This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Big Al" truck engines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Big Al" truck engines
    Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:55pm
Ok, sorry for bringing this old topic up, but I must know more!  I am super intrigued by the rarity of Big Al engines, and I would love to see/hear one in person, or if not possible, at least on youtube.
Sponsored Links

redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 8:09am
Sharp looking cabover. I think we might be a little late for their show, though.

Edited by redline - 16 Dec 2010 at 11:43am
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2010 at 12:01am
i talked to a friend this morning (he has a ac/fiat-allis construction salvage yard in mi.)he told me a story,that he got a call from a guy who drove a cab over pete with a big al for allis chalmers.after the plant closed,he bought the truck from the co.he said he never had a crank failure(other drivers did)because he always drove the truck between 1400-2100rpm.the truck had over a million miles.when the engine got tired he would take it to allis,put innew sleeve packs and bearings and head back out on the road.when he hit the mountains out west alot of guys would try to pass him-but few ever did.anyway he wanted a allis guy to buy the truck,and my friend at the time was'nt interested.my friend told me he still might have the guys info written down in his notes(10-15 years ago).i told him to see if he still had the guys contact info.i am relitivlely sure the truck is gone,but it sure would be neat to talk to the guy.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 9:06pm
Detroit Diesels were always called Michigan Road Oilers.And some called them Power Converters they converted power to noise.The selling point on the 92 series Detroit Diesel was 92 fewer oil leaks!As for the Allis truck motor what killed them was no Dealers.Most any Metropolitan area had Cummins or Detroit or even Cat.For the Allis motor you had to find a Allis Industrial Dealer because the Farm Equipment Dealers did not handle anything close to the truck motor until the 8550 tractor was built.
armandjones82 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armandjones82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 7:15pm
I think that reading this thread with regards to "Big Al" truck engines, I think that things are really much better these days by reading about it here or in other sources as well. In this way, i've got to learn a lot of things in order to compensate stuffs. Hope all is well by now.

Edited by armandjones82 - 17 Dec 2010 at 11:20pm
427435 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 427435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by DonDittmar DonDittmar wrote:

Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

I would assume that a 21000 or 25000 engine would bolt into a 4W305 making a 450 hp super tractor. I'll get some serial numbers.
Should, or better yet bolt a 25000 crank into the 4W305. The engine in the 4W305 was based on the 844CID 25000 engine, only with a shorter stroke to give 731CID

You would also likely need new pistons or rods or both.  You would also need to slow the engine speed down to keep the piston speed reasonable.
Mark

B10 Allis, 917 Allis, 7116 Simplicity, 7790 Simplicity Diesel,
GTH-L Simplicity

Ignorance is curable-----stupidity is not.
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2010 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Calvin Schmidt Calvin Schmidt wrote:

I would assume that a 21000 or 25000 engine would bolt into a 4W305 making a 450 hp super tractor. I'll get some serial numbers.
Should, or better yet bolt a 25000 crank into the 4W305. The engine in the 4W305 was based on the 844CID 25000 engine, only with a shorter stroke to give 731CID
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2010 at 10:18pm
the original detroit 12v71 truck engines were rated at 385hp.as the early 70's progressed the hp increased to 456hp.the turboed 12v's did not apear until about 1973.alot of truck manufactures did not offer the turboed versian at the time (525hp)the cummins kt450 did not come on to the seen until 74-75.the diamond-reo literature i have doesn't show the kt option until the raider series truck came out in 74-75.that is also true for the detroit 8v92t(430hp)none of the above engines could get the fuel mileage as the big al (450hp) .338lbs/per hp hour.i have  12v71tt,8v92ta,cat3408ta,none of thes engines can get over 4 miles per gallon.you might be able get 5,but you would have to have a light foot.big al supposed to get 6+,we will soon test to see if that is true!
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by jmm jmm wrote:

er... wasn't the 1693 cat available at 425 hp?  Hauled logs with one, turned up... lotsa power, but I still would go to the bank on a 350 cummins from that era any day.

Yes, there were some 425hp 1693, which was very conservative.  They were aftercooled unlike the lower hp 1693's.  I have seen several places state that it was 425 to the wheels which means 500+ at the crank. 

Of course in 74 Detroit released their 8V92 which could be a beast  turbocharged
There were some trucks with 12v71s

Also somewhere in there Cummins introduced the KTA 1150 with ~600hp.  Don't know the exact year there. 

jmm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:57am
jmm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Kcgrain Kcgrain wrote:

To 427435, allis didnt build that engine for the class 8 truck market, the engine was being built for the HD 21 dozers, large scrapers, gen sets, wheel loaders, pumps , rock crushers etc, the truck market was just another venue for that engine, I have talked to some drivers that drove  these beasts, and they said thats Allis Gaurantee of the legal speed limit in all states was 100% accurate they had power to burn, and would blow any cat , cummins ,or detroit right off the road. To be fair though the "big AL" was 450 hp detroit was building 318V8, cummins had a hard time making 350 hold together and Cat was holding 300...barely. The flaw in the truck market for Allis CHlamers wasnt design, HP or reliability, it was a lack of engine support out in the country. Every little town had a cummins or detroit dealer, cat had service shops all over Allis Chlamers  had few if any. SO if your BIG AL engine needed service or parts you were screwed. Mack had the same problem untill recently west of the Mississippi, few Mack dealers to service the trucks or engines west of the Mississippi, and Mack was known more for voactional trucks, not class 8. Mack with Volvos help has over come that and Allis Chalmers didnt remain in the truck engine market long enough to over come it.
er... wasn't the 1693 cat available at 425 hp?  Hauled logs with one, turned up... lotsa power, but I still would go to the bank on a 350 cummins from that era any day.
H Clark View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote H Clark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2010 at 10:24am

Found this on e-bay and remembered seeing this topic on here so I thought that I would share.

DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

I know of a 72 Freightshaker  with a BIG AL still in the truck , also a 74  Dodge Bighorn with one in just sitting , guy SAYS  he dont want to sell them of coarse , BUT  every now and then he calls wondering if I,m still interested ;and of coarse I am ; but he wants to dam much !!!! we are in the negociations stage ; hopefully it,ll work out one of these days
According to the article, there was ONE Dodge Bighorn built with the Big Al engine. So if that engine is was installed in that truck from the factory, then it is one of one.....very rare
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Bob(W-Md) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob(W-Md) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 7:22pm
Little Steve with Big Al
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:51pm
some 21000s-25000s used both robert bosch and american bosch
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 10:48pm
i think your refering to p pump like the ones on a cummins 5.9 (p7100)the one the big al are bosch ape with 12mm plungers.some on the lower horse use 11mm.you might be right, they look just like a p7100.
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:24am
Did they use the R/Bosch P pump?
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 7:00am
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:55pm
calvin-the 25000mark2 came out in 68,there was a number of improvements to these engines thru the years .the best engines with all the updates would be approx. 1975 up.serial #4700 &up.the 21000 is the same as 25000 except for the intercooler and fuel setting.serial #13500 and up on the 21000 would also have the same updates.the 6138 has the flange mounted injection pump,and piston cooling thru the rods instead of the nozzles on the bottom of the cyl.(21000-25000)if you have a engine give me the serial # and i can give you what you can do to improve it .also the 6120(8550-4w305) engine is a 6138 with a destroked crank ,so you can build a 6138 with a crank change and pistons.i would  have to look to see if if the connecting rods are the same length as the6138.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:45pm
Hey Jim, how are things going over East? Sorry I missed you at the GOTO. I got a few pictures of your 4r cult for the UC.
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:42pm
Got my copy of the magazine today. No Big Al's for sale in the back. Sorry.
JimIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:39pm
I also purchased a copy of the magazine today.  It was a very detailed well written story.  It reminded me of the Tucker 48 cars.  Many good ideas that were copied by everyone else after they went under.  But isnt that the way with everything?  One big example, look at tractor designs of all of the other brands after the 8000 series we discontinued.

Jim
1946WP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1946WP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:30pm
a friend of mine ( a truck Guy) was telling me about this AC engine the other nite. he wanted to know if I'd ever seen one. No I haven't. I thought the purple people eaters were the mn. vikings.
NICKMI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NICKMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:39am
Id just like to see a motor in an actual truck ive looked online and  cant come up with anything anybody have any pics of these monsters besides sales lit. ?
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:49am
This is just one  more of ALLIS CHALMERS big ,good ideas that they let fall through the cracks ; the owner of the trucks I know of said AC were really pushing Freightliner + KW  to market these and service these engines under AC contracts all over the US , BUT AC MOVED ON TO another good idea and it all fell slowly  apart ????? Way to go AC !! Like Walt B. said many times - once again ALLIS struck faliure at the brink of success !!!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:27am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 8:25am
I know of a 72 Freightshaker  with a BIG AL still in the truck , also a 74  Dodge Bighorn with one in just sitting , guy SAYS  he dont want to sell them of coarse , BUT  every now and then he calls wondering if I,m still interested ;and of coarse I am ; but he wants to dam much !!!! we are in the negociations stage ; hopefully it,ll work out one of these days
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 6:42am
Would a 25000 MKII engine have the same updates as the 6138?
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 11:08pm
You did well big al.Glad there is at least one left.May have to come to South Bend.
big al View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote big al Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:16pm
i just picked up the wheels of time magazine,for the big al piece.i have all the service bullitens from harvey on the truck engines.they did change the crank a couple of times to correct the crank breakage issue.ac eventually went to a 6 counterweight crank from 12 to lighten the recipricating mass of the crank. also they wanted to keep the nose of crank in compression. the 6138 has all the updates.ihave a 6138ti that came out of a fire truck.i am planning to put in a 72 pete for the aths show in the end of may(south bend,indiana).ac had special chrome/purple emblems that went on the side of the hood .ihave these emblems and a vest that has "big al" logo for promotion.any questions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic