This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What is it???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What is it???
    Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 9:27pm
The radiator says CLEVELAND FORM GRADER

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 9:44pm
if i'm not mistaken, that used in road construction for grading the shoulder of a road
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Chris(WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris(WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 11:32pm
As it is a FORMGRADER Could it have been for screeding concrete road surface? Just a guess. Shouldering roads makes sense too.

Edited by Chris(WA) - 08 Oct 2010 at 11:33pm
Washingtonian by choice, Wisconsin Farmboy by the grace of God!
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:00am
Don't know nuttin bout it but the auger suggests that maybe was used to pull material back toward the road bed that had 'slipped' down toward the ditch...kinda saving the gravel before it gets away???
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:04pm
I don't know either, but with 3 steering wheels, 1 seat??  I know 2 are for adjustments, a rear view of it might be interesting to see!

Dave in PA
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 2:32pm
Here ya go.

Obituary, Jasper Garrett (Jack) Tullis

U.S. Patent granted to Jasper G. Tullis in 1930

As mentioned in his obituary above, Jasper G. Tullis was the inventor of the Cleveland Form Grader, a device for laying pavement. He was granted a number of U.S. Patents from 1930 to 1939, including the one shown above.

http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
JohnThomas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnThomas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:28pm
Finding that OB was a good job! I've been researching this machine for awhile too but I am not sure abt this thing. I haven't found anything other than it could probably be  Cletrac related....(Cleveland Tractor)
It looks home made, the front axle surely won't pivot on that sheet of steel that holds it in place, and the screws below would bring asphalt across but those big gears would certainly get clogged up wouldn't they? And the grading device shown in the OB post could be what the auger are feeding...
Sure is a contraption!
Life is short...Make haste to be kind
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:34pm
As mentioned in his obituary above, Jasper G. Tullis was the inventor of the Cleveland Form Grader, a device for laying pavement. He was granted a number of U.S. Patents from 1930 to 1939, including the one shown above.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
jjrosty View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2010 at 1:34pm
I thought maybe he had 2 wives. a steering wheel for everyone :-)
Slaughter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:49pm
     this is a machine  used  to dig concret form line. I have set many forms  behind these machines. Better than hand digging.
Slaughter View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slaughter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:54pm
GBACBFan  How did the side shields that I sent to you work out?
GBACBFan View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBACBFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 11:12pm
It's good to see you posting again. I think it was back on the old Forum that I bought those from you.

I've got them hanging on the wall in my shop waiting to get to the point of fitting them to the AC project I'm working on. When you have a pair that are in great condition like those are, they look pretty cool just displayed on the wall. They're not locked in the safe, but pretty close to it! I'll maybe get a pic and send it to you. I'm very fortunate to have such a nice pair.

It's interesting that you have knowledge about this Form Grader. I saw it when I was at a show in Ashland, VA last month, and not having a clue as to what it was, I thought it was pretty unusual. Reading some of the posts of folks that knew what it was, there is no doubt about the wealth of information the guys on this Forum possess. It's pretty hard to stump you guys.

Edited by GBACBFan - 16 Oct 2010 at 11:18pm
"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine." - Mark Twain
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic