This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

price of scrap iron?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: price of scrap iron?
    Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 4:47pm
Took some scrap iron to Wabash in Kansas city yesterday.  I have taken quite a bit of stuff there for 5 Cents a pound.  This day they had a sign, not taking iron today (or steel).  Went to a couple other places and no there too.   I was wondering if anyone else has done this lately with the same result.  Is it a local thing, or did China quit buying iron?
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 5:20pm

China just threw another curveball at the global recycling industry.

The Chinese government says it's extending last year's ban on imports of items such as unsorted paper and some plastics to dozens more types of recyclable materials, including steel waste, used auto parts and old ships.

For decades, other countries shipped containers full of scrap and waste to China for recycling. But Beijing stunned the recycling industry last year with its ban on imports of 24 varieties of solid waste.

Now, it's adding 32 more types to the list -- half of them at the end of this year, and the other half at the end of 2019.

China has billed the ban as a way to reduce environmental damage, but some experts say it could make it worse.

"The new restrictions, just like the old restrictions, are poorly considered measures that will worsen the global environment and China's competitiveness," said Adam Minter, author of "Junkyard Planet: Travels in the Billion Dollar Trash Trade."

The measures, announced Thursday, create a new headache for countries that depend on China to recycle their waste. They're still struggling to adjust to the ban announced in 2017 and will need years to expand their own facilities, Minter said.

Edited by steve(ill) - 24 Jun 2018 at 5:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
kenbob View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:08pm
Thanks.  I figured that had something to do with it.  They had a pretty big pile of scrap.  I wasn't about to haul my stuff home 20 miles and wait for 5 or 10 bucks so I asked them if they would take it for free and they did.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 6:18pm
Last week was getting 10c/lb for 'mixed tin' or whatever the lowest price is. Should find out tue or wed what the new price will be. Got a nice Chevy to haul over there.
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:37pm
I hope it don’t go to low. I been eye ballin a 800 case at the local scrap yard and I don’t need it.
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:52pm
Does not add up.
China lives on scrap iron from the USA.
If they cut that off, their manufacturing cost will go way up.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 9:15pm
USA and many other countries don't " recycle" because of the cost and EPA REGULATIONS involved in the disassembly / melting / separating of materials....... CHINA never had those Environmental Regulations........ Now they want to be a "GREEN" country like everyone else in the world, so they are cutting back drastically on what they take in... YES, in the end, the price of NEW materials will go up ( around the world) if there is no recycled materials.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 8:26am
There is a scrap iron dealer accross the road from where I work. There appears to be a steady stream of people bringing in old iron to them. And I would say that a couple times a week they fill two rail cars full of iron and ship it out. Plus, very often, there are semis loading baled iron up and hauling it out. I am not sure what they are paying customers who bring the iron in, but they sure do move a lot of it in and out. Darrel
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 2:27pm
I just took 1400# of scrap ,including a complete,operational  #14 loader and got $140, so 10 cents a pound.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 5:05pm
that's $200. per TON......pretty good price right now !
Calvin Schmidt View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Calvin Schmidt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 7:33pm
Son-in-law and youngest daughter are in the land clearing business. Get paid to grind wood etc and take scrap off jobsites. Had a huge pile of scrap in their yard and cleaned up about 6 weeks ago 300 tons. had scrap dealers bid and then bring containers. Over 10 cents per pound and enough to build their new storage building. Timing is everything.

I don't want to get into politics but trade wars will create weird situations.  
Nothing is impossible if it is properly financed
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2018 at 10:42pm
Was told 10 cents a pound and they will provide a dumpster if i can fill it.
allis g View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allis g Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 12:21am
Yard here hasn't payed for scrap steel in a long time.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 1:39am
Got a young guy cleaning out my scrap.  He's been coming out for loads 2 or 3 times a week so he must be getting something for it!  It sure looks nicer with that big pile gone.  Only have the 2, 2 bottom pin hitch plows left for him. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2018 at 7:14am
I got $14.85 for a washer and dryer yesterday!LOL  Good thing there were other reasons to take the truck to that town.LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic