[Main Page] [Owners Registry] [Allis Store] [Parts Etc.]
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wood burning furnace in new pole barn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigreavley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wood burning furnace in new pole barn
    Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 11:08am
I am installing a woodburning furnace in my new barn and dont know whether to go out through the wall, or to go straight up through the roof. It seems cheaper to go through the roof, but I worry about it leaking. Any experience with this???? How do you flash around a 6 inch double wall stainless chimney on a steel roof? The steel has the ribs on it??>??
Sponsored Links

Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:05pm

Howdy Craig,

A pipe staight up from the stove works better then one thru the wall. Too many elbows, less draft, more build up. Menards and other places sell flashings for the rib steel roof. Last year I did all this to my shop. Too bad your not closer, but welcome to come take a look.
Kurzy
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 4:38pm
Well, I sure do have experience in this one! I put a large woodburner from TSC in my pole barn. Put it into a firewalled room 6 ft x 10 ft. Inlet air at bottom and outlet air at top into the shop. (The room gets really warm and the blower pumps this tempered air into shop much better than just pulling it off the shop floor)  Also makes a great place to dry or warm up things quickly..
I ran the triple walled 8 inch chimney straight up thru the ceiling..use the fire wall boot...and on up to the roof 19 feet up from floor. Works very well..make sure you are at least 3 feet above the roof at ten feet away from the chimney.
Only problem here in Northern Michigan is the snow!
It will build up to 3 feet deep or more on the 4/12 steel roof and when it begins to slide it will bend that chimney right over..very heavy that snow when wet.
So, I had to build a Vee shape gable type deverter up slope from the chimney to take the load off....it splits the snow like a plow as it slides down. I had used a larger roof boot but it still couldn't take the snow load....
Good luck!
Life is short...Make haste to be kind
ChuckLuedtkeSEWI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChuckLuedtkeSEWI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 6:59pm
If it were me, I would go straight up through the roof with it.   The more pipe you keep inside, the more heat that can be naturally removed off of the pipe.   I put a pellet stove in my kitchen and ran the pipe straight through the wall as you can because they are power vented.   Once I started to use it, the run was so short that hot embers were blowing out of it and getting all over the grass, leaves, etc, as it was in an inside corner of the house.   I ended up running up the outside of the wall, through the soffit, the roof, and then up 2-3' higher.   When I was done, I would have been better off leaving the pipe inside as that pipe gets really hot.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:07pm
From expierence and from Insurance Co standpoint i would put it outside and not in building . Might find out you have no coverage if you have a burning stove of any kind in building.
 When I did have stove in shop , I cut smal hole in metal then marked where Class A pipe was going to be, then bent metal upward around cut hole to form flashing, Next i put regular flashing onto class A pipe, the bent ridge kept any water from running into building around pipe.
 Now I have a 275,000 BTU unit heater in shop , hung overhead and vented through sidewall , so no problems with flashings.
YOU DON'T THINK YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF LIVING --
YOU LIVE YOUR WAY TO A NEW WAY OF THINKING ..
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 9:16pm
I agree with Coke on the insurance part, check before you do anything. My Ins. company said no wood fired furnace of any kind in a "non living area" such as garage or shop because of leaving it attended apparently and any outdoor furnace can not be within 75 feet of any insured structure. I'm sure insurance companies vary but you should ask to be sure.
20-35, Wauk B, 2-B's, IB, 2-TLB's, TLW, TL6, C, CA, 2-G's, WC, styled WF, WD45w/ARPS, 2-W Patrols, M crawler, D15, D15 forklift,615 backhoe, TT-18, B125 PU,
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:09pm
i'm buying a sea shipping container, putting it outside the shop, my wood burner will be installed in it, with enough room to have a large pile/stack of wood inside to stay dry and easy to load the wood furnace, stack will go up thru the roof of the container, therefore not having to buy alot of pipeing. the heated air will blow thru a hole in the side of the container into a hole in the side of my astro building. no loss of space inside the shop and the container being all steel won't be a hazard. my insurance co approves of this system. i am using triple lined pipe between the shop and the container so the heat won't be lost between the two structures. the shipping container costs about $1800 and can always be converted to something else if needed. and i won't have a problem with the roof in my shop leaking. i finally got a building that i can work in and the roof doesn't leak. not gonna give it a chance to! i can even store a tractor inside that container if needed. plenty of room. the wood furnace i have will burn 8-10 hrs on a single load. i heat my house with corn i raise here, but also have a wood furnace in the basement for back up of if it gets really cold outside, haven't needed it yet, but i may take it out and put it outside too like i'm doing with the shop, but i will build a small utility building outside and place it in there, also having room for a stack of wood inside, and will pump the hot air in thru a basement window using the same triple lined insulated piping from the furnace to the house. that pipe is stainless steel and lasts a long time!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2010 at 10:48pm
It's also safer and easier to clean if you run it straight up to the roof. We heat our house with just a wood stove and the previous owners had an elbow and routed the chimney through the wall - ended up having a creosote fire at some point. We ran it straight up through the ceiling. Probably wouldn't be as much of a problem with a furnace though, since it's typically burning hotter and cleaner.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1956 WD-45
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2010 at 9:37am
Always through the ceiling.  Also if you can, near the peak is much better for draft.  I prefer the double wall stainless pipe with High temp insulation between the layers as it holds the heat better than triple wall.  Also spend the money, go to an actual wood stove store and purchase heavy wall stove pipe.  Those cheap pieces of crap that farm and home stores sell and rust out in a few years are the source of more than one fire.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic