This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A/C Lacross Steel Wheeled Plows

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A/C Lacross Steel Wheeled Plows
    Posted: 12 May 2024 at 9:36pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2024 at 6:39pm
I have a book that has all these plows in ,Its for sale 

Edited by Fred in Pa - 12 May 2024 at 7:12pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 2:33pm
The 4 and 5 bottom plows we pulled both belonged to Norm Mienert. As I remember the 4 bottom was a base 3 with add-on and the 5 was a base 4 with an add on. No matter if pulling a 2,3,4 or 5 the A tractor is in the furrow and the drawbar should be kept straight on the tractor. Thus the plow hitch remains the same in relationship to the furrow wheel on the tractor. If the wheel tread can be adjusted then the tractor centerline can be moved to accommodate pulling the plow book perfectly. Unless the hitching is off by a country mile the landside condition hasmore to do with keeping the plow straight than the hitch does.

Edited by Butch(OH) - 08 May 2024 at 2:34pm
housemover View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 1:14pm
Butch,   Your post about the different bases on the 4 bottom intrigued me because all the 3 bottom plows that 've seen in KS & NE seem to have a 3rd bottom add on to the 2 bottom plow already!  Also would the hitch not have to be moved to the right (facing plow) in order for the plow to pull straight?  Your input, experience, & opinion are appreciated. Also I had wondered about the A pulling the #2 4 bottom and glad to know that fact. Any pictures of either base model with the A?  I'm waiting to put pictures up until all plows are painted & once I've got a 4 bottom to go with them I'm going to take them to some midwest shows.  Thanks Housemover
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 12:53pm
Ted,  Do you have any 4 or 5 bottom pictures, literature, etc. I appreciate your family history there at LA Cross Plow.  Most old timers around North Central KS thought that they were equal or better than the early John Deere plows.  By the 1950's though Case seemed to be the one in the lead spot on the Kansas prairies.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:30am
Originally posted by housemover housemover wrote:

Mike,    I've been told by a couple old timers that most of them are out west and were pulled by crawler type tractors.

That makes sense.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 6:56am
There are two variants of the 4 bottom number 2 plow, base 3 with a fourth add-on and a base 4. I have seen and pulled both types with our A. There were earlier versions before the A-C buyout, as I remember a model 54??
There are a few around but seldom for sale. I know of a 5 bottom also.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 2:19am
Leon, you are correct about being out west with most of them.
By the way, it is spelled La Crosse.  My Grampa worked there and I still live here.  LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 10:15am
Mike,    I've been told by a couple old timers that most of them are out west and were pulled by crawler type tractors.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:01am
I'm going to bet those are a pretty rare animal. Not a lot of tractors with enough oomph to pull 4 bottoms in the steel wheel days!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 6:12am
Pictures would be nice!

By the way, your first date must have been pretty boring...
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote housemover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:03am
Just finished restoration of my #314 steel wheeled A/C Lacross Plow.  It was almost as much fun as my 1st date!  With a #116 & a #214 to complement it I'm now turning my attention to the 4-bottom model.  I know they were offered but have never seen one.  Does anyone have any knowledge of them or even a good set of pictures? I know that I may have to drive a spell to get (or even look) at one.  My other 3 plows in this set are all steel wheeled. Hope to start taking them to shows in KS, NE, & MO sometime soon!  I think I have a doner plow for the wheels if I need to convert one back.    Thanks,  Housemover
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic