This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD-16D crawler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD-16D crawler
    Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 2:35pm
I write articles for the newsletter of HCEA Canada. I am preparing an article about a friend's HD-16D. I have a fair amount of general information about the HD-16 series, but very little about the HD-16D. What were the beginning and ending serial number?  What was the first year of manufacture and the last year? What series engine was used in the HD-16D?  What was the displacement? What was the torque? What was the bore and stroke? What was the flywheel HP? What was the drawbar HP? What was the advertised/claimed HP? What was the operating weight of the HD-16D without attachments? Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Phillip
Sponsored Links

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 3:45pm

http://archives.hcea.net/index.php?p=core/search&subjectid=61

Collection Overview

Title: Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company, 1905-1985 and n. d.Add to your cart.

ID: 1/101/54

Creator: Allis-Chalmers Manufacturing Company (1847-1999)

Arrangement: Group 1, Machinery Records, is arranged by record format, record type, machine class, machine model, and publication date (where known). Group 2, Series 2, is filed by image number on compact discs.
Group 3, Periodicals, are filed by format, title and date.
Group 4, Business records, are filed as a body.
Records received in the Donald W. Frantz Collection are filed in a separate group per the donor’s request.

Records received in the Judd Griffith Collection are filed separately due their rarity and physical condition.

Formats/Genres: Advertisement, Artifact, Artist's rendition, Artwork, Bid specification, Business records, Clipping, Comparative spec, Competitive product study, Composite catalog, Correspondence, Cost study, Crane rating chart, Digital image, Dun & Bradstreet statement, Engineering drawing, Engineering study, Illustration, Microfiche, Motion picture, Parts book, Patent record, Performance chart, Periodical, Photograph, Price book, Price page, Production estimating, Prospect evaluation, Publicity, Reference, Sales correspondence, Sales letter, Sales literature, Sales training, SEC Form 10K, Serial number reference, Service bulletin, Service letter, Service literature, Service manual, Service training, Spec sheet, Standard & Poor stock report, Stockholder report, Testimonial, Training, Undercarriage maintenance kit, Watch fob

Languages: English

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection consists of sales and service literature (manual, parts book), engineering studies, photographs, microfiche and motion pictures discussing the company’s products, and periodicals, business records, artwork, reference materials and artifacts published by the company.

As of October 22, 2008, the sales literature is posted in detail. Detailed information for the other records is not yet available on line. Please use the [Contact Us About This Collection] option on this screen to inquiry about it.

Historical Note

Allis-Chalmers was founded in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in 1847 to manufacture millstones. Acquisitions included:

• Monarch Tractors, Inc. (Collection 1778) in 1928; the Monarch name was retained for several years thereafter.
• Ryan Manufacturing Corporation (Collection 1812), a manufacturer of graders, in 1931.
• LaPlant-Choate Manufacturing Co., Inc. (Collection 457) in 1952, retaining LaPlant-Choate’s model designations.
• The Buda Company (Collection 358), Nov 1 1953; Buda was operated as a division through at least Sep 1956, and some engines are described in used equipment sales literature as "Allis-Chalmers-Buda."
• The Baker Manufacturing Company (Collection 133) in April 1955.
• Tractomotive Corporation (Collection 1485), which had built loaders and attachments for Allis-Chalmers, in 1959.

The Company was organized into various departments and divisions to administer its widely varied product lines. The Mining and Crushing Machinery Department existed as early as 1905, when it manufactured railroad shovels. The Utility Tractor Department manufactured the H3 and HD3 crawler tractors; it became the Industrial Tractor Division, which produced 600-series, H4 and HD4 crawler tractors, 700-series forklifts and other small machinery.

A-C’s construction division was sold to Fiat (Collection 391) in 1974, and became the Fiat-Allis (then, in 1982, Fiatallis – Collection 392) joint venture. Fiatallis ceased manufacturing operations in North America by 1989, but continued to market and support machines imported from Italy. In 1986, Fiat and Hitachi Construction Machinery Company (Collection 423) formed the Fiat-Hitachi (Collection 393) joint venture to manufacture excavators and the former Fiatallis product line; the Fiatallis name continued to be used in America.

K-H-Deutz AG (Collection 570) of Germany purchased the agricultural product lines in 1985, then sold it to Agco Corporation (Collection 2621) in 1990. The crushing equipment lines were sold to Svedala Industri (Collection 1432) in 1988. Svedala was acquired by Metso Minerals (formerly Nordberg Manufacturing Company) (Collection 1116) in 2001. Any other remaining manufacturing operations were also sold in 1988, and Allis-Chalmers closed its last offices in Milwaukee in January 1999.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 25 Jul 2010 at 11:02am
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2010 at 10:50pm
all the answers you need are detailed in Norm's construction machinery book.  I am currently out of town, otherwise i would take care of it for you.  if no one can provide the information for you i will,  however, it will be a couple days.
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2010 at 8:45pm
Philip, I looked in Norm Swinford's  book and found no mention of a HD-16D. Lots of other letters for different options etc. I have literature and specs etc and can help you but don't know anything about the 'D' designation.
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
Gary(OR) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(OR) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 3:37am
Just have a few tidbits to offer from a book of mine, "Classic Vintage Crawlers & Dozers Vol I" .....shows a pic of a 16D in work clothes, with a "Jearsey Spreader" attachment (mainly shows the spreader) and the caption reads " Allis Chalmers began placing a new 16000 Series engine in the HD-16 in the late 50's. This is a 6 cylinder, 844 cu. in. naturally aspirated engine that can produce 170 ghp. In 1960, two new models were offered: the HD-16D and DC. D was a direct drive; DC had a torque converter. Both have the same power as the "A" models, but have longer tracks" end of quote....Then it mentions the Jearsey spreader.
Also in the appendix in the back of the book, a DP and GB are listed along with the D and DC, showing they were built up until 1970, when the B series debuted.
Hope this helps a little.... w/o making things more confusing..: )

Edited by Gary(OR) - 26 Jul 2010 at 3:40am
BobsAc View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobsAc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 6:17pm
I owned two HD-16D's, they had two different 16000 series engines, my earlier one had the 16000 series and the later one the 16000 MKII series. Both had oil master and steering clutches/brakes, as opposed to the dry type in the HD-16A. The HD-16A also used the "Buda" 844 engine (non-turbo'ed)...... Bob S.
Phillip View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phillip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:47am
Hi Bob. Thank you for the information. After a lot of searching I obtained technical information about the HD-16D series. My article appeared in the most recent issue of "Dominion Iron", the newsletter of the Historical Construction Equipment Association of Canada. Phillip 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic