This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers wd45 hand clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:36pm
Ok.
I thought that meant I needed the board on top of the jack. That's on me for miss understanding what I was told sorry
Sponsored Links

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

... You need a floor jack on a wide plank or heavy plywood under the snap coupler bell...
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:16pm
Ok
Thanks.
How do I use a floor jack to roll the rear end when I am splitting the tractor on grass and dirt. The jack doesn't rock very well
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:09pm
Get your bottle jack under the pto well placed so it cant kick out. You need a floor jack on a wide plank or heavy plywood under the snap coupler bell. YOU HAVE TO SUPPORT BOTH ENDS!!! When they are jacked evenly the rear half will roll away with the floor jack. You have to remove the brass shifting collar to get the clutch out. Use a long punch stuck it the clutch at the bolts to loosen bolts. You can take them out of clutch later being loose. The shaft going through the clutch has to be totally withdrawn to pull clutch out the top. That 10 inch split ballpark. The clutch shaft likes to stay in the clutch not the transmission and it MUST stay in trans to have room to pull clutch.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:50pm
Ok
Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:48pm
ABSOLUTELY get an easily adjusted jack under the PTO box FIRST !!  I don't feel you NEED the two lower dowel bolts because they could be dragging causing you issues BUT you've got to support the PTO box area FIRST.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:42pm
So I should remove the 2 bolts I have on the bottom of the frame and put a floor jack under the PTO box
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 7:24pm
First, I have my doubts that you will be able to slide it apart without some sort of support on both ends. 

In the event you can use something to pry it apart, you are going to have close to two tons of tractor that are going to try to fold in the middle. YOU NEED TO HAVE SOMEONE THAT HAS SOME KIND OF EXPERIENCE SUPERVISING YOU. THIS CAN AND WILL HURT YOU (OR WORSE)!!!

Edited by WF owner - 05 May 2024 at 7:56pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:58pm
What you saw in the video is what is supporting it. I don't have any jack under it currently
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:40pm
hunter show a pic or a video of how you have the tractor supported right now. I've only ever split a B and I used a cherry picker on the front so I could move the front in and out. Had the rear on other supports. How are you moving yours?  Oh I won't trust the loader to much. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:26pm
DON'T USE HI-LIFT (HANDYMAN) JACKS!!! They are very unstable.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 6:00pm
Need a jack directly under the PTO box. The tractor is trying to fall down into a heap without a jack to support the PTO box and forward, UNLESS your loader is raised up ????? Tractor has to be split probably 10 inches wide. Use two long dowels on the top and none on the bottom. Transmission MUST be in NEUTRAL.

Edited by DrAllis - 05 May 2024 at 6:04pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 5:25pm
Going to try working on it tomorrow
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 4:35pm
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:44pm
Where do I need to put a jacket to split the tractor easier from what you saw in the video
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:42pm
How do I get the clutch shaft out so I can remove the hand clutch once I get it split enough. Also how do I unbolt the clutch without it spinning
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:28pm
Ok
So what would be causing me to not be able to split the tractor.
Is it just how I have the jacks or the ground
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 1:11pm
The clutch shaft can pull out of trans. Nothing holding it in place. The roller bearing inside will be fine unless cage is totally worn out then may fall apart. When going back together take that shaft and put it through hand clutch plates and into front pilot to get everything lined up then stick it back in trans. Lock foot clutch down so you can rotate hand clutch by hand while trying to slide trans back in place. Probably best to put trans in gear to hold shaft while turning hand clutch.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 12:47pm
Ok.
Could you see from the video what could be causing the tractor to not split any further.
Is the shaft that is holding the hand clutch supposed to come out
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 12:40pm
Have the hand clutch engaged/locked before you split the tractor to make it easier to roll it back together. The bent snap ring may be twisted back into shape (maybe) by using a bench vise. If that snap ring doesn't fit in the groove well, it may not stay put and you get to do this all over again. Lastly, the reason the original snap ring blew out of the groove may be because the groove is WORN, not being able to hold the snap ring well. Tack welding the ends of the snap ring to the groove would be a way to insure things stay in place and I don't give a rip about "welding" it making the two pieces unuseable. If the groove is worn out, welding the snap ring into the groove solves the problem. Make sure to vise grip the snap ring down tight into the groove before welding it.

hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:51am
I'll get a better video
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 11:07am
Both of the break rods are in hooked
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2024 at 9:20am
Some words of encouragement. You're doing something at 17 in the dirt. Some mechanics wouldn't do in a perfect garage. Just keep learning as you go, be safe, and try things.

I applaud you for splitting a tractor. Let alone as one of the first things you do and outside on the dirt!

Support it well. If it falls you certainly won't be able to pick it up, and if it falls on you, you really won't be able to put it back together.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 11:07pm
Hard to see everything. One brake rod unhooked it takes 2. Looks like a bottle jack under the back half. How do you roll it away on that? It's fixed and can't move. The front needs a jack too because you can't block it in the perfect position. Need to be able to vary the height. You may well be just in a bind from not being in line. Going back together is much trickier because it has to be nearly perfect alignment and the big redi rod doesn't align anything.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 8:02pm

https://photos.app.goo.gl/254VkWTPMokQPKwv5

Let me know if you guys can view this.
This is a video of what I have done

Edited by hunter321 - 04 May 2024 at 8:03pm
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by hunter321 hunter321 wrote:

I forgot to mention that the front end of the tractor can't move because I have a loader on it and the bucket is digging into the ground

If you are relying on the hydraulics to hold it it, for safety you still need to block the front portion of the tractor in case the hydraulics leak down.

I have split a similar size tractor on the dirt all by myself. I put a piece of plywood under the transmission area and used a floor jack to support the transmission, then rolled the rear half of the tractor back. The fun part was lining up the two-stage clutch and getting it all back together.

I had everything well blocked for safety.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 4:17pm
Click on the link I have posted. Click on the WD-45 section. There will be illustrated diagrams of the parts by section. Search through it. Also do a web search for WD-45 torque tube. lots of pics out there. Hope the link workshttps://parts.agcocorp.com/us/en/apbsearch/model
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 11:13am
I'll try the spools
What do I put the jack under. Is it right under the hand clutch housing. I need to know
How do I bend the snap ring in the right shape.
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:13am
I forgot to mention that the front end of the tractor can't move because I have a loader on it and the bucket is digging into the ground
hunter321 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunter321 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2024 at 10:05am
Could I support the frame with a spool on either side of the tractor and use a jack to support the bell housing
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic