This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5 Axle and Outboard Bearing Parts Confusion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5 Axle and Outboard Bearing Parts Confusion
    Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:41pm
I’m replacing the final drive axle, outboard bearing housing, seal and sprocket nut. I have an earlier model s/n HD5B 5764. I’m running into problems with parts discrepancies according to the AC parts diagram.

I found a 6 spline “first type” replacement axle and installed it. It doesn’t have any rifling for oil to flow to the bearing and is lubed with a grease gun thru a plug in the cover.
According to the diagram, it takes housing #079104. Diagram says it takes the smaller 3-35/64 bearing. The replacement housing I found has that same part number, but has the larger 3-15/16 bearing. Strange. It also shows the flat style sprocket nut is used with the “first type” axle. The replacement nut I have is “second type” 081369 with the sleeve on it.

Question is can I use either large or small bearing housing and either style nut on the axle I have?

Edited by dyno - 15 Jul 2018 at 1:44pm
Sponsored Links

dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 1:56pm
Here’s a pic of the parts. Also, can someone tell me what the purpose of the 2 keyed slots in the shaft are for? Looks like only one lip of the seal is in contact with the solid surface on the shaft. The other lip runs over the slot.
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:18pm
You could used that nut if she fit on tread but need to use the bellow seal in with pin and about the lipp it is the 2 rings seal were in contact with the shaft and the rear housing should have 3 pines for retaining ring seal  and maybe the housing ben cut for a bigger outside bearing cup
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 8:06pm
I ran into the same issue with the 2 different housings. if I remember correctly the first arrangement had the shield for the bearing on the outer housing and the second had the shield on the nut like you have. the first one has a plug on the outside of the bearing housing cover, the second does not. I do not believe you can use the second style nut with the first style housing, I think the cover on the nut hits and wont go deep enough. I used the second type nut and housing but I drilled the cover to allow it to accept a grease fitting as over time the outer bearing does not get enough oil and fails so I can now grease it. I had to drill the mount for the dozer to allow for the grease line also. I use a OO grease that is very fluid like. the covers are different depths also. As far as the groove on the axle, that is one place oil can get out to the outer bearing. the newer style nut also has grooves in it to allow oil to flow to the outer bearing. also, I had trouble the outer seal faces would not touch. I put it together and the new seal leaked a lot. what happened is the splines on the axle/sprocket combo were a little worn and allowed it to go on the shaft further than it did when new when tightened. check the depth before assembly that the outer seal has some pressure against it. I had to fabricate a spacer washer between the nut and sprocket to bring the nut out further to make the seal work. good luck!
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 9:01pm
Figuring it out. the housing with the smaller bore must be used with the flat unshielded nut. The housing with the bigger bore must be used with the large shielded nut. Same seal is used with both types.

On the bearing cover... lots of shims on the original. There’s must put a preload on that outboard bearing. How did you determine how many shims are used?
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 9:00am
So do the 2 steel seal rings go on before or after the bellows seal? Sorry, the 2 rings are not in this picture. My old parts were so worn out there was nothing left. The AC parts diagram for type 1 and 2 configurations is wrong. 

Edited by dyno - 16 Jul 2018 at 9:01am
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 10:25am
rubber bellows goes into sprocket nut and sealing rings toward outboard bearing
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:30pm
With the second type nut the bellow seal go in nut
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 1:45pm
Ok, according to the parts drawing I need the 3 pins on the steel seal ring that go into the housing correct?
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:19pm
not sure what your asking here but the seal bellows has 3 pins on each side.  1 side locks into sprocket nut and the other to 1 half of the sealing rings.  the other sealing ring has 3 pins to lock it to the bearing housing on the outside.   by locks i mean it prevents rotation

dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 3:54pm
CAL, thanks. You answered my question. All the pins must interlock all the way from the nut to the bearing housing.

Also trying to confirm that this “second type” nut and seal arrangement works on the “first type” axle I show in the pic. The slots in the axle are over the outboard lip of the seal. Strange engineering it seems. The “second type” axle is drilled for oil flow and does not have these keyed slots.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2018 at 4:22pm
yes basically everything rotates except the outside half sealing ring

dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 8:16pm
Seal will work with both types of nut. Book says to use glue to seal rotating ring and seal assembly to their respective sides, glue in, put a weight on them and let dry. Rubber gasket must also be there. I cannot remember the type of glue but I got it from McMaster-Carr.com. Resembles emblem glue, made by 3M
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2018 at 4:39am
Neoprene cement
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic