This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

weekend plowing video

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: weekend plowing video
    Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 8:53am
Fifteen of us old guys got together to plow 40+ acres at the local historical farm site called the Brown Farm. My nephew charged the batteries on his drone and got some good video action.   "Red Barn Machine Works" is the internet site.
Sponsored Links

Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:58am
Beautiful pictures on a beautiful day. Nice soil you have there!
The green provides a nice contrast as well.
Dennis J OPKs View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis J OPKs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 10:09am
Great video, brings back memories.  Weights help keep the front end down.  Fun time had by all-nice soil conditions.
Acdiesel View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Acdiesel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:04am
D19 diesel,D17 diesel SER.3 D14 NF,D14 WF, D15 SER.II wf
D15 SER.2 DIESEL,D15 ser.II nf
D12 SER.I, D10 Ser.II
2-720'S

Gmc,caterpillar
I'm a pharmacist (farm assist) with a PHD (post hole digger)
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 12:07pm
PawPaw View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PawPaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 4:11pm
Wish they’d figure out how to capture the smell on video
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 4:34pm
Great video, but one thing I've kinda picked up on is that in most videos like plowing or hay mowing, the conditions are near perfect. Try plowing some 20 year old sod or shoulder high rye and then you can see what your plow can really do.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 4:46pm
Alfalfa sod doesn't bother me, as I've done it before without issues. But shoulder high grass might cause plugging problems on that vintage of plow.
MadCow View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadCow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 11:43pm
See a tractor do what it was made to do, and seeing it done so well, is really a treat. Slick as snot.

Great work and thanks for the video Doc!
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:18am
Absolutely a special treat to watch it done to perfection. I have great soils but none that I can say as plowable as this. Awesome vid Doc!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:28am
It just dawned on me Doc…where’s all the rocks like I have??
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:01am
Third gear, low range (fifth gear)?

Loaded tires? Why so much weight on the left tire, but none on the right?

Really nice job of plowing by all!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 6:39am
In that small area of the field (where we started) I ran low second, which is 3rd gear speed. There were a few rocks in the SE corner and that is why at one point I throttled back a lot because I could see the rocks in the furrow from the pass ahead of me. When I went to the bigger part of the field with much longer runs, I slipped it up into 4th gear speed (low third) which is nearly 5 mph.  Rear tires are half full of fluid as that's what they had in them when I got the tires. Land wheel got an extra 450 lbs on it as that is always the tire that will slip first. Furrow wheel seldom bothers if it is fit to plow. A couple extra 75 pounders on the nose for good measure. Total tractor weight just under 7K.  Traction Booster system with "feed-back" linkage (170-185 feature) works excellent. When I switch back to tractor ride configuration (15.5 x 38's dry and no front weights) it tips the scales at 5300-5400 lbs.

Edited by DrAllis - 17 Apr 2024 at 6:44am
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 5:31pm
Wow nice work!! Smile Wish I was there.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 10:50pm
Nice video DOC, obviously got the plow and tractor set up correctly. The overhead shots really show how well both are performing. I enjoy plowing, need to get my new to me 4 bottom set up for my 190XT. Finally bought some pie weights just need to get them cleaned up and painted. 
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
jvin248 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jvin248 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2024 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by Ky.Allis Ky.Allis wrote:

Great video, but one thing I've kinda picked up on is that in most videos like plowing or hay mowing, the conditions are near perfect. Try plowing some 20 year old sod or shoulder high rye and then you can see what your plow can really do.

You can improve your odds by running the brush hog through it first. Then drag the plow

Or, another way ... I have been working at planting into standing rye and when the corn emerges rolling the rye flat into a weed barrier/mulch. Sod needs the plow but after that cover crops and no till.

Plowing is hypnotic and takes me back fifty years.

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 4:10pm
My first experience moldboard plowing was in early May of 1966 when I was 12 years old. Dad had taken out a fence between two fields (one sod and the other corn stalks) and wanted to plow the whole thing as one 60 acre field. He also wanted to plow it going around the outside so there were no dead furrows. I drove our wide-front WD-45 and he drove my Uncle's WD-45 with a NF. Both tractors had 70 series 3 x 16's plows. Imagine going around a 60 acre field on the first day !! It didn't look like we did much of anything !! I can still fondly remember the sound of a Nelson mufflered "Power Crater" WD-45 working hard !! PRICELESS !!!

Edited by DrAllis - 21 Apr 2024 at 4:37pm
Gatz in NE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gatz in NE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 7:07pm
great video.  drone pilot knows what he’s doing.
Thanks for sharing, Doc.

Once plowed 40 acres of alfalfa sod with the D17 Diesel, starting on the perimeter.
Man, I thought I’d never get done, but sure remember the smell.
2nd low side IIRC.  Nelson muffler turned a cherry red after dark.  
This was back in '65 or so.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2024 at 7:55pm
My favorite plowing story.

When I was in high school, my grandfather was still dairy farming. He had been diagnosed with lung cancer and his health was declining. Being the oldest grandson, I was designated to do the farm chores, in addition to going to school and helping Dad what I could on our home farm.

There was a small field, about 3 acres, that had been in corn a few years before. When it was time to cut corn, it was very wet, and the field got rutted up pretty badly. It had ended up being pasture for a few years.

I had spread manure on it during the winter and in the spring, I decided I would plow it up. I took my grandfather's D-15 Series 2, with a set of 3 bottom International plows and attempted to plow the very rough field. Admittedly, it looked pretty rough when I got done.

My grandfather was having a good day and he came out to inspect my work. He walked across the end of the field, shook his head and declared, "I'm glad nobody can see this from the road. You don't know how to plow!" He couldn't have hurt my feelings any worse!

Dad always told that my grandfather did a lot of custom plowing with his 1939 Ford 9N and 2 bottom plows. He walked the ends of the field and marked out his lands. His plowing was straight and the field looked like clapboards when he was done (mine didn't!).

I often thought of my grandfather when I was plowing. I later "learned to plow", but I guess my plowing was never as good as his.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic