This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

WC Overheating Radiator Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsinn83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WC Overheating Radiator Question
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:47pm
Ok so I purchase a radiator 15 years ago and unfortunately it sat without being hooked up. I made the mistake of attaching it without making sure it was properly washed out. I have had a recurring overheating problem with the tractor. I put in new thermostat thinking that was the problem but to no avail. I thought it might be because the cat put too much pressure on the tank but that was not the problem either. I was running it today and it overheated but before it did it back gurgled and threw out a bunch of crud from the radiator the cap wasn't on tight. What should be my next move? What would you guys do.
Sponsored Links

jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:30pm
If it sat that long probably got mouse stuff in it, will maybe need to be completely cleaned.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
polarbear View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote polarbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:36pm
mud dobbers to love those kind of things
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:51pm
With the hose connections off and the cap off flush it from the bottom connection with as much of a volume of water as you can get from a garden hose, look for junk coming out. It might take a trip to a radiator shop to run wires through the tubes to finish cleaning them. Soap with the flush won't hurt.

There might be discussion in the WC shop manual that I have on line in 8 or 10 pieces in my directory: http://geraldj.networkiowa.com/Trees

Running hot can also come from running lean on fuel and with late ignition timing.

Gerald J.
jrsinn83 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsinn83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 7:06pm
WC overheating update....so i pulled the rad and flushed it out and sure enough something got in there because it had some crud come out. I also drained the block and noticed it had flakes of hard crud in it as well. Back flushed it the best i could because the farm has no running water. I dumped water through the water manifold and used a air hose through the block drain to flush the system. After 5 times the water was no longer cruddy. You guys think this answers the overheating issue. Back flush good enough?
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 9:51pm
Did you test or replace the Radiator cap and Thermostat?  Sometimes a radiator hose may look healthy on the exterior but may have an internal flap which can impede the flow of the coolant.

jrsinn83 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrsinn83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 11:16pm
Yea its all new. Rad is new...well new ten years ago but it was never used.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 6:30am
Keep flushing radiator and block. Mud dauber nests will dissolve with water. Mouse nests with grass clippings, seed hulls, etc will take more effort to flush out. I'd keep flushing all Summer and run plain water until all the junk is out. Then in the Fall put in anti freeze. You can use some radiator flush from an auto parts store or use 1/2 cup of liquid laundry detergent and fill with plain water. Run it up to temperature and drain block and radiator. Repeat. Don't put cold water in hot engine to avoid cracking block or cylinder head. Allow engine to cool before flushing and refilling  with cold water. Also make sure fan belt is in good shape and at proper tension. Use a good radiator cap rated at 7 to 10 PSI. 
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 7:33am
Take the radiator somewhere to have it flushed even if you just take it home. There are radiator flushing solutions you can buy.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2018 at 7:54am
Be careful of  some radiator flush that's out there, the wrong flush can eat (or clean up) the O-rings on the sleeves, seal in the water pump then you are looking at more repairs.
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic