This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cane mill update, final installment on page 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2010 at 7:30pm
Few more pix of the cutting process, video would be about as exciting as watching paint dry ! haha
First pic after about 2 hours of cutting, 2 cutters.
Shot of trailer,
After another couple hours of just me cutting
Close up of trailer
About half way through, got to work tomorrow, should finish cutting tomorrow afternoon. I have 2 20x20 canvas tarps that we cover it with till it gets mashed. That should happen the first week of November, I took the whole week off ! Just got a little more to finish up on the mill wagon, I bought 5000lb jack stands to put on each corner, got to weld the plate on them so they can be bolted to the main frame and it will be ready. Oh, we got a cut off saw at auction last week, the engine will get turned around to run the saw. Gonna get slabs to fire the cook fire with ! So much work, only one me ! Good night.
Sponsored Links

Warren(Oh) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:05pm
Mill wagon is finally finished. Added 5000lb trailer tongue jacks to each corner. Steadies it up nice. Got the engine turned around and belted to the cut off saw. Got to get a few bundles of slabs now. Pix later.
Jim-Tea View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim-Tea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2010 at 8:46pm
Warren I would check with the local hospital for a S.Steel table or tank. They use them for awhile and then toss them out or the maintance shop gets them.
Jim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2010 at 8:42pm
This has been one long road but the sorghum should flow, or ooze, tomorrow. The rain Friday hampered efforts to be ready today but everything is in place now. Sorry there isn't any video of me pulling the mill wagon into place with my G but here are a few pix showing them hooked together. The wagon probably out weighs the G 3 to 1 but it did ok on mostly level ground. The belt had to be tightened up quite a bit on the mill after using it to run the saw but I think it is tight enough now. Got to make a crank tightener to keep the belt tight. You can see the corner jacks in use and the oilers too. Got to get to bed, another short night !
Jeff Z. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff  Z.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:18am
Wouldn't want to get my finger in those gears.
Nice looking rig.
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 7:32am
Looks like you are about ready to go. In the first picture - the chickens appear to be helping move the thing -- slave labor, LOL. The projects some of you guys take on just amaze me. You have done a lot of work on this one, still looks like fun.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2010 at 8:15pm
JZ, the gears wouldn't be anything next to getting them in the rollers. A 1 1/2 inch stalk going in comes out nearly 6 inches wide ! The juice just pours.
Jim, it is  alot of work and fun but a lot is relief that the thing works and does what it's supposed to.
We got about a third of the cane run today. It's slow work with only 4 people. I fed the mill most of the day, it's a bit tall for everyone else to comfortably feed. By the time I got the trailer empty, the 100 gallon tank was full all while they were taking from it cooking. Took another couple hours to cook off and clean up before calling it a day. This may even carry over to next weekend because I won't likely get another day off but I've got Monday off ! I will be sure to have my camera tomorrow, walked right out without it today.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2010 at 11:32pm
As promised, here is video of our sorghum maiking. This will likely be the last installment on this thread. I'd like to thank everyone who has viewed it and posted a response.
First video is the start of day 2, engine started fairly easy after warming it up a bit with a small space heater. Cane moved into place, lines thawed out.
[TUBE]ilgQwrsIUL0[/TUBE]

Second video shows the back of my head and me feeding stalks into the mill. I was barely keeping up with what the mill can handle. Right after I stopped the camera, the belt slipped and I had to shut it down and tighten the belt. Next year belt tightening will be a much simpler process but it's 6 bolts and a lever now ! He'll kill me again !!
[TUBE]78e7DBgZREw[/TUBE]

Third is a lull in the squeezing while getting the cooking started. We left the pan full of water the day before and they chased it out as juice flowed in.
[TUBE]i5v2sytUSJg[/TUBE]

Hope everyone has enjoyed this, thanks for watching.

Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 5:06am
Gosh Warren, something must be wrong. Alsmost lookslike ya'll know what your doing. Glad it went well and all the hard work getting your new mill running has now paid off. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 7:52am
Wow -- that has been a lot of work -- but so NEAT! Not many folks around that can say they have done that. I did not realize how much juice would come from the cane. Looks like a pretty good flow out of the mill. Find the whole process amazing. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 9:41pm
WARREN, Thank you for sharing your pictures with us. I found it to be very interesting.
It sure was a lot of work getting everything set up. It looks like you plant the can in rows like corn. Do you cultivate it also? Does it have to be cut by hand? can't you cut it by machine? It great to see the whole family working together at the project. Bob
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2010 at 11:21pm
How much for a Quart Warren? Thanks for all the photos and videos.I can barely remember my family helping a nieghbor squeeze and cook and jar molasses(They would split up the booty afterward).The sights,sounds and smells bring back a lot of memories.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 7:37am
Chalmersbob, yes the cane is planted in rows just like corn. I did cultivate it with the G this spring and also sprayed it with Weed B Gone, still had jimsom, pig weed and cockleburrs but not as bad as they would have been. Hope to get a better job cultivating next year (if there is a next year ! Lot of work !) so the spray won't be needed but there are a lot of weed seeds in the ground, it likely will be needed. We hope to have a pto driven corn binder for next year. Guy I work with says he has one way in the back of one of his barns that we can have if we can get it out !
Pat, sent you a PM.  Asking $7 a quart. Priority mail medium USPS box costs $11.40 with Delivery Confirmation. I'll have to buy more bubble wrap if anyone else wants it by mail. Thanks
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 8:13am
Of course there will be a next year. Now that you have gone through all the experiment phase, you have it all figured out and can breeze through it -- oh, forgot you still have to plant, cultivate, strip, harvest, press, evaporate and things like that -- LOL.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2010 at 6:16pm
Jim, I think you ought to come help next year ! Cincy ain't that far away, we'll feed ya' !
It was a lot of experimentaion, seeing how things do and work or don't work. Biggest thing needed is a new furnace, second being a pan. We can build the furnace given time. Would rather someone else makes the pan, personally. I would like to try one a foot narrower and the sections wider and deeper but I don't know if I can convince everyone else to go along with it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 7:06am
Warren, actually thought I might try and swing by this year but other stuff happened. Maybe I can make it out that way next year -- ya never know.
LannyMTN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LannyMTN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2010 at 9:29pm
So, with the ride, a quart cost $18.40.
Lanny
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:31pm
Sorry Lanny, been busy ( had to go back to work !) Yes, $18.40 for the trip, $18 if you just want to send cash. Got to get signs made and try to get it all sold ! Thanks
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 5:42pm
Warren, Sure is good over hot biscuits. Yum, Yum. Thanks again. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:03pm
Bob, I have 3 left over cornbread muffins and plan on having them for breakfast with some of Warren's squeezin's on em. 
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic