This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need HD5 Sprocket Shaft, Housing and Track Chain

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need HD5 Sprocket Shaft, Housing and Track Chain
    Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:07pm
I’m needing right side sprocket shaft, large retaining nut, outboard bearing housing with bearings and 5 track chain links for my HD5.

How difficult is it to change the sprocket shaft?

Sponsored Links

JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:11pm
Looks like it ran quite a while with the bearing bad.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
wayne IA View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayne IA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:43am
There are two different axles that were used, one is a 6 spline and I think the newer one is 20 splines.  You will need to pull the sprocket to see which o f the axles you have for sure.  I was able to get bearing housings, bearings, seals, and axles when I did mine from Thill Track and Tractor in Eu Claire, WI.  That was a few years ago though.  

Been a few years since I did mine, but after rolling the truck frame ahead and removing the nut and sprocket.  You need to pull the bottom off the final drive to remove a keeper or nut (can't remember for sure).  Then you should be able to remove the axle.  FYI the sprocket splines are tapered and if everything is tight you may need to build a puller to get the sprocket off.  The sprocket nut I believe is supposed to be torqued to 1500 foot pounds.  There are different outboard bearing housings too.  One the seal sits inside the housing, the other has a different piece on the nut for the seal to sit in.
CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 7:13am
John Parks @ General Gear should have all you need and is in ID.

Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
dynodawg View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dynodawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 9:17am
I'm pretty sure its a 6 spline. It's an early 50's model. Not looking forward to pulling that sprocket! So after the sprocket is off, how is the shaft removed?

gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 12:34pm
You better removed the bearing piece on shaft and the big nut and sprocket before removed the screw lock on bulgear
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 4:52pm
After you drop the truck frame down to get clearance to remove the sprocket - then the rest will come easy - inner and outer timken bearings on axle shaft - 
 Bull gear rides on this shaft also . Next is the outer seal is completely gone in your picture so something else you need along with probbly inner seal also .
  I do have a extra axel - large spline 

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 22 May 2018 at 5:00pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2018 at 7:10pm
Thanks Coke, doesn’t sound too bad after the sprocket is pulled. I’ve never lubed the bearings, do they get lube from the oil in the final drive?
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 5:38pm
the bearings are lubed from the final drive oil. that oil is also supposed to come out and lube the outer bearing that went bad. a lot of times these ports get clogged or wont let oil out for whatever reason. when I did mine I drilled and tapped a 1/8" npt port on the outer cap and put 00 grease in to be sure the outer bearings are lubed. if you do it be careful not to overlube as the seals are bellows and rubber and can be easily blown out from grease gun pressure. once you get the sprocket off, the inner seal is bolted to the housing and comes off. now take the lower final drive access plate off and there are 2 keepers bolted to the bull gear. remove them, put a jack under the bull gear and the axle will come out. make sure the outer bearing housing you get is the same as the one you have as there are at least 2 designs. best way to tell is the size of the outer cap. I got all my seals from general gear. no shafts but have all the seals available. I had trouble with my sprocket and shaft being worn and actually going on too far and allowing the outer seal to leak. I had to make a washer to go between the nut and sprocket to bring the seal out far enough to contact. not rocket science but just be mindful when reassembling. sprocket nut is torqued to 1500 ft lbs. what is wrong with the track links?
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2018 at 8:30pm
Thanks very much for all the detail! I will be pulling the parts this weekend when I head up to the ranch and your info will be helpful. Do you think I can pull the sprocket by tapping a wedge around it or will I need a large puller.? Yes, one of the track links broke. Very thin on one side of the machine. I knew it was coming. The other side is fine, had been replaced by the previous owner. II have another chain that looks good, just short 5 links.
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 2:24pm
Got all my parts, starting re-assembly. Couple of questions...

1. How are do you torque the large sprocket nut to 1500 lbs? I just removed it easily with a pipe wrench. Will have to make a 3 3/4” wrench to tighten it down!

2. I Did not notice the bull gear keeper plate detail when I removed it. It doesn’t fit in the slot on the new axle and the gear slides freely back and forth. Should I make a new, larger keeper plate that sits in the slot?
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 4:56pm
You are missing a parts the lock gear retaining
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:25pm
The keeper is missing for the bull gear. What you have there is the bolt lock, you bend the tabs over once tight. The keeper is just like the lock but thicker. Check your parts. If you need one I can look if I have one. It is probably hardened so making one is doubtful. As far as tightening the bull gear, I used a pipe wrench and an 8' pipe slipped over the end and tighten. I figured 8' pipe, 200 pounds on the end makes it about 1600 ft lbs. I also took a sledge and tapped on the sprocket to help set it on the taper and then rechecked the torque. I also bypassed the lock on the hub by taking a piece of key and welded it to the sprocket to keep it from loosening. Good luck!
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
dyno View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dyno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2018 at 5:58pm
Thanks! Yep, figured that out just after I posted this...found the keeper! Will do the 8’ pipe trick.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic