This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

816 forward reverse shuttle stopped working

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 816 forward reverse shuttle stopped working
    Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 3:58pm
went to pull out of the driveway. pushed down on the  clutch. when I let up on the clutch the tractor would not go foreword or backward. There is a little friction that tells me it's trying to go. My clutch pressure is 100 psi at 1000 rpm  any ideas. I changed the filter after this,  and nothing changed 
Sponsored Links

Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 6:04pm
Perhaps you have done this already... follow the linkage from your incher/clutch pedal to the forward reverser and try to determine that the linkage moves as far both ways where it is meant to slide the plunger in the forward reverser. if it happened suddenly like that it seems that maybe the valve operated by the pedal did not return to the spot where it should be for full pressure. My last 816 sat for 7 years and the reverser wouldn't work after that even though it did when it was parked. We did however put a new oil pump in it only because it needed a new seal and we bought the seal and a new pump for a good deal. The fwd rev. was flushed a couple of times and that made everything work like normal again.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2018 at 8:18pm
the pressure seems to vary. Pulled apart the checks they seem ok. Where do you get parts for shuttle.  
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:07am
The forward reverser in the 816 is quite a common Borg Warner unit that is used in a number of different construction machines including forklifts. There will be a tag with a model number on it somewhere, once you find it it will be easy to track down parts. If I can dig up specific info from the past when I ordered parts I'll get it to you.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 12:21am
One of the two 816's I had came with a ROPS canopy only, and somehow the fwd/rev. would take in rainwater and of course this is not good. The one with the enclosed cab never did. I assume your oil is clean... there is a screen to pull out and clean (at the bottom). In the event of contaminated oil, the converter needs to be drained as well, thankfully there is a drain plug on the converter in the 816. Sometimes maintenance on older machines has been neglected. This may not be the case for you however.
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 3:25pm
I'll check for the screen thanks
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2018 at 5:27pm
I once had a Case 680E with the same forward reverser transmission as the 816. One winter evening I parked it in the shed and everything was normal... in the middle of the night I was supposed to go snow pushing and the machine would not move. I felt this little nudging and could tell it was trying to move... but a slight flicker of movement on the wheels. It turned out to be the flex plate between the converter and the flywheel that was cracked since some time back and with enough movement on the converter wobbling the drive notches on the converter neck became damaged enough that the oil pump would no longer be propelled. My take on this is that without load the pump would spin enough to produce pressure but not enough to move the machine. We were able to build up the converter neck with weld and re-machine. Everything was normal once again... with the amount of labor it was not a quick fix but nothing was wrong with the forward reverser itself. 
When you do find the problem please update us here... wishing you success ASAP!!
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
I'm looking for the gaskets for the forward reverse valve bodies part number 4999357-9 and 4987542-8 and 4999358-7
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 6:54pm
taking the shuttle out. check the screen changed the filter. think piston seals are bad. would like to just swap it out for now.   Is there a place I can find a good use one in a 3 state radius of Wisconsin. And what do I look for in a used one 
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2018 at 8:01pm
finely got the shuttle apart. Have a cracked Front clutch cylinder. Looking for a replacement cylinder. not the same as Case 580 or the marine valvet drive

Edited by david a - 04 Oct 2018 at 7:13pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:13am
Check with General Gear, Idaho. Machinery trader has access to wrecking yards, get on Minnpar's site and ID the part number then do a parts search. That and when found look to Minnpar for seals and gaskets first as they have the remaining old Allis inventory.
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:22pm
checked there looking for piston 4987605-5 and front cylinder 4987612-1
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:23pm
would you know what the borg wener number for the foreword reverse shuttle is
orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 6:30pm
Try Josephs Industries. com

Also check out some of the photoś in FarmerJoeVT post about his 715 hoe transmission and torque converter I think the tag is visible in one of the photoś.  

Orangeman

Edited by orangeman - 02 Oct 2018 at 6:47pm
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 5:26am
according to the AC parts guy. I just bought the last front piston on the shelf in the world, for $375 and there are 3 more cylinders left for $75 . no more front clutches left . Bought  the last shift cable a few years ago. Time to do a nice shuttle rebuild, and sell the old girl. Parts are getting hard to come by
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 11:58am
Glad you got what you need although being Borg Warner I wouldn't buy into the scare that parts for them are no longer available (maybe in the AC guy's warehouse) as there are thousands of forklifts and other industrial machinery still in use with the BW fwd/rev shuttle trans. You can also buy them as complete exchange units already rebuilt. 
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 4:20pm
Life would get real easy. If I knew what model borg wener it is
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by david a david a wrote:

Life would get real easy. If I knew what model borg wener it is

Seeing you have it out of the machine is there not a tag riveted on or stamped anywhere? Sometimes you have to clean up the casing really well before numbers  shows up.
david a View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote david a Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 10:15pm
stamp in the casing is WG div 10-01-065-904 scc on the parts it's stamped T-11 400
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic