This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any Rumely guys lurking around in here?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Rumely guys lurking around in here?
    Posted: 14 Apr 2024 at 8:02pm
I’m working on a friends’ Rumely 6, and not really finding much info out there for this machine. Any tips on where to look or any leads on parts or manuals? Have partially torn the transmission down and had some questions about it…
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 5:05am
I know a guy that might be able to help you. I will get in touch with him today and see if he can jump on here and get together with you on it
Darrel
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2024 at 5:34am
Thanks, much appreciated!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by RedHeeler79 RedHeeler79 wrote:

Thanks, much appreciated!

I haven't forgotten about you, just running a day behind schedule.
Darrel
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 6:08pm
No problem, everyone’s busy this time of year!
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 8:25pm
I've been caretaker of a Rumely 6 that was donated to our local show as part of a collection. Jensales has manuals, that's where I got mine. As far as parts, they are hard to come by- there were only 801 of these tractors ever made. The Six was built with many of the same parts as the lightweight Oil Pulls such as the 25-40 X or 30-50 Y. Same wheels and transmission I believe, maybe other parts. Good luck!

Here's a pic of ours

1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2024 at 9:11pm
That’s a good looking ol’ machine. Thanks, i will check into the Jensales manuals. Main question i had was about the transmission shift rail… it has a groove running longitudinally between the detents, on both ends (each shift fork). We think the groove is part of the design, even though I haven’t ever seen that before on a shift rail that I can recall. One end is worn much worse than the other, and affects the functionality of the detents. Trying to decide the best approach as far as repairing or leaving it alone. The transmission got stuck in two gears at once and locked up, broke a couple teeth on one of the gears. The gear is getting fixed, but not sure about the shift rail.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2024 at 4:30pm
That groove looks very uniform and has tapers by the detent notches. If I had to guess I'd say that's part of the design, and may function to keep the shift lever centered as you slide it back and forth through the opening in the quadrant. It is probably worn bigger than when new and made the detents shallower and not hold as well. It is very easy to get stuck in two gears, I find I have to let in the clutch a bit to get it to go into a gear detent about half the time. If you're careful it works fine though.

Edited by Bill_MN - 17 Apr 2024 at 4:32pm
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic