This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

615 backhoe hydraulics week.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 615 backhoe hydraulics week.
    Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 11:43am
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this one, but I'll try for something different anyway.
Hydraulics were plenty quick, and strong, but since the backhoe was going to a remote property, I opted to change all filters and motor oil.
After about 5 hours of use this cycle developed:
After about 30 minutes of work the hydraulics wouldslow down and get so week the outriggeres would not lift the rear end, and the front bucket would not lift the front end or lift much weight.  Let it cool, and it was a little better.
Condition worsened so I brought it home.  Changed hydraulic fluid, and it was very thin, and felt like it had no lubrication qualities to it.

New fluid in and the hydrualics are much faster, but not much stronger.  The outriggers will now lift it, and not the front bucket.  Likewise before I could move the rear end around with the dipper bucket.  Now if it is full and fully extended, it can't lift the load.
So I'm guessing I've burned up the pump with the old this fluid.  Any chance using heavier fluid will bring back some power at the cost of speed?

Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

We have new and used parts. 877-378-6543
Sponsored Links

orangeman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orangeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2018 at 3:38pm
Jim:  As a recommendation, based on the above am thinking there is another issue to consider other than going after the pump as the primary suspect.  This flows from the opening thought that indicates that the hydraulics were "plenty quick and strong". 

An easy check would be to make a manifold  using a Class A Glycerin filled gauge rated to 3000 psi to plumb into the outlet (pressure side of the pump) .   Once this assembly is plumbed to the output circuit you could read and PSI of the pump discharge.  Another good check would be flow in GPM.    Again,  a test manifold and meter would be needed.  

From conversation with N. Swinford, the 615 LBH relied on a 25 gpm tandem pump for both the loader and swing, boom, dipper operation of the backhoe.   That said, the pump supplied more than sufficient volume for good "fast" operation, and in some cases, depending on operator finesse, the swing movement would be too fast and cause a backlash at the end of the swing movement, thus shock moments that needed to be distributed to the balance of the machine.  

That said. if the 615 backhoe is the same as the 650 backhoe and I think they are/were both Henry products then there is a detailed  hydraulic system test procedure that covers your machine.   Two important areas to diagnose would be the circuit relief valve and the anti cavitation check valve.  I can supply the details of the test procedure if that would help - too many pages to describe here.  

Please send me a PM and will share with you what I have.    Hopefully, this will resolve the hydraulic issues with the wonderful 615.    AFN...

Orangeman
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 2:34am
I do hafta ask...you are running it at high RPM while using the hoe? I've seen some run these things at just over an idle and then complain that it's slow operating!
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 12:53pm
I do then to run it not much above idle.  But speed doesn't really bother me.  Just power.  I want out the other day started it, and it would lift the front end off with the loader no problem.  So the longer I run it I assume it warms up and looses hydraulic power.
Owner of OKtractor.com PM for an instant response on parts. Open M-F 9-6 Central.

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 2:49pm
Now I'm wondering if I used the right fluid?  Maybe it should have been a multi viscosity?  I used 303.

Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2018 at 7:18pm
Some recomend 10/30 weight , or can use Universal Fluid also , and RPM should be high say almost 2000 RPM to get circulation - would check also that the relief valve does not have crud in it and not allowing full pump output pressure to reach cylinders 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:49pm
Finally got to take the backhoe to my new house site and do some work.  Unfortuantely, it is POURING oil out the back of the oil pan.  The gasket was odd to me with a big gap right where the angled lip was.  Should I have done something at the side of that lip?  

JimD View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2018 at 8:52pm

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic