This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Vulcan welder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
CrystleLowe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrystleLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vulcan welder
    Posted: 16 May 2024 at 2:42am
Thanks for the advice, I will keep it in my mind.
Sponsored Links

truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 8:36pm
Don't have the shop space and need portability. Would like to pick up a large used welder, but around here they want $1000 for one that needs work.
Not needing stick welding ability. Haven't fired up my stick welder in years.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2024 at 7:54am
One should ALWAYS be concerned about duty cycle... because when you aren't, that's when you'll overheat the machine, either it's internal components, or the hardware (torch, gun, electrode holder, etc.).  Duty cycle is the 'true' rating element of a welder, the litmus test of it's functional strength.  If you're tacking together light steel at 90A on a machine that's advertised as 120A at 60% Duty Cycle, you'll find yourself waiting more than working... because that duty cycle curve will STILL have you well below 100.  IF it's aluminum you want to weld, you'll need considerably more power on tap, and when you're in the middle of a beautiful bead and the torch starts to overheat, you have to bail and wait.

The challenge of multiprocess machines, is that there's some that do a good job at switching between process types, but most don't.  If you have very little shop space, and very little welding to do, a multiprocess will do the job, you'll just need to reconfigure it each time you change modes.  Going to stick welding from any mode is no big deal, so long as you're not carrying it around, leaving the spoolgun or feeder and gun attached, or the TIG torch, cooler, etc., all set up... but making it portable means you've got lots of fussing to do... and that's why most shop TIGs are relatively stationary.

If you're not needing portable, there's lots of other ways to get a good result... and they all point to getting a serious surplus industrial machine.  I have two TIG machines... one is a Miller 330AB/P, the other a Lincoln IdealArc TIG 300, they're both big and beastly, but have serious ratings.  Frequently, these machines turn up on auctions and company sales, and while they DO age and wear, they clean up and recondition easily... and I got both of mine for less than $400 each... including all the accessories (torch, hoses, cooler, foot pedal, etc). which frequently cost as much as a whole new 'big-box' machine.

The GOOD part about old-school TIG machines, is that IF they do AC AND DC, then they're generally always single-phase, as it uses the line frequency to provide AC.

That said... read the fine print- if the welder is DC output only, then you won't be welding aluminum... you need AC imbalance to help clean the weld.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
fjdrill View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fjdrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 8:31am
Do yourself a favor and stay with Lincoln. Parts/service can be a problem later. Have run a SquareWave 175 for around 20 years. Really needed a larger machine for Aluminum but mine gets the job done. Quality foot petals and torches are affordable aftermarket. Started out with a new Miller 185 worked good for a week then stayed in shop for 5 months. They were unable/or didn't want to spend $ to repair it. After that and an 8 month backorder for their plastic range selector for a Bobcat 250nt (there are literally millions of these in service) I'm done with Miller  
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 6:49am
I've not used one myself but know of two parties that have purchased the brand. No problems I've heard of but neither are any kind of production shops, only self repair type(s) like many of us.

I know two other parties including some in family that have purchased the "Titanium" brand they offer and have had very good service from them. However both of those are too small for what's asked of them and are kicking out of duty cycle which is not a fault of the machine.

FWIW.
A career built on repairing and improving engineering design deficiencies, shortcomings, and failures over 50 years now.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 5:52am
I have been kicking around the idea of getting the Vulcan Omnipro 220 industrial multiprocess welders from Harbor Freight. I'm not doing production work, just repairs so duty cycle is not an issue. I already have a Lincoln 165 MIG welder that has treated me well. Just looking for something bigger. Also looking at learning TIG. Can't justify a dedicated TIG machine for the little it would get used.
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with one of these.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic