are put to rest.

Thanks
Eric
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 7:25am
Around here scrap would bring about $2K. They are hard to move, hard to work on. There is a newer one local here with broken final drive that good friend who collect heavy AC iron is not even interested in [ he usually does everything possible to save old AC Ind. Equipt]. Maybe in better times it would be more attractive. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 7:51am
Can be moved in roll-off box, easier to work on than later machines as real basic, if rear case is bad 9onething that does break then lot of work involved. Parts can be sold if you have the time to part it and price is right, someone on here was looking for a 2-71, and another looking for track.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
engx11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 8:04am
I talked to the owner and he said he was told at the auction it ran three years ago, I will see in a week or so since I bought it. Once I get it home I'll dig into it and let everyone know what I find and if it turns into a parts machine I'll let everyone know.  The tracks are free of dirt and it will be delivered on a rollback but I still need to move it 20 feet or so into my shop, do these roll easily? I have a Ford 555B I can push with and an small oliver tractor I can pull with, does everyone think that will do the job? Or are these just a real pain to move?
engx11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
Another question, are these 6 or 12 volt?
Lee Bradley View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee Bradley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 12:41pm
12 volt they went to 24 volt with the HD-6.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 12:42pm
the backhoe should move it with ease, they roll easily once blade or bucket is off the ground. they are 12 volt machines, originally with 2- 6volt batteries connected in series. one large battery will crank them if it is not too cold. i did not notice, is it a dozer or loader?
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
engx11 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engx11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 3:36pm
It's a loader. This is my first diesel and noticed the fuel smelled like stale gas and was brown in color. So I'm going to drain the tank and lines, change the filters and oil. But as fare as the fuel that's in the pump and injectors should I drain and clean those as well? Any tips on bleeding the sysem as well would help.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 4:13pm
there is not much fuel in the lines or injectors and it is a recirculating system anyway, excess fuel gets pumped back into the tank. i would do the filters and tank as you said youare and give it a try. a sniff of ether is probably in order to get it to go. prime by cracking the lines or plugs on the second filter housing until fuel comes out, the rest will prime itself. i usually open the throttle fully, remove the precleaner, get it cranking, give it a shot of ether then close the throttle as it starts as not to race the engine. works like a charm. if you are just getting smoke, be sure it is spinning fast and give it another shot of ether but go sparingly as it can do damage or run away if you use too much. 2-71 detroits start up very easy with good batteries and a shot of ether. very reilable engine in my experience.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 12:27pm
as nice as that one looks, i sure wouldn't part it out! nor scrap it!
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 8:16pm
I believe the one in the picture is Coke's machine.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2010 at 9:07pm
Yes my HD5G  1955- one of last built.
had to spend some time today as filters were waxed and dirty and killed the other day . changed both filters out and had lot of junk in them , pushed snow for about 3 hours and now must have bad filters again as lost fuel pressure, still runs but low power runs about 50 PSI when everything is right. So new filters again tomorrow. using a 10 micron filter off pump and figure it must have crudded up.  As i changed primary over to spin on rather than cardrige when I was looking for filters today found old filters I used before I changed over to new setup, Fram C 3 ,  Have couple of those around but had to make up other filter from other filters I have.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 4:17am
Old fuel oil is bad for algae buildup, will turn black then the little buggers settle out to the bottom of the tank and choke filters like mad.  I have had to shop-vac tank bottoms to get the goo out enough to make one run that has set awhile.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 7:56pm
i am getting new filters for both my hd5's, i see one of them is the fram c-3, what is the other filter number and which one is the same as the oil filter?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2010 at 8:19pm
C-3 will work both on oil and on the lube, you might have to add a large washer on top and bottom of filter so they set or seal better. ( think just top ) Think the C 3 was for older Plymouth straight 6 flat head also. 
 I made up a aluminum plate and mounted PH8A spin on filters on it . Used a 3/4" bolt as threaded rod which i drilled for outlet to filter, in base of plate i put fitting to attach line from supply . Using same filter for both so have 2 PH8A  filter mounted sid by side on plate.
 The little spun cotton string filter that is beneath muffler is hard to find now but some older Oil Burners used it as well as some Chiller units use it as a oil filter.  I had some AMF Cuno or FACET water filters that are a polyester filter. I cut one 10 micron filter down to size to fit that can . Believe like 4 3/4 " long and it works good .
 Found my loss of fuel pressure was one filter plugged up with rusty slop from tank bottom so now need to remove the 20 gal of fuel in tank and clean it and filter the fuel befor putting it back into machine.

If you were close I would give you those C 3's I have cause i doubt i will use them again.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 30 Dec 2010 at 8:28pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 7:45pm
i never gave it much thought to use an oil filter for the fuel but it must work. i wonder if a primary filter under the muffler would work like you put the ph8a in place of the secondary. thanks for the offer on the filters.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2010 at 8:12pm
Was just looking at those Fram C 3's I have and they have a rubber seal on the filter can tube so they don't need that washer. Metal can over filter element.
  For that onther filter I used that other filter material .. Will post some pictures I took today later.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic