This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Model D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Model D
    Posted: 30 Jun 2018 at 9:34pm
Just bought a model D grader and have to get it home in the next couple days.--It dont have any manuals with it, so working on it is gonna be a challenge.--I used to have the 45 grader but this little guy is WAY different than a big ole 45.
Anybody have or know of D manuals?--Seller says that if you shift into second that gears lock and it wont move. possible bent shift fork? all other gears work, engine is in fairly good shape.--will post pix. when I get it home. thanks; ac fleet
Sponsored Links

DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2018 at 1:04pm
There are reproduction manuals from some of the suppliers on this site. Good luck with it. Shifter probably got bent by trying force it into one of the gears. Easy to remove and check for bends. 
Jack of all trades, master of none
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2018 at 8:43am
Congrats on your new addiction. Pics please. Would like to see it.
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 4:29pm
Got it home!---I drove that sucker the 7 or 8 miles!
Pix. as promised.

It has some oil leaks and needs the right blade cylinder re-built. --creeps down kinda fast.--someone put the ps unit on it and only ran it with an auto pump/res. and it don't work.--I will have to tie it in with the big pump to get enough flow .
First gear and reverse are WAY too fast, but that's what it has and I am using it! Does a good job.---NOT a 45, but it will do! LOL!!! thanks; ac fleet
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 6:41pm
Sweet Baby!
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Dnoym N. S. Can. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dnoym N. S. Can. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 8:08pm
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2018 at 10:16pm
HEY!!! thanks for the link!--That's just the manual that I need!! thanks; ac fleet
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 3:03pm
A couple of things that I noticed. Your rear tires do not all match. There is no rear end differential and the front and rear wheels on the chain boxes are locked together so the four wheels will be continually fighting each other leading to wear and tear on the tires and drive train without matching tires particularly if it will be driven on pavement.  I adapted power steering to the D grader that I use to own and used an automotive power steering pump. My system worked so well that I could turn it lock to lock with one finger with the grader stationary and the engine just idling. It had a small,hydraulic cylinder between the the tie rod and front axle and a control valve on the drag link from the steering box.
Jack of all trades, master of none
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 5:39pm
Good afternoon.
The 'D' grader is a great machine. What Don said about the tires matching is very important. If you had the 'aux.' transmission you would have been able to go 66% slower in all gears. What a great option; but , few graders had it.
   Developed in 1949, the first graders had an 8" round beam. The beam was changed to an 8" square beam in mid 1961.
   1st engine were A C 201. In 1953 the engine went to the 226. In 1959 the engine was a 262. The DD (diesel) was introduced in 1954.
   Production went to 1971.
   It appears that your grader may have had a scarifier on it. Did you get the missing pieces for it?
   I have a 1967 'D Special'. It also has hyd. brakes.
   Ross.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2018 at 10:11pm
The scarifier was not with the grader when Earl bought it!---Wish it had one!
From what I can tell, the serial # might be D- 1514 ---Can't make it out real good! thanks; ac fleet
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:41am
Hi.    D-1514 would be a 1951 production. Does the engine have the typical side plate of a 201 motor?
   The typical problem of not being able to match H.P.( for the grader blade to move the gravel ) to the ground speed ( too fast ) is common. If you 'speed up' the motor to handle the load on the blade, you are generally going too fast. If you 'throttle back' because of your ground speed, then you lose your H P. Extremely frustrating and hard on the motor.
   The step-down, aux. creeper transmission ended the frustration. It gave you the choice of 8 forward and 2 rear gears. By shifting from high range to low range, you enjoyed a 66% reduction. I do not know for sure, but I think that this aux. tranny may have been made by Eaton. These creepers are hard to find, like hens teeth. The creeper tranny makes all the difference in doing a good job of grading without the frustration to the operator.
   [IMG]uploads/10101/jpg2015.jpg[/IMG
   My 1967 'D-Special' with Calvin Schmidt at the controls ( sorry about the picture size ).
   Enjoy your new toy.   Ross.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 7:44am
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Ross D. Ross D. wrote:

Good afternoon.
The 'D' grader is a great machine. What Don said about the tires matching is very important. If you had the 'aux.' transmission you would have been able to go 66% slower in all gears. What a great option; but , few graders had it.
   Developed in 1949, the first graders had an 8" round beam. The beam was changed to an 8" square beam in mid 1961.
   1st engine were A C 201. In 1953 the engine went to the 226. In 1959 the engine was a 262. The DD (diesel) was introduced in 1954.
   Production went to 1971.
   It appears that your grader may have had a scarifier on it. Did you get the missing pieces for it?
   I have a 1967 'D Special'. It also has hyd. brakes.
   Ross.

Ross

IIRC it continued as a Fiat Allis and has resurfaced as a Noram

http://www.noram65.com/
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 6:09pm
   Hi again.
   Not to hijack this issue: but, these seem to be such a great machine.
   On the last construction site, before I retired, the subcontractor did all the final grading with a Fiat Allis, open station, which he had just imported from Florida.

A nice restoration:

Ross.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2018 at 10:17pm
Bottom pik. has wheel lean,--mine don't!--- would have look at the motor to see about the side pan. thanks; ac fleet
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2018 at 9:26am

Here is a picture of an early model 'D' that is still in use on a regular routine around this cottage country. Ron does a lot of cottage laneways and regular small jobs with his excavation company. Over the years he has added a front blade and power steering. The motor is currently being worked on, although I noticed last evening that it has left the repair shop. No doubt, back to work.

Ross.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2018 at 9:32pm
It does have the side plate on this engine. thanks; ac fleet
LangdonStevenson View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LangdonStevenson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 7:11am
Hi AC,

I am looking for a copy of the D model grader manual that you downloaded back in 2018. The link provided doesn't work any more.  Would you happen to have a copy still?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Regards,
Langdon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic