This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kohler 23CVS Dipstick ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kohler 23CVS Dipstick ?
    Posted: 07 May 2024 at 2:24pm
To begin, I just now confirmed something I had suspected about these screw-on dipsticks for years but had never before had confirmed:

You DO NOT screw down the cap to read the oil level.

You rest the unscrewed cap on top of the tube to obtain accurate reading.

I didn't ride in on no load of pumpkins and I am just now having my suspicions about this confirmed.

I haven't yet measured the difference --- it is right now coming a monsoon or else I would be out there with my machinists ruler --- but, by screwing down the cap when checking, one is always about half- to 3/4-inch LOW on oil when it reads FULL.

One would think this information would be in big red letters posted all over the place and on the front and back of your favorite breakfast cereal.

Now, that bit aside, regarding a 23hp Kohler 23CVS V-Twin vertical crankshaft engine of 2006 vintage --- I have both the Owner's Manual and the Shop Service Manual right here in front of me --- how many ounces of oil are represented between Full and Add on the dipstick ?

How many between just barely touching the stick and FULL ?(with the stick screwed down)

Total capacity is stated to be two quarts.

There are several old GOOD trucks sitting out here, Chevrolet, Ford, and Dodge; and, every one of them says Add One Quart right on the dipstick; the diesels say Add Two Quarts; we have taken this useful information for granted for years and now manufacturers think we don't have enough sense to utilize such information.

There is no reference to Communist measurements, sending me looking for Metric/American conversion tables; just plain old "Quart" --- there's four of them in a Gallon.

Several of the older small engines around here say Add 8-Ounces; quite handy to know; that's a cup; half-a-pint; measure a cup and pour it in there --- no guesswork.

If no one knows this information about the Kohler, I will decipher it myself once my new oil gets here and it quits pouring the rain --- the 8-day doesn't look very promising = more of what we have had the last five.

I was mowing up a storm the other day and the dipstick unscrewed itself and jumped up out of the hole and splattered oil all over the back of the seat, probably the back of my head, and all over the engine --- I had that thing what I thought was snug enough --- I'll use a monkey-wrench or my Stilson or Channel-Locks on it from now on --- fool me once...

I will put a collar around the tube with a safety loop over the cap so it can't unscrew nor jump up.

I had no clue this was going on; had I not stopped to check the fuel level, it probably would have cost me the engine.

Okay --- curiosity got the better of me and I ran out there between lightning flashes and did some measuring.

From the bottom edge of the cap to where it seats on the tube when screwed down = 3/4"

The cross-hatched area between FULL and ADD = 5/8"

From the bottom tip of the stick to FULL = 1-inch

Thus, between ADD and the tip =3/8"

So, if one is checking with the cap screwed down instead of sitting on top of the tube, FULL is actually 1/8-inch BELOW ADD and we have been running around low on oil all the time, contentedly assuming we were FULL.

Now, back to my question --- how many ounces between ADD and FULL on the Kohler 23CVS dipstick ?
Sponsored Links

Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 2:57pm
Thanks for the insight, I have often second guessed myself wether I was supposed to check oil level on my mower with Kohler engine with stick screwed in or not, fortunately I have been running on a prayer since I figured screw it in and check from there. Who knows where the book is or reads instructions. Guess that's how they sell more engines and would get around warranty claims. Thanks for the education. Guess I'll go add more oil now so when it dries up here I can knock the grass back again.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 3:37pm
Odd, today I checked the oil on the Kohler EFI 28 hp, that is on the old Dixie chopper I use to mow around here (not commercially).  Musta forgot to put the dipstick back in, 20 mins later I had the wet arm rest and back half of the machine as about 2-2 1/2 pints of oil slobbered its way outa that hole, same as you experienced. Dipstick ended up where it most always lands, down by the hyd pump... Wiped it off, filled it up, kept mowing.  It never got critical low on the stick, so I think the bearings will be OK!  U knew about the check the stick with the cap loose, its in the manual.  New Kohler 33 EFI has a different set up, it is a push in with an o-ring...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 4:57am
Yeah, there's clearly a problem of perspective from the person responsible for that design.

The proper way to handle things like this, is to have a sensible person audit preproduction items for operation and maintenance BEFORE they go to the assembly line, so that 'fit and finish' issues, particularly those in 'ease of maintenance' get handled well.  Kohler did NOT manage this one.  For what it's worth, my ZTR's Command twenty-something has a goofy dipstick setup too... off the top of my head, I don't recall exactly how it is, but it's less than intelligent.

Soichiro Honda's key driver of product design quality and performance, was his wife.  When he developed his first motorbike engine system, he put it on her bicycle, to help her with her run to the market and back, and each time she came back, she pointed out everything that wasn't appealing.  That was his basis for product improvement, and he continued doing that for his motorcycles, and I suspect most of his cars.

A friend of mine was an engineer at Segway, they used a similar philosophy in the development of their first products...

If EVERY manufacturer did this, products everywhere would perform better, be easier to use, harder to break, and easier to maintain... but they don't, so they aren't.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 6:07am
Gee Dave, one day your head will explode with all the neat knowledge you have, and the World will be in for a huge loss !!

My hunch about 'quality products' is that IF they built them..it'd be a 'one run and done' deal. Take car exhaust system. IF it was 100% SS front to back, it'd NEVER need to be replaced.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2024 at 7:26pm
Drain the oil and refill. Run it a bit and let sit. Mark it whatever way you choose and forget it. Bit more or a bit less does not matter!!!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2024 at 2:22pm
2 qt in my 25hp command sets level at about 3/16 over full mark screwed in. If it gets down to add on "marks" I put in 16oz and it puts it at FULL screwed in. Has made it over 1000 hrs doing this so will continue. Takes close to 100 hrs to get to add and we don't usually get there in a season.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2024 at 12:11am
Finally quit pouring rain long enough to get back to this.

I used two levels and some hydraulic bottle jacks to get the frame dead-level in both planes.

I incrementally sneaked up on the bottom of the "SAFE" zone.

Then, I incrementally sneaked up on the top of the "SAFE" zone = Full.

Sitting dead-level, I measured 14-ounces from bottom of Safe to top.

So, on my machine at least, the Safe zone represents 14-ounces of oil.

Thanks for everyone's input and responses.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic