This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

carb cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: carb cleaner
    Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 8:08pm
what do you guys use for soaking carb parts when rebuilding? I have been using an over the counter carb cleaner (don't remember off hand, the brand) but I just am not happy with it. Im not convinced it's getting the crud out of the teeny tiny ports
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:00pm
Berryman Chem-dip. Not what it used to be with EPA regs but still does the job just takes a little longer soak.
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 11:47pm
would brake clean work?
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 6:59am
 I got this from YouTube and it does work great. Use Lemon juice and boil the carb parts in it for bout 1 hour. It leaves a grayish film on parts that comes off easily with water. I went to Dollar Tree and got two quart bottles for $2.00,,,,like I said,,it works great,,,,,,,Clap
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

I got this from YouTube and it does work great. Use Lemon juice and boil the carb parts in it for bout 1 hour. It leaves a grayish film on parts that comes off easily with water. I went to Dollar Tree and got two quart bottles for $2.00,,,,like I said,,it works great,,,,,,,Clap

X2!

I use that method, and the Berryman method. Both work. The lemon juice method is cheaper, though. 
I used the Berryman method on a WD45 carburetor. Let it soak overnight, and the next morning the whole thing was stripped clean. 
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 5:10pm
(MEK) methyl ethyl ketone, acetone, and gas is a pretty potent mix. Should just about dissolve anything in the carb. Keep sealed, very high VOC's (volatile organic compounds) involved. Use in well ventilated area very flammable. Wear gloves, avoid breathing. I use to do environmental crap for a printing company where I worked after I hurt my back.

Edited by chaskaduo - 17 Jul 2018 at 5:12pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2018 at 11:37pm
i like to put them in a metal can of plain e10 gasoline for a day rinse and blow then to the ultra sonic cleaner for an hour at 150* 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 12:27pm
I'm gonna have to try that lemon juice one!!
Regular carb cleaner is getting pretty expensive.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic