This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine Oil SAE Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine Oil SAE Question
    Posted: 07 May 2024 at 11:01pm
I typically run 10W-30 oil in the car and pickup which are gasoline powered. SAE 30, or SAE 40 in the two stroke Detroit engines, and 15W-40 in the four stroke diesels.

Engine is original in my 1957 B-61 Mack and for years I ran SAE 20 in the winter, and SAE 30 in the warmer months changing the first week of October, and April each year. This was staying on the original owner's scheduled maintenance routines as it worked and I don't change what works very often. 

Engine has never been apart except a water pump, rocker cover gaskets, and oil sump screen gasket since new.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 10:36pm
All my air cooled engines get 30wt oil, ‘for gasoline engines’. The lawn mower, roto-tiller, and the onboard generator of the motor home all get 30wt.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 7:31pm
I have been using multi weight oils in just about everything  , been getting CITGO oils and have couple cases of 20/50 - racing oil I use in all my motorcycles , 10/30 in lawn and garden , and in truck 10/30 now . 
 In tractors I have been using Fleet Farm - Farm Rated - Diesel Oil 
Most of the FF oils are packed by CITGO 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:40pm
As long as all the oils are made by the same company and in the same CATAGORY (VR1) then i would assume they have very similar "addatives"... So i would agree with your theory that mixing 30wt and 50 wt would give you 40 wt oil...

I question why you use a straight weight oil in any engine.. and why such an expensive oil  for  what you call "small" engines ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 12:10pm
I just found my favored small engine oil, Valvoline VR1 SAE-40, for a ridiculously low price of $38.20/6-qt-case; that's Dollar Store oil price around here.

They also had the same oil in SAE-50 for $38.27.

SAE-30, while still plenty bargain, was $59.11, making it cheaper than any of the other SAE-30 oils and VR1 no doubt the best regardless of price.

Of course, I hit Buy Now on the SAE-40 and got it on the way.

Then my ever-puzzling mind got in gear.

Let's say the situation had been reversed a little bit.

Let's say the SAE-40 and SAE-30 prices had been reversed, with SAE-30 and SAE-50 being $38 for six and SAE-40 being $60 for six.

My mind says, in that situation, for me to end up with the SAE-40 at the $38 price, I would just order a case of SAE-30 and a case of SAE-50 and mix them half-and-half to achieve my desired weight of SAE-40.

Same oil with same additives, SAE-30 mixed with SAE-50 should end up with the equivalent of SAE-40 ----- RIGHT ?

Actually, by getting a case of SAE-30 and SAE-50 and mixing them to achieve SAE-40; I would also have the option of SAE-30 or SAE-50 should either be required, with the added benefit of mixing them to achieve SAE-40.

RIGHT ?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic