This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cane mill update, final installment on page 2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cane mill update, final installment on page 2
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 10:50pm
Well, I finally got started putting the mill wagon together. Biggest thing now will be to take it apart and check the bearing surfaces, then lube them and put it back together if all looks good. Got to hand it to the 3020, no way could we have moved it without the loader. Here are pix so far.

Edited by Warren(Oh) - 08 Nov 2010 at 11:34pm
Sponsored Links

clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 8:55am
Okay, Warren, I'm going to have to show my ignorance here.

What exactly is that in the third photo? Is that a cane mill?

How does it work? 

What is the history on it? 

When was it made?

How is it used?

What powers it?

Who manufactured it?

Where did you find it?

What are you going to do with it?

Again, sorry to be so dumb. They don't grow any cane around here, and I don't believe I've ever seen anything like that. 

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 9:04am
Warren can best answer your questions, but as a visual assist, here's a pic of a gentleman extracting juice from sorghum (into the bucket) with a similar mill. I believe the juice is then boiled down into syrup, similar to maple syrup.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:15am
Clovis check out syrupmakers.com
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 11:50am
One wonders how there is anyone with all their parts around when one sees there are no guards on anything. Belts , gears, and feed all seem to be in places waiting for accidents to happen.
 were people more careful or more aware of what was going to happen or no one talked about the results.
 See the Wards wagon , now that has to be old also but well cared for for lettering and paint to be that good. MW logo shows up well.  Can remember spending hours looking at those catalogs when I was young. In fact a few years back came acorss a order form I had filled out when I was around 8 or 9, had a Winchester 94 saddle rifle written down, and a saddle, and couple other things .. Believe the rifle was like $39.50 or so .. Will have to see IF I can find that again.  
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 12:05pm
When I was in FFA, back a million years ago, we had a 2 acre plot of sorghum. 

It was our duty to strip the leaves, cut the stalk, and many weeks prior, to head the plant. Our ag teacher said that the leaves and head soaked up too much of the sorghum. I remember one year that we got rained out, so we cut the last half acre and sent it too the mill unstripped, and those last loads didn't produce hardly anything.

While I stripped and cut a ton of sorghum, I never got to go to the mill where the sorghum was made. 

Our FFA made a ton of cash from that project, at least in those days.

Thanks for the info. It is amazing what I learn on this site!!!!!!!  
Warren(Oh) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:34pm
As is often said, Clovis, there's no such thing as a stupid question ! Yes, this is a Chattanooga #72 power cane mill, patent date 1897 but I have no idea when this was actually made. There are many videos on youtube that show different types operating, I'm a bit partial to this one (cute girl, whatever she's saying ! ha) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSWOxDpggl0
I plan to power it with an International throttle governed engine off of a stationary baler. It's rated at 3 to 5 hp, if it doesn't have power enough to run it then I'll put the flat pulley on my G, that should do it !
I got it off of ebay back in April, southern Alabama, can't recall the name of the town. A Search on here might bring up when I posted about it then.
We have about half an acre of cane this year, nearly twice our normal crop just because of having this mill. Our previous attempts at sorghum using a converted horse powered mill were successful but that mill used an old type flat chain, like off of a manure spreader, it just won't take the pressure after so long. More times than I want to remember that chain broke and smacked someone ! It always broke on the feed side, most pressure. Everyone always wanted to feed it to fast and caused to much pressure. This mill should be able to take anything most anyone can throw at it ! www.syrupmakers.com is an excelent source of info and pix. Been all through it !!

GBACBFan, that's a good looking #71 but those folks are being lazy. They should have stripped the leaves off before squeezing the cane. They're not getting all the juice they could.

Pix to come.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:48pm

Dad always said to cut the tops, strip the fodder and cut the cane the same day it was pressed and boiled to make the best molasses.   If the cane isn't stripped of the fodder (leaves) the molasses have a green tint, and a strong taste.   Tim

GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 7:49pm

That gent was at a show in Wisconsin a year ago, and me not knowing a thing about a cane mill, he had me fooled! I enjoyed the demonstration. He ran the mill with an Allis C that just putted along, so I'm sure your G will handle it.

And now that I think of it, you being an AC guy and all, you should forget all about the International power source, and go right to your G. You'll have two reasons for folks to stop by at shows!

I look forward to your progress pics, thanks for posting.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 8:02pm
Here are a few pix of after the tear down. Hands were way to dirty to handle the camera after each piece came off !
First is the main roller with each of it's gears. This probably weighs in the neighborhood of 500 lbs ! The entire mill wieghs in around 2100 lbs ! 
The next few are the remains sitting on the wagon. Sorry about the green but there would be no moving this monster without the 3020 loader ! The end pieces, left standing on the base, are completely hollow ! Bolts run all the way through, about 20 inches long or so.
Last is the two smaller rollers that press against the main roller. Each are 9 inches in diameter and 12 inches wide. I could move them around on the table with effort but I doubt I could carry them very far !

Edited by Warren(Oh) - 26 Sep 2010 at 8:07pm
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 8:15pm
Thanks for the pics and info. Please keep us posted of your progress. What do you use to cook the sorghum?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 8:22pm
We have an evaporator pan, over 20 years old, galvanized steel, my Grandpa had it made, cost $1000 then ! We are in need of a new one in the next year or so, hoping to go stainless but need to talk with the folks at the WV Farm Museum in Mason, WV first, to see if they like it. The pan is roughly 9 feet long and 3 feet wide, if I remember correctly. Firebox is rusting away, too, always something to fix...
Plug for the WV Farm Museum, their Antique engine show is next weekend ! I'll be there with a couple old Mott walk behind tractors and the IH engine. http://www.wvfarmmuseum.org/ Check their Calendar of Events.
Brian Ahart View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Ahart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 9:21pm
Great pics Warren.  That is a nice sized mill.  Making molasses has been a yearly tradition in our family for several generations.  We currently use a horizontal Star mill made by Field & Co. of St. Louis.  I am not sure of the exact date of manufacture but I have found mills of similar design in ads from 1881.  Before we acquired that mill we used a turn of the century Deere vertical mill.  As a kid it was my job to drive a Model B in circles while dad fed in the cane.  Our current pan is an 85 gallon rectangular stainless steel pan that dad made about seven years ago.  Not cheap, but it will last for many years and is easy to clean.  We made two batches last weekend with nearly 80 gallons of juice for the first batch and probably 40 gallons in the second batch.

What is your typical yield ratio (juice to molasses)?  Ours typically varies from 8:1 to 10:1 depending on the variety of cane and the weather that year.  This year was especially good at around 7:1.

Thanks for sharing.  Feel free to post more pics of your setup.

Here is a picture of our mill.  Notice the old vertical mill in the background.

The C handles the mill with ease:

Best of luck,
Brian

Edited by Brian Ahart - 26 Sep 2010 at 9:34pm
A-C Weight ID reference and other goodies at brianahart.net
clovis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clovis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2010 at 10:37pm
Thank you for kindly answering my questions!!!! A person can learn so much on this forum! 

I'd love to work with sorghum again someday, and I'd love to work with one of those mills!  
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 7:17am
Would someone please post a picture of a vertical mill?

Thanks,
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2010 at 6:25pm
Brian, I honestly have no idea what the ratio would be. We usually figure 10 : 1 but never did the math. We were usually constantly mashing as the cooking was going on so no real measure of juice. I've never heard of a Star mill but that sure looks like a dandy ! How big is that biggest gear ? We used a vertical horse power mill before, with a 6.5hp engine on it ! Here's a video from last year, painfully slow ! This is a Chattanooga Improved #13 mill  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4VGn8QNruQ 
Clovis, how far from Jackson, Ohio are you ? I could give you a call and we'd be happy to let you work in it all you want ! haha Seriously, we will need help !
Dusty, you can see our vertical mill in the video or there are plenty on syrupmakers.com.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:06pm
Well, no camera with me but it's back together. Bearings all cleaned and lubed, turns easily by turning the shaft bear handed without the 24 inch belt pulley ! Should spin freely when the pulley is installed.
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2010 at 9:21pm
That's a cool and interesting project you've got going there, Warren. Are you going to paint it? Keep the pics coming.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 6:21am
Just cleaning to get it usable this round, gonna hook up the pressure washer to hot water and the soap injector and wash it good now. Someday I'll give it a new paint job. I'm looking for somekind of oil dripper that could be used in the oil holes so it gets a more constant supply of oil to the bearings.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2010 at 5:41pm
Warren, most industrial and bearing supply houses have the oilers. We used to put electric operated ones on some of the granite sawing equipment in Elberton. Turned on when they put the machine in automatic. They have manual ones with as many outlets as you need, and a ball valve to turn it off when you're done. Brand that we used slips my mind now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2010 at 8:19pm
Time for some more pix, should be in bed, though so I'll likely mess up !
First a shot of the cane I've gotten stripped.
Then a shot of whats left !
I've finished the top row of cane, was getting mighty warm so I went to work on the mill wagon. Here we are ready to slid the engine out of my Dakota. The shocks let out a sigh of relief when it finally came out.
Something just isn't quite right.
Nope, still not right.
That's looking better, still needs lined up a bit.
After a couple hours of fastening down the boards under the engine and straping the engine down, we just had to crank it over. Nothing happened ! Cleaned the carb and she fired on half a crank ! All I was doing was turning the belt to see if it was in line and it started ! See video below. I got to get to bed, 3:30 will be here long before I'm ready for it ! Enjoy.
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 4:33am
Looks good Warren. Thought maybe it would have been easier to just buy another engine with the belt pulley on the right side. LOL God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Jim Lindemood View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Lindemood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:55am
Looks like ya got it under control now -- better get stripping - LOL
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 8:20am
Warren, with all the work you have done so far, it looks like you are ready to do some squeezing. People might see a demonstration at a show and have no idea of the work involved in growing and preparing the cane, let alone restoring the equipment.
 I'm ready to taste the finished product and I haven't lifted a finger to help. LOL  Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 3:40pm
Cheap drip oiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-ZkJ8EqhzE

Fancy oiler:

http://www.tias.com/8600/PictPage/1922374464.html

Edited by Rawleigh - 11 Oct 2010 at 3:43pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warren(Oh) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:31pm
Thanks Rawleigh, I know about the brass oilers from hit-miss engines but they are pricey. I found 4 sight feed oilers on ebay and got them for $37 total. However, I like to make stuff and that home made oiler would be right up my alley ! I had been thinking of making one but hadn't decided on a valve for it. Thanks for the link.
Charlie, where as I would appreciate the help, willing buyers would be fine too. I'm thinking $7 a jar plus shipping. Hope this doesn't come back to bite me !! haha
I got off work early today, got 3 more rows finished today. Admittedly, one was shorter and much thinner planted. 8 more rows to finish it, then I'm thinking of heading it before cutting, need a feed sack hanger to go around my waist....
Had to have a bit of fun with the pictures, I didn't think of that, I usually forget to take in progress shots. I'm thinking of making bows, like covered wagon bows, to hold a tarp for storage of the whole contraption. Anyone able to bend, say, 3/4 inch metal conduit for a smooth bow, 5 feet wide !?
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 6:59pm
Warren, I think I would use PVC conduit for the bows. One could use a heat gun to form the bows. Should not be too hard to do.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ACD19farmboy View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACD19farmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 7:09pm
We have allready made one batch of molasis-sourgum this year, good stuff!! lol and we have about 6 cane mills lying around but use only 2 of them!!
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 9:13pm
Warren, I bent up some 1/2 emt once with a regular conduit bender. I used them on my old wagon so I could fill it with fire wood cover with a cheap plastic tarp. It took a while but wasn't too hard to do. The PVC might be the way to go. Maybe build a jig so you can get them all the same and you would have a place for them to cool. 
 PM me your address and I'll send the $7 + whatever shipping might be.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2010 at 5:17am
Warren, Pm me your address also and I get the $7:00 plus shipping in the mail to you. Would love to help,but it seems a long drive for me. LOL God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic