This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis-Chalmers is STILL Out There

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis-Chalmers is STILL Out There
    Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 4:20pm
Posts on different topics got me interested in these ITT and A-C pump companies. Being an Allis-Chalmers fan I decided to see if I could dig up any information on this familiar logo and what the A-C name stood for. After about 30 or so minutes I found these pages.

Those links seem to confirm that the Allis-Chalmers name and logo are still alive and are an industry leader as the Allis-Chalmers Pump Co. With the death of one Allis-Chalmers comes the discovery of another.

Their homepage is at http://www.acpump.com/ and you can see a bigger picture of the logo on the red pump on the right at http://www.acfirepump.com/ParkHouse100.pdf  
1937 WC, 1950 CA, 1959 D14, 1967 190XT, 2006 Ram 3500
Sponsored Links

CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 5:04pm
I have worked on a few Allis Chalmers pumps in the last 15 years. The Couch Pump works in Florida was owned by Allis for a time and there are lots of those ditch pumps out there.
 I rebuilt a few pups for the city of Geneseo ,Il once. They were used to pump coolant water for big generator engines. Actually there wasn't any rebuilding to do. The original pump had a packing that needed adjustment as it wore. These pumps were probably 30-40 years old when somebody decided to replace the packing with a rubber seal.  All I did to them was bore out the packing diameter to fit a NR seal and polish the shaft a little.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
AllisChalmers37 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 6:17pm
Now I'm really confused. Once again, as I often say too much, I was scanning the internet and out of curiosity decided to type in Allis-Chalmers Pumps on Google to see what I could find out about them. The first link is to this page called Allis-Chalmers Pumps Ltd. When I entered the website and clicked on the About tab I found out that they had decided to revive the Allis-Chalmers brand because they saw that the name had a very good and sucessful history in the pump manufacturing business. They do however, make it very clear that they have nothing in common with the old Allis-Chalmers Corporation or any other Allis-Chalmers organization but that they do still manufacture pumps and parts that are interchangable and equivalent with the old Allis-Chalmers line of pumps. The thing that puzzles me the most is that if that company can revive the Allis-Chalmers name in the pump business why cant a company somewhere, unlike AGCO, see the sucess and respect of the Allis-Chalmers line of farm tractors and equipment and buy the naming rights from the now former Allis-Chalmers Energy to do like this company did. In my honest opinion if some one was to buy the tractor naming rights and logo and then produce a durible, high quality, and most importantly ORANGE line of tractors and badge them as the "new" Allis-Chalmers tractors their company, due to the history of the name and people like us, would get off to a strong start and prosper in the future.

I'll quit preaching now and give those of you who are interested the website of that new pump company that I was talking about. http://www.allis-chalmerspumps.com/index.htm Their logo is the only thing that I don't agree with.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 6:57pm
I agree on resurecting the AC brand and rebuilding it into the company that it should be today. Only problem is, i'm a few million short on funding.LOL!
It is a hope of mine that after AGCO finishes killing the orange tractors, someone with the right funding will realize the potential of the brand, and will create an American-made product that will give JD, CIH, and NH a run for their money. I would rather have a tractor that I knew was made here, with money spent and reinvested here, than to know I was giving more money away to another country.
Allis Chalmers is still in business. Go to Allischalmersenergy.com. They deal with power generation, transmission, and distribution.
A lot of hydroelectric plants still have AC generator units in use today. I am not sure if AC still builds any generation products or not. 
CJohnS MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJohnS MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 6:58pm
AC orange is in a lot of places:

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by DREAM DREAM wrote:

I agree on resurecting the AC brand and rebuilding it into the company that it should be today. Only problem is, i'm a few million short on funding.LOL!
It is a hope of mine that after AGCO finishes killing the orange tractors, someone with the right funding will realize the potential of the brand, and will create an American-made product that will give JD, CIH, and NH a run for their money. I would rather have a tractor that I knew was made here, with money spent and reinvested here, than to know I was giving more money away to another country.
Allis Chalmers is still in business. Go to Allischalmersenergy.com. They deal with power generation, transmission, and distribution.
A lot of hydroelectric plants still have AC generator units in use today. I am not sure if AC still builds any generation products or not. 

Amen, I said the former Allis-Chalmers Energy under the assumption that the name and logo would be replaced by Seawell after their $890 million buyout. On a more humorus side I would like to see the look on their faces if I offered to buy the name and logo for $10?

Edited by AllisChalmers37 - 14 Aug 2010 at 7:29pm
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:13pm
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:38pm
ITT/Goulds bought the Allis-Chalmers pump division. The original AC patents have expired and there are different manufactures making clone AC pumps. I think the new AC pump company may be in line for a challenge from Goulds concerning new AC pumps considering Goulds still offers new AC designated pumps for municipal wastewater and fire protection. The AC in the name may not be called out as Allis Chalmers, but it is a throwback from the old AC pump days and their real purchased connection to the original AC pump line.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 8:59pm
Link to ITT's FLYT pump division which operates what is formerly the Allis Chalmers AC pump division.

Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2010 at 11:07pm
Well, so much for Allis Chalmers energy still being around. Did not know about the Seawell buyout.
I would get my name on the list to buy the rights to the name and AC logo. Might be worth something one day. If you were in the right place and right time, some wealthy investor might want to start making GOOD  orange tractors again. LOL!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisChalmers37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2010 at 1:07am
I sure hope some one who knows about Allis-Chalmers' past and wants to keep the name highly respected buys the naming rights and logo. The worst possible thing that could happen, other than AGCO buying the name and tossing it in the corner, would be that a cheap foriegn company that is looking to make a quick dollar would buy the name just so they could produce something awful that they think the name, paint, and logo alone could make sell. I think that it would hurt all of us that put so much love, work, and respect into this company in an effort to preserve and possibly revive a vital piece of American history to see that happen. So if someone is going to produce a new line of farm tractors they should be required to build the toughest, most reliable, and easy to fix tractor out there that makes all opposition go bankrupt. But most importantly they should build a tractor that would deserve to be called an Allis-Chalmers and wear the beautiful Persian Orange paint while sporting off the iconic orange and black AC triangle logo. 
Spud View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 10:12am
The tractor market is highly competitive, capital intensive, and low margin.  As much as it would be nice, I don't see anybody starting up a tractor company and calling it AC.  How many on this site actually buy new farm machinery besides ILGleaner and a couple others?
The AC name in tractors has been gone for 25 years.  Todays and tomorrows decision makers do not know the name other then the old tractors section at the local fair.
Not trying to be a downer, just realistic.
The only hope would have been if this sellout of AC Energy happened 2-3 years ago and if Agco had bought it.
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2010 at 5:45pm
   here are some more companies still in business with roots from AC.
      acequipment.com       rotary kilns, still working in the grounds of the AC campus.
      regencoservices.com     still working in the main erection bay doing turbine work.
      acmexicana.com        the plant in Mexico that AC owned (lift trucks) and the  "L4"
                                     although i see there site is down recently.
      accontroldirect.com     I dont believe this was an Allis company though.
      york.voithhydro.com    one of the former AC plants that still builds turbines etc.

Also the Metso minerals plant in Waukesha is the former AC mineral systems division
  and the Tusk lift truck plant in Covington GA was formerly AC lift trucks.

JEC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 10:55am
"A-C Pump" history since the 80's:
ITT bought the A-C Pump Company out of bankruptcy in the late 80's.  This included Pewaukee, WI "A-C Custom Pump" operations, Cincinnati "A-C Pump", and an A-C division in Canada(maybe some others as well).  The ITT name was added and the pump products were all marketed as "ITT A-C Pumps".

ITT then bought Goulds in the late 90's.  A few years later they shut the Cincinnati division down and moved production of most (but not all) of those pumps to Goulds. Thus, while Goulds did not "buy" A-C they did take over much of pump production.   They still produce brochures that say A-C/Goulds for marketing and will, if asked, sell a few select models of "A-C Pumps" with ITT A-C Pump labels.  The old Allis-Chalmers 9000/9100 series pumps for instance could be labeled ITT A-C 9100 Series but are also sold as ITT Goulds 3409 models (same pump new label).  A-C pumps that overlapped Goulds coverages were obsoleted).

Here is a brochure still used today that includes both A-C & Goulds name together:

(Some may be disappointed of the use of blue in the A-C logo.  Don't blame Goulds as I think this switch was made in the 90's before ITT bought Goulds.)

A few models pump production also moved from ITT A-C to ITT Bell & Gossett.  The 8100 series and 2000 series pumps sold as "ITT A-C Fire Pumps" are made in the B&G facility in Morton Grove, IL.  "ITT A-C" 2000 series pumps are also sold through select distributors around the US though I don't think they are actively marketed.

ITT A-C Custom Pump in Pewaukee (near the site of on of the original Allis-Chalmers very large factory/campus) remained its own division for a number of years.    One product line was moved in the mid 2000's from Goulds to Pewaukee.  

A few years ago ITT transferred the Pewaukee division to the ITT Flygt division which is now part of ITT's larger division "ITT Water & Wastewater" (B&G is part of this group now too I believe).  The "A-C Custom Pumps" and one model of pump is still available from the ITT W&WW division named the "Flygt A-C Pumps".

"A-C Pump" future:
ITT has recently announced that all companies in the ITT W&WW group will be split off into an entirely new, as yet named, publicly traded company.   I don't know what they will do with the A-C name after this.  They might still use it like they do today.

The Goulds unit in Seneca Falls, NY will not be part of the new W&WW company but since they will continue with production of some old A-C models they could also keep using A-C in some manner. 

JR Maley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JR Maley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 11:37am
I design wastewater treatment plants.  I haven't ever specified an Allis Chalmers Pump.  I mostly specify Fairbanks-Morse for centrifugal pump applications, but I may soon get my chance to specify Allis Chalmers Pumps though.

I do not want to give the specific details or location of the project, but it is a set pumps at the pump station that feed the largest advanced wastewater treatment plant in the world.  Each  pump (eight total) will be 56,000 gpm (one capable of emptying an olympic swimming pool in 11 minutes, and with all eight on they can empty it in 82.5 seconds ).  Well very few manufacturers are left in the world that can build pumps this size that meet USA standards.  Allis Chalmers is one of the few who can build them.  

By the way they are as was mentioned above now officially called ITT Flygt A-C, but everybody in the industry still calls them Allis Chalmers, and in fact brand new ITT Flygt A-C pumps have Allis Chalmers cast into them along with the Allis Chalmers logo.  When you go to their website you'll notice that the pictures hav Flygt photo-shopped  over Allis Chalmers.

Edited by JR Maley - 08 Jun 2011 at 11:41am
JEC View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JEC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 12:07pm
Very nice project.  The Custom Pumps made by Flygt A-C in Pewaulkee pumps can be very efficient.  Whats the TDH?

I've sold some pumps from another manufacture similar in GPM to this with very low heads for a water park in Texas.  50,000 GPM each for wave & river rides.   Sadly, I was not able to do startup in a swim suit. ;)

Edited by JEC - 08 Jun 2011 at 12:21pm
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 4:02pm
The Seawell merger didnt end AC - yet - but now the combined companies are called Archer ; it says AC is still a branch of all this , but I feel it will end ;  When Agco was formed they wanted to use  ALLIS CHALMERS and the logo , but the old dead broke AC wanted a million bucks ; too much for a start up company to swallow ; thats when  ALLIS GLEANER Company was formed - they wanted the triangle logo and got it without stepping on AC,s toes - not this now Massey Fergeson company ; Allis Chalmers Corporation was huge but in 5 years it went to crap -I buy all the Annual reports i can off Ebay - to lose so much money because of pure management ignorance  now that is a sad story , but IH aint much better
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic