This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

transmission and differential oil for WD

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: transmission and differential oil for WD
    Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 7:17pm
Just checking in again with some questions...
I have found 3 drain plugs underneath of the WD from the tranny to the differential. 2 around the PTO, and 1 in the back under the bull gear. Is this all there is for plugs other than the final drives?

How much oil will this take? Book says 17 quarts with 1 more quart for the PTO.
There are 2 filler pipes for the oil going in, one with the dipstick and one with a square ended plug. What goes where? What weight oil does everyone normally run?

Sorry for all the questions, just want to get this right the first time. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

TomMN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomMN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2010 at 8:17pm
Here is a picture of a WD45, I think the WD would have the same fill holes but I don't know that for sure.  You can see there are three fill holes.  The one in front is the one with a dipstick, that is for the hydraulic system.  The other two both fill the rearend and transmission.

The rear one in this picture is missing the plug.  The whole works can be filled with HyTran universal tractor fluid, so that makes it easier.

Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2010 at 10:40pm

I replaced every drop of fluid in my WD this past summer. Bought a 5 gallon pail of universal trans-hyd fluid and used all but about 2 qts. There are just three drain plugs, the one by the PTO on the housing and the one on the bottom of the PTO drop box drain the front part by the hand clutch. The one under the rear end only drains the differential and rear portion of the tranny. Be sure to open all three plugs to get all the old stuff out. I found it easier to remove the battery box and access cover over the hand clutch, you can just dump it in and it will flow to all parts of the tranny and rear end at once, and it's easier to see whats going on. It takes some time for the level to equalize as it flows through. Remove both fill plugs and fill until fluid runs out fill plugs. Final drive pans need to come off, there will likely be thick sludge in the bottom that needs to be wiped, (scraped, scooped) out, then fill to plug level. As far as hydraulics, use same fluid as tranny, check level with lift arms up. Finals I used 85W-140 gear lube.

Edited by Bill_MN - 30 Oct 2010 at 10:49pm
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Philipx View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philipx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:23pm
I have the wd with straight gears not hypoid and in different places I've looked there seems to be conflicting ideas on replacement oil for EP 80,I was told to use 80w90 but confirm that this hydraulic oil you mention here to replace in the Trans and differential would be correct and if so has anyone got the hyd oil number eg:SAE number etc

Edited by Philipx - 15 Apr 2016 at 5:25pm
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
I put 303 in from the local farm store.  Any Hy Trans oil will be better than what they had in the 50's when the wrote the books.
AaronSEIA
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 6:08pm
303 oil is deere oil
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 7:07pm
Use 821 oil.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 7:11pm
I used EP80 like the book said. Think I got it from NAPA.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Philipx View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Philipx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 8:04pm
Thank you all most helpful, I will investigate further with the information stated
and post which oil I can get in Canada from available stores
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:05pm
Any Universal transdraulic fluid works fine and will lubricate and protect gears. Had in mine for over 34 years now. If it would have been available when these were new, it would probably be listed in the manual. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2016 at 9:55pm
With 45hp, you could use motor oil in every thing and it would out last all of us, but with 821 or universal hydraulic, it might out last our grandkids.
 Universal hydraulic  is a much better oil for any type of gear than the best oil was in 1947 when the WD come out.        MACK
DanC911 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanC911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:06pm
What do you guys suggest for engine oil for the WD?  The book says SAE 20 but someone suggested something different when I asked about oil for my B.
1950 WD, 1955 B, 66 Jacobsen Chief-O-Matic, 68 Simplicity 2110, 77 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/front loader
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 8:24pm
If the engine is fairly clean or recently rebuilt, use any multi weight detergent oil. The non detergent straight weight oil is the best they had 60 years ago, not anymore. If you don't know the history of oil used, run a good detergent oil with some SeaFoam, keep an eye on it for a few hours of working and change it to clear out any sludge built up from the non detergent oil. You need to get it warmed up good a couple times anyway to help clean things out.
DanC911 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanC911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:30pm
So maybe a 10W30?
1950 WD, 1955 B, 66 Jacobsen Chief-O-Matic, 68 Simplicity 2110, 77 IH Cub Cadet 1450 w/front loader
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 9:59pm
Yes.Dad used 10w30 in the WD in the 60's and it's still using it.Got the same in my 45.
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2016 at 11:46pm
here's what dad all ways used in grandpas' wd45...unico 10w-40                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
Allis dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:05am
I'll be contrary and admit that maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. But I'd rather use 80-90 gear oil in the trans and rear end. If you're really working it, hydraulic oil is going to get pretty thin. I would think the gear would stick to the gear better. A couple good tractor mechanics I know agree with me.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2016 at 9:58am
TransHydraulic oil is made to protect gears from wear and has anti foaming agents. If it works for 200+ HP tractors it will work for a 35  HP tractor. It doesn't get thin, it also gets into bearings easier than heavy gear lube. 
 One con, might be if you have small leaks, it may find them easier than thicker lube, but when seals leak between the hydraulics and the tranny, you have the same oil in both.
fourthgeneration View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fourthgeneration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 5:52pm
   So 821 for the hydraulic, transmission, rear end and 80w gear oil for the bowl gears?
    Some states have banned the sale of 303 because its garbage. It used to be made using whale oil.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 8:52pm
Hi, but you should start your own thread when you want answers to something.
Usually I (along with most of the guys) skip over threads that are older because I've seen them and know I've answered.  So I don't bother with looking again.  ESPECIALLY when they are this old.
In answer, 821 OR it's equivalent, is what you're looking for.
You'd be better off starting a new thread though as there are guys on here who KNOW this stuff and will answer you in a new thread.  I just know what I've been told and haven't kept up with it.  Sorry, but that's the best I can do for you.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
wfmurray View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wfmurray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 8:44pm
It is not so much the thickness of the oil as it is the base.Put a drop of oil of different kind on a flat plate of steel and hit with a ball pen hammer. The one you have to hit the hardest to burst dry is the best oil. Simply test.Gears must not touch must have a film of oil between them are they will wear .  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic