This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where to start with a 1961 D17

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start with a 1961 D17
    Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 12:27pm
Hello, I recently found out that I'll be inheriting my late grandfathers 1961 D17 Series II with a front loader. Its been sitting in an equipment shed for the past 3 years untouched. The front tires are dry rotted and sitting on rims right now. I'm excited to own something he used on his farm for many years and overtime do a full restore. The catch is I've never operated much less owned a tractor and I'm not sure where to start with getting the D17 in a reliable running state or where to begin in identifying issues that need fixed.
I've purchased the Haynes Manual for the tractor and I have fair mechanical knowledge and tools at my disposal to tackle this project.
All that being said
1. Are there any other good knowledge resources or youtube videos/series that could be recommended?
2.  Aside from the obvious replacement of front tires where would y'all start to get the D17 running again after sitting for several years, and is there a published list of regular maintenance items for the tractor?
Thanks in advance

Additional info and images
Serial: D17 35728
Engine: 4 cylinder gas

---

---

Edited by mo_guy - 01 May 2024 at 7:36am
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:13pm
Most people would start by cleaning the carburetor and distributor, changing the engine oil and getting the engine started. Once the engine is running , you can test the clutch, shift gears listen for noise, notice leaks, test the hydraulics, etc.... If no major problems, then get a couple tires so you can runa little and test the transmission and final drive.. You normally fix all leaks and problems prior to spending big bucks on repairs and then painting..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:18pm
Welcome to the forum Nate. Lots of knowledgeable guys on here. Good luck!
GSTROM99 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GSTROM99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:26pm
Welcome.  Yes, as Steve said.  Lots of sources of info here, uTube and all over the 'net. If it's in original paint, and not TOO bad - I'd NOT worry about painting it.  I like 'em "in their work clothes".   Real owners and repair manuals (better than Haynes) are a good thing to have too.  

Edited by GSTROM99 - 29 Apr 2024 at 1:28pm
mo_guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:38pm
thanks for the link to the owners manual
mo_guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 1:49pm
Thanks for the advice, the tractor is about 1.5hr away from me right now, hope to bring it down to my property this weekend and have a proper place to start working on it. 
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:02pm
mo_guy, welcome to the AC forum & congratulations on becoming an owner of one of AC's prominent tractors ~ D17 series II. Where to find info about it? Right here on the AC forum. Lots of experienced folks here. 
1. Start by hooking up battery charger for a minimum of 2 hr battery charging, 
2. Check engine oil for any condensation by slowly opening engine oil pan drain plug to allow any h20 to seep out? Don't remove plug entirely. If no h20 & just black oil, good.
3. top off fluids(coolant 50/50 mix, engine oil 30wt, hydraulic oil universal hydraulic fluid AGCO 821 approved), 
4. check/clean air filter/ oil bath? for bird nest debris, 
5. clean out fuel line/filter/carb bowl, 
6. remove spark plugs & rotate engine to ramp up engine oil pressure & prelude bearings before start up load.
7. reinstall spark plugs, check distributor, wires, & "flick with a pocket knife" to clean towers/rotor/points.
8. add a few gallons of fresh gasoline.
9. put transmission into neutral.
10 give throttle a bump, turn its key, & as soon as gas fills carb, that tractor should fire right up? 
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:23pm
I'm sure you'll need to use the choke to get it started cold.
mo_guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 8:33pm
Thank you, this is exceptionally helpful. I hope to have the tractor on my property this weekend. I'll be sure to update this thread with any successes or failures.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 10:40am
Welcome mo guy. I am not a AC wheel tractor guy, as this was/is crawler country over here on the left coast mountains. But know there are some fetchers other colors don't have. They are also serial number specific, so the people in the know need your specific information. Then get the right operators and service manuals for serial number group you have. After reading the book, ask any question and there are many that can walk you thru most any repair.

Then burn the Haynes book. Well if it is no more help than the automotive books I have read from them anyway get rid of it. Some of the reprint manuals like Jensales are Ok. If the copy machine was not smearing ink all over, and no originals for sale and you need one now. But originals from places like ebay or book dealers at tractor show are the best.    
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 11:48am
I agree that the AC manuals are better, but I wouldn't say burn the Haynes book. Occasionally, I have found a few things in my IT manual, that were better than the AC books. 

The first thing I would be concerned about is if the engine turns over. If it does, I would probably do a compression check next (fully charged battery with a battery charger hooked to it, all spark plugs removed, hose to air cleaner removed and wide-open throttle) per DrAllis recommendation. This will tell you a lot about what is going on in the engine.

AC7060IL has given you a good place to start after a compression test.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 11:57am
mo_guy

Lots of excellent advice above

If your D17 is fitted with the original Generator/Voltage Regulator charging system, I would add remove cover of voltage regulator and clean the points/contacts with some emery paper or very fine grit sandpaper.  Over time, and no operation, the surfaces can oxidize.  

My tractors are dormant over the winter months, and this issue surfaces periodically in the spring.  Usually this will improve the charging operation

I had one event where the points remained closed - very bad for the Generator

Good luck with your startup and restoration project

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2024 at 8:32pm
Is it a gas or diesel D17? Or did I miss something?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 5:03am
Welcome to the forum!!

As has been said..........
Put it into neutral, pull the plugs and try and turn it over WITH a hand crank or pressure on the radiator belt and turning it by hand.  Last resort should be with the battery.  You just need to move it a little bit.  This is to find out if the engine is free or locked up.  Once you ascertain that, it's all easy-peasy.
Go back up to AC7060IL's list and follow along.

You'll find a list of regular maintenance to-do in the owners manual.  It is listed by hours, days, months, etc.  It's a BIG help.  But then, so are the guys on here!!!!

As you go along fixing things, take LOTS of pictures!!!  You'll probably need them to put things back together.  Don't ask how I know that one......

It would help if we could know if it's gas or diesel.
What the serial number is?  It's on the Front of the Torque Housing on the Left Side.
Does it have a genny or an alternator?

Bout all I can think of right now, so good luck and again, WELCOME to the best thing on the internet!

Oh yeah, where in Missouri?  You might be close to someone who would be more than happy to come help  you out occasionally.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
mo_guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 7:29am
Appears to be 4 cylinder gas, I'll be up at the farm this weekend to bring it home and will have more pictures and easy access to answer questions. 
mo_guy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mo_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 7:30am
The serial number is "D17 35728" which should put it between '61-'62 Series II. Base on the engine block it appears to be 4 cylinder gas and I don't recall seeing an alternator on it. I plan on bringing it down to my property this weekend, will have easy access to answer any questions then.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 11:33am
I will apologies for saying burn a Haynes manual, as I have never seen one for a tractor.

The ones for automotive are WORTHLESS. I cannot say for sure what I was doing, but most likely changing a hydraulic valve lifter in a Dodge Dakota pickup. I don't claim to be a mechanic, but when you have no money and don't want to walk. As well as friends that are much better mechanics. Got the bad lifter out without pulling the head, but need the specs to adjust the valves. The book says, TAKE IT TO QUALIFIED MECHANIC. If the book doesn't have the specs why have it. 

The Wink guy doing a You Tube on how to change a water pump that starts by saying this is the second time I am doing this job, Confused as I did it wrong the last time was more to help than a book with no specs. He did end confirming the fan threads were left handed. So was not a complete waste.Big smile SORRY again rant over.

Since this is a family tractor, hopefully the whole experience is a happy one mo-guy. And may it stay running for several more generations of your family.
Leadoff View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Leadoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 2:16pm
mo_guy

Thanks for pics update.  Wow, you have yourself a great looking tractor.  Rear rubber looks new, fenders and sheet metal looks very well maintained

The advice above and some TLC and you will be on your way

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your progress

1963 D17D Series III. 1965 D15 Series II. 1965 D17 Series IV. 1975 185. 1978 716H. 1979 716H. 1965 780 Harvester/1R&DC. 1957 Model 73 SC 4 Furrow Plow
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2024 at 2:50pm
I agree, nice tractor. The traction booster gauge is even legible. My D 15 is also a 1961 year model. Good luck!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic