This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OEM 8 Volt Power Unit?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OEM 8 Volt Power Unit?
    Posted: 05 May 2024 at 10:12pm
While perusing my digital copy of the parts catalog that covers the WD/45 and W226 Power Unit I noticed on Page 164 & 165 that the battery is specified as 8 Volt 15 Plate. This is for W226 Power Unit Eff. W/PU S/N 96714. The earlier units specified a 6 Volt battery, and all of the gasoline tractors also specified 6 Volts.

The 8 Volt Power unit calls out a different starter than the earlier 6 Volt units, but the generator and regulator part numbers are the same on both 6 Volt and 8 Volt models.

Apparently Allis-Chalmers saw a need for some reason.
Sponsored Links

Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 5:33am
Used to be, (and still are) a few A-C pumps around here in livestock and berry/orchard operations running 8VDC batteries. I asked once years ago why the 8VDC instead of 12VDC and was told for additional starting power in cold weather operation without modifications. Conversation never went further than that.

With modern battery technology as it is today, the 8VDC starting battery is antiquated; just as is the s/p starting system on heavy trucks.

Edited by Codger - 06 May 2024 at 6:22am
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
SteveMaskey(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveMaskey(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 6:06am

Used to run 8 volt batterys in all of the WC, WD and 45 tractors for better starting in cold weather and because when overhauled always put M&W high compression 1/8 over piston sleeve sets

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 6:06am
There was an old local mechanic (that died many years ago) that was a big advocate of replacing 6-volt batteries with 8-volt, when the battery needed replacing. As a result, there were a lot of older tractors (and I assume cars, but I really don't remember much about 6 volt cars).

His reasoning was that the 8-volt battery would fit in the same battery box and provided a little better starting, with no other alterations.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 6:45am
Today's sealed beam headlights used in cars are not very tolerant of a voltage regulator set correctly near at 9volts for a 8volt battery. The replaceable bulbs used in tractors are a little more so. The old hi/low switch will charge a 8volt battery reasonably OK however using a voltage regulator and adjusting it to get a charging voltage of near to 8.75-9 volts is much better.  Just my observations from experience. I have used 8volt batteries for decades in older 6 volt things. I currently have 2 tractors with 8volt batteries and 1 old truck, which doesn't get driven after dark.. My old car I switched over to 12 volts after losing a bunch of headlights with the regulator set for 8.75volts.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 9:27am
I simply found it a bit amusing when I noticed that 8 Volt specification and thought about how when anyone on this forum suggests using an 8 Volt battery there is a wailing and gnashing of teeth about the foolishness and near-blasphemy of desecrating our noble Allis-Chalmers tractors in such an uncouth manner Tongue

Edited by Les Kerf - 06 May 2024 at 9:27am
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 5:09pm
I remember my grandfather doing some 8V batt installs and 12V conversions @ his home shop. He was mechanic/shop foreman @ an AC Dlr from late 1930's until 1970 when he retired. He worked from his home shop after retiring, but only on "friends' "  equipment. 
 Using an 8 volt battery in WD & WD45, IHC M & other tractors that were used in winter was common here until early 70's. It was a low-cost method to get more cranking power for on those cold Iowa mornings & they needed to grind feed. I remember some of the regulators needed a little adjustment some didn't. 
When alternators got popular then it was all 6V pos to 12V neg conversions. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic