This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WOO WHO it really made a crop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WOO WHO it really made a crop
    Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:31pm
We picked the first sweet corn this evening. Last week was not sure there where going to be any seed on it. Some of the dinkest little ears ever but filled clear to the tip,and no worms yet any way.

Picked a bunch and started down the road visited  7 different neighbors I had seen in months an one I had never met before. And left some at 2 more places where nobody was home. Will go a different road tomorrow. Four were young couples  2 of them just renting out in the country so not connected to the neighborhood so good way to get to know them. 

Anybody got a way for DJ to post pic yet cause my wonderfull did that for me several times like DJ tried the other day. Even had her take pics of the water trough garden and like DJ nothen worked.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:42pm
dang...yer a nicer guy than that JC says you is! that's a really nice way to keep good neighbors! most all my neighbors suck! may hafta go out ona neighbor ousting again before winter! sure you don't want sum coons to help you enjoy?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:09am
 I don't know,,Ray,,I have tried everything I know of ,,,and some I didn't know of,,,,Wink I just cannot figure what the deal is. I tried several times getting pics from my File Manager here and posted them OK, deleted them and posted different others . I've saved them as JPEG and resized to smaller than required but no dice,,,GRRrrr Ther are really nice and will prolly start a new trend in remodeling,,,,,!!!!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:19am
Ray, that was a very nice way to get acquainted with your neighbors. But you ruined ole Shameless' low opinion of you. LOL Between too much rain and the deer I am not getting much out of my garden this year.

Shameless, to have good neighbors you have to be one. Wink
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
Hey Ray, that sounds pretty nice what you did... and feels good doing it too.
 Kindness from the heart. Can't beat that.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 2:33pm
Shameless, to have good neighbors you have to be one. Wink

Amen

Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:48pm
If the man doesn't have coons now he sure is overdue for them Shameless. Best send em expidited freight.

Edited by Walker - 17 Jul 2018 at 6:05pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 10:58pm
I agree Walker! and, and...I Is a good neighbor! (to some)
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 10:32am
Always a chancy thing of how good corn will do growing it with out getting a drop of rain on it. My dad loved fresh sweet corn so something he always wanted planted,but didn't' always happen.

The first planting I ever did was corn with dad. He rigged a board on a hoe opener off a grain drill. I sat on the board and dropped seeds down the opener as he drove a VAC Case pulling it. On the trip back put the tractor tire on the row we just planted to pack it down. But that only worked so long before I got to big. An somewhere after I grew up he talked a friend out of a Oliver 88 2 row planter. Which is what we used ever since.

We use the dust mulch or summer fallow to save moisture to grow crops without a drop of rain.But the big money wine industry just cannot stand using what is sutainable and have to keep drilling new wells to suck the whole country dry. So growing a crop without irrigation gives me extra sadisfaction. So I give it away to let more people know it is even possible.Wink So some more than other can see the poker stick is real sharp.

So going back to the lawyer jokes. Do I deserve brownie points for giving corn away????????????? But as stated above it is a good way to get to meet the new folks in the area. Be just a little sharper than the billionaire citydots that end up next door,including Miss America 1957(she has not aged as good as AC tractor of that vintage).  

To dry around to keep to many racoons. The year the corn is out on the coyote freeway but also in ground squirrel city. 

Edited by Ray54 - 19 Jul 2018 at 10:34am
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:08pm
When My youngest red headed son was in 3rd grade, we had 3 acres of sweet corn. He would come to the tire shop after school. And start selling sweet corn to the housewives around the shop about 4:00. He sold everything he could carry. Great stuff. We can't raise corn now. The darn deer have over run the area in the past 30 years. Even with a state approved fence, they will destroy that little patch in a couple of weeks.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:09pm
I'm getting hungry!!

Thanks for being a good neighbor Ray,,,,,too bad I'm not close enough.Cry

Edited by Ted J - 20 Jul 2018 at 12:10pm
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 11:12pm
I like sweet corn
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 12:20am
I grilled some sweet corn last week on my new grill, the old lady.....ooooops….I mean the loving wife thoughts I was nutso! but she liked it afterwards.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 3:29pm
Well Oh Walker ant never getten no corn now!!!!!!!!!!!!!Angry!!!!!!!!!!!! His darn old coonsAngry arived and brung there cousins that rolls in the mud and has tusks. Dang old wild hogEvil Smile pigged outLOL last night.

I think it was over any way 3 weeks of a 100 degrees or more every afternoon had dried the silks on the last kind. Most the last we picked was only 50% filled
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic