This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RISING FROM THE ASHES

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RISING FROM THE ASHES
    Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 11:16am
Ok...got busy and didn't get this posted earlier. Got rid of the government agencies and was finally able to backfill and compact...this was a couple of months ago.

photo P4010077_zpskpq0zdgw.jpg
 photo P4010076_zpskvckn6pg.jpg
My soils engineer wanted it ripped both ways before compacting back. photo P4010078_zps8qddhffq.jpg
 photo P4020079_zpssvy8jzj6.jpg
It kind of went like this as we brought it along
 photo P4030085_zpsdywybusl.jpg
 photo P4030087_zpsha5cxw73.jpg
Had to do several lifts...the last one looked like this
 photo P4030089_zpsevkxol7b.jpg
 photo P4030090_zpstt8hedwk.jpg
 photo P4040092_zpsfwrw48ht.jpg
The final approved version looked like this.
 photo photo_zpswllgun56.jpg
So as I said that was several months ago. We had to wait for the building permit to be approved and some better weather....our contractor also had other projects going.
So this was one week ago starting at 5:30 AM The cement crew of 10 or 12 guys was subed out by our contractor and came with the pumper truck...they did a super job.  FYI  when the first person showed up at 5:30..the dog and I left on the 4wheeler to change irrigation pipe....wanted no part of the cement pour! my wife took all the pictures.
 photo P6130002_zpszcaimdmg.jpg
 photo P6130007_zpszemphupy.jpg
 photo P6130011_zpsshuivfqv.jpg
 photo P6130014_zps8mhitfof.jpg
 photo P6130020_zpslllrvmsp.jpg
 photo P6130023_zpsyoc9pcbi.jpg
As I said the cement was a week ago...So as of last night at sundown it looked like this.....
 photo P6200001_zpsxzh3j05m.jpg
BUT WAIT!!! Lets put it in more perspective... Here's the AC BBQ...still in service..same place.  Thought I should just start a new post for the transition from burned to new construction.

photo P6200006_zpsg33b8hfn.jpg

Here's a link to the "center of hell" post for those who didn't read it.
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 1:49pm
How deep's the crawl space Mel? Looks great!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 2:29pm
Dave... It must be 2'..you can see it in front of the BBQ pit. Everyone knows that I don't plan on going under there.LOL
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2018 at 3:15pm
Mel glad to see progress being made on your house.
Tom
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 12:57am
Yup, good to see you moving forward.  Looks like you will be in your new house before the one year anniversary of loosing the old place.  Hopefully life will calm down from now!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 1:58am
Saying from  South African rangelands Professor Scott

"There is no such thing as the status quo.  The only status ids the status fluctatus"

But I reckon Mel could take a bit less fluctatus for a while.

Edited by Ian Beale - 22 Jun 2018 at 3:21pm
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:32am
Mel, Gosh you have a pretty location, what a view, just amazing how mother nature can begin repairing the damage and start all over again.  What's all that yella iron doin there??? I am sure glad to see that things are moving forward for you. Best of luck    Tad
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2018 at 10:35pm
Sure looking good. Hoping you never have to do it again!
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 7:39am
Thanks for the up-date, Mel. I've been kind of wondering about how things were going for you. Looks like there's not going to be a basement under the house. Is that something of your own personal preference, or just something that is not done in your neck of the woods...? Someday I hope to get far enough ahead to put up a new house, and have been debating basement/no basement for years, if the new house ever happens. My reasoning for no basement is that I am just plain sick and tired of stairs, and having a basement be nothing but a "catch all." My argument for a basement, and I think this argument is going to win, is that I about freak out during nasty thunderstorms (they tend to produce tornadoes) and I want to be able to head down to a corner in a basement and sleep without fear. Darrel
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2018 at 8:50am
Well, if there's no basement... you put up a big giant barn!!  Yeah, that's it!  LOL!  Glad to see things are lookin' up for ya Mel & the Mrs. !

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 12:58am
WOW! thanks for the pics Mel! I was beginning to thunks that maybe to drove over your camera or something! I missed seeing you on here! glad it's coming along for you and like Tom says....hope this will be the last time to have to do this! I really did thunks you might puts a fall out shelter under there...
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 2:34pm
Thanks guys for the nice comments....no there is no basement...haven't had a tornado yet....never had an 80 MPH fire either...so we'll see
  Here's what it looked looked like this morning
 photo P6260015_zpszntcatjs.jpg
The trusses won't be ready till mid July...do to there backlog...framing will be done in several days.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 2:57pm
What changed, when I was on here a couple days ago the pictures opened today none of them open
Tom
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2018 at 3:46pm
something musta hickup'd on your machine, all loaded fine here!

Looking good Mel!
jerbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jerbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:05am
You and your wife are definitely "Phoenix's". Rising from the ashes anew.

Congratulations
HD16DC, Bobcat 863 Turbo, Oliver 1855, John Deere 855,
Bob D. (La) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob D. (La) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 5:20am
Thanks for the updates and pics Mel. You have been through one tough situation. Though not complete you are well on the way to seeing the end of this long road. God Bless.
When you find yourself in a hole,PUT DOWN THE SHOVEL!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2018 at 3:16pm
Yes and sure hope them fire out there are way far off this time.
Tom
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 5:30am
Mel, you're not burning up out there again, are you? Keep reading about wild fires in northern California. Darrel
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:48am
Chances are he will not have any fire worries for 5 to 10 years. Yes the dry grass can and will burn every year,but the short brush the fire folks call chaparral is what makes the heat to more or less cause spontaneus combustion of buildings. The first 5 to 10 years after a fire the chaparral will be small and very able to live and grow on the small amount of rain we normally get. But after it gets bigger it will die back and start getting more and more dry tinder just waiting for a chance to burn. Add in tree limbs that fall and trees that have had there time and die or fall you get the inferno that we are known for.

It is surprising how much it can take to get a fire started in this brush if the dry tinder has not had a chance to build up for years. A very good reason to have more controlled burns in favorable weather conditions.  The fire control agencies have come around to embrace this so now the air pollution people are doing there best to stop control burns.  So major fires will continue to make big news for many more years. Of course when dealing with nature there is no guarantee that man can really control anything so always danger in a controlled burn as well that will make people afraid. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 4:22pm
Could have only figured the Misguided Tree Huggers were at the bottom of the issue. Cannot do control burns so tinder builds and builds then once a fire starts Katie Bar the Door!!
AC Mel View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2018 at 11:33pm
Yep, Rays got it right on....and it sounds like Dave's got it figured out too.   Darrel, we are about an hour away from both of these fires...lots of brush to burn too...we turned down assignments for both of them for water trucks and our dozer.  Just to much going on after our own last year fires. Going to Or. to look at a feller buncher to do a logging job on our burned timber. I'll keep you posted LOL
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 8:02am
We have those type twits here too Mel, just not as populated! They cry everytime a Conservation Dept. burn occurs, "Air Pollution" "Damage to Nature" and so on, never come back after to see wild flowers blooming or the seeds that require fire heat to crack the husks sprouting or the harmful insects cleaned off by it as ticks and fleas, that would be giving into the reality of fire being a necessity.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2018 at 8:07am
Thanks for checking in and giving us a report, Mel. Good luck with the logging project. Some pictures of that project would be kind of cool, too. Darrel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2018 at 2:29am
yep...I wanna see pics of that feller/buncher! glad yer coming along with the new house good. I do thinks it's to small for ya tho! but prolly feel like a mansion after being in the trailer!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 1:47pm
Sure been a spell since MEL posted hope he's ok and them fires out there are keep there distance.
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2018 at 11:14pm
I think the roof trusses should have been delivered by now too, maybe too busy supervising to post!
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2018 at 1:10am
shucks...he's prolly on vacation!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 12:17am
talk to us MEL....we all is worried about ya!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2018 at 8:48pm
Sounds like he's gonna be having a lot of fun.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2018 at 10:36am
wonder where the hot tub will be in his new house?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic